Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 108071 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #300 on: July 09, 2014, 08:24:39 pm »

You are told what kind of masterpiece a dwarf creates.  A dwarf who dreams of creating a masterpiece gets a note on her thoughts saying that this dream has been realized.  However, there is no accompanying happy thought.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 09, 2014, 08:31:10 pm »

Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 09, 2014, 08:31:28 pm »

Corpse catapults, while do not send the plague to your enemies, but can scare the enemy to death now.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 09, 2014, 08:42:51 pm »

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but I'm quite annoyed by how farm plots only show stuff available to plant in this season with complete disregard to what season you have selected. Having to wait until the season starts to see what crops I can actually plant is very cumbersome.

Here's hoping it's just a bug and not an intentional change.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 09, 2014, 09:00:10 pm »

Dwarfs found the dorms on their second sleep cycle.  So that's good.
War dogs are still failing training with "blah blah blah, piss off, blah" messages every 10 seconds
I have a mystery seed in my stocks and kitchen screens with a blank name and description.
Should I cook it?  Plant it?  It's a mystery.

I keep trying to drop trees on people and buildings and nothing is getting hurt/destroyed.  Sigh.

Oooh, migrants are here.  And I need more booze.  For me, the dwarfs are fine.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 09, 2014, 09:03:41 pm »

Great. Now I've got my fliers crashing into stuff now.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 09, 2014, 09:14:43 pm »

I installed fortress defense and it was pretty darn entertaining watching the sieges of dark stranglers. First, the moment they saw incoming dwarves they bravely ran away, climbing up trees. Running was extremely wise, because whenever a dwarf punched a strangler the struck part would explode in a mess of gore.

Combat training seems to have significantly changed. I was using a squad of 3 all who embarked with proficient weapon user and proficient discipline and I did my standard small-squad sparring thing, and after a year or so weapon skills had only increased by a few levels, and one had even become a wrestler, because her wrestling and unarmed skills had surpassed her spear dwarf skill. Fighting skill had developed normally. It seems dwarves must be showing a much greater tendency to using non-weapon attacks, especially striking. I don't believe general skill gain was any slower - as mentioned one had become a talented-ish spear user, and an even higher level wrestler, so had gained plenty of skill, just not in stabbing things. Observer skill now appears in the list, and discipline skill trains quite quickly.

It appears that personality has more affect on dwarves. Early on I was surprised to find my miner taking a nice break. I checked his profile and he like totally didn't believe in working hard. His break was both longer and came earlier than other dwarves. I suppose such guys naturally belong in the military, or as haulers. It was okay because later he fell off my magma stack to his death.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 09, 2014, 09:43:01 pm »

Discipline skill does get trained in the barracks.  At least by Individual weapon drills, which is what my 2 migrant marksdwarf-recruits are currently doing.  They've both gained Dabbling discipline.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 09, 2014, 10:06:03 pm »

A carp fleeing? THIS IS NOT DF ANYMORE

It was fleeing from a giant sponge, the creature which usurped its title of "king of the sea" by virtue of being unkillable prior to pulping. So it's weirdly appropriate IMHO.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 09, 2014, 10:18:11 pm »

I like what they have done with hunting: I had no hunters, starting out with. Took me a while to get settled in, and in my haste, I forgot to make a farm. So I recruited my Wood Burner to become a hunter.

A herd of elephants were nearby, and we had tons of arrows. Instead of sneaking up on them like the last version, she SPRINTS AT FULL SPEED at them, and shooting wildly. She managed to hit one, and then she shot it full of arrows until she was out of them, and returned to the fort.

The elephant bled to death shortly after, but now she won't go and return the kill. Nor, will my butcher go and clean the animal. It also shows up as "missing" in the Dead/Missing Tab, even though she's walked over there twice for some strange reason, but still reported as "missing."

On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 10, 2014, 12:17:05 am »

I have to say, my forts are suffering dramatically without Therapist to specialize, dedicate and organize my migrant waves.  That and the FPS performance decrease really starts to crush the game after a few years and 80+ dwarves.
Still, I'm loving the "horrified" mechanics.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 10, 2014, 12:44:08 am »

In addition to a pocket world, you could also probably speed up FPS drag in the new version for now by:
1) reducing the number of civs (an option in advanced world gen parameters)
2) Going through some of the tree entries in the raw files and making them have smaller diameters and fewer of them having fruits and flowers and stuff. Hack and slash text. Not sure that's laggy, but I suspect it is to have half the map calculating random fruit drop patterns and then keeping track of it all, etc. every 2 weeks.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 10, 2014, 01:03:30 am »

Messing around in World Gen to replicate one of my favorite worlds in 34.11, a predominantly swamp and lake region for all your tigermen, alligator, hippo and giant cat needs.

Preliminary testing shows that civilizations die out really easily in the first few years if you ramp up savagery and the megabeast and titan numbers. They don't usually survive the first decade in a highly savage world, and those that do don't usually make it past the first century. Probably doesn't help that I ramped up savagery and decreased the number of non-wetlands areas that civilizations might expand to. Will be trying to tinker with the setting to get a perfect balance. Looking forward to get some dragon taming done in this version.

Speaking of dragons...

Apparently, Dragons can be born in world gen now. Though a quick perusal of the raws shows that they still don't have a child:1 or baby:1 tag.

Will be conducting more science over the weekend. Possibly.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 10, 2014, 01:30:55 am »

Dragons could always be born in Worldgen, or atleast could in the last version. its just kinda rare.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:37:03 am by AMTiger »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 10, 2014, 02:02:40 am »

It's not very rare if you change the number of MB at the beginning. Do a 300 or 400 MB start and you will see...all creatures except magical and true evil creatures can reproduce.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44