Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 108096 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #315 on: July 10, 2014, 02:15:06 am »

Is anyone not having issues with constant crashes and save corruption? I'd like to figure out if there's anything I can do to actually be able to play for a reasonable amount of time while we wait for the first update.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2014, 02:22:54 am »

Doing some initial science on tree fruits/nuts, I have determined that adding the [OUTDOOR_ORCAHRDS} and [USE_GOOD_PLANTS] tags on the mountain entity does not allow fortress mode dwarves to collect fruits or nuts in the audumn--- however, it DOES enable a "Fruit" and "Nuts" menu option in the trade request screen, so as long as the dwarven civ has access to a surface broadleaf forest, then you can still get these items. (Means you can emabark someplace else, and still get the interesting fruits. I liken this as similar to before we had the milking job, and we wanted cheese. Trade for the milk in barrels, make the cheese. Same thing here-- trade for the fruit/nuts, make food/soap)

On the "crashing" issue:
If it helps, the linux version gives some cryptic output when the game crashes, if you launch it from a terminal session. Looks like it is a memory allocation bug.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2014, 02:43:07 am »

My three most notable issues in a 1-year-old fortress is that:

1. Flying creatures don't fly anywhere, they seem to statically hover in one spot, unmoving, forever.  Occasionally, one will fall, allowing my military dwarves to swoop in for a kill.  (Then and only then will any new animals ever come.)

2. Wildly fluctuating FPS -- possibly may have something to do with pathfinding or something, besides the calendar and the fruit.  I go from 40 FPS to around 12-15 if I dare to create a large storage plot that sends dwarves out onto the surface to get things.

3.  A lot of things aren't finishing.  For instance, I had two turkeys sitting on nests.  One turkey's nest hatched on time.  The other turkey has been sitting on their eggs for close to a year.  I can't train war or hunting dogs, either.  My trainer perpetually tries to train them but gives the 'no animal' error.  The dogs aren't pastured and I've never had this issue before.

Outside of gameplay, I've just noticed that it takes several worlds to get one where one race hasn't died out before the 100-year-mark. 

Other than all that, all I got to say is SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.  :P

I love that the world now continues during gameplay.  I'd hunt down Tarn and kiss him if it wasn't considered assault.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2014, 03:44:20 am »

I like what they have done with hunting: I had no hunters, starting out with. Took me a while to get settled in, and in my haste, I forgot to make a farm. So I recruited my Wood Burner to become a hunter.

A herd of elephants were nearby, and we had tons of arrows. Instead of sneaking up on them like the last version, she SPRINTS AT FULL SPEED at them, and shooting wildly. She managed to hit one, and then she shot it full of arrows until she was out of them, and returned to the fort.

The elephant bled to death shortly after, but now she won't go and return the kill. Nor, will my butcher go and clean the animal. It also shows up as "missing" in the Dead/Missing Tab, even though she's walked over there twice for some strange reason, but still reported as "missing."

Make sure you have a refuse pile and your dwarves are ordered to pick up refuse outside.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2014, 03:59:49 am »

Outside of gameplay, I've just noticed that it takes several worlds to get one where one race hasn't died out before the 100-year-mark. 
Toady said that armies are always successful when they attack, and that this will only be true temporarily.

So given that information, it doesn't seem surprising to me that die outs are more common for now. Flip control of sites every 5 seconds and just statistically, you're bound to get more situations more often where all of one civ happens to be taken at once. Should go away when he makes them have actual battles.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 10, 2014, 04:11:18 am »

Is anyone not having issues with constant crashes and save corruption? I'd like to figure out if there's anything I can do to actually be able to play for a reasonable amount of time while we wait for the first update.

I've been trying various things with no luck - dwarf mode tends to run fine for me up until I leave the DF process and start a new one, at which point all past saves crash. I'd like to hear from anyone who's found a way to make it work for them.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 10, 2014, 04:49:57 am »

I've played fortresses for a year or so and not encountered crashes.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2014, 05:29:46 am »

Me. The only thing I can suggest is black magic, though. I have no idea why I'm having such good luck.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 10, 2014, 06:12:37 am »

It's not very rare if you change the number of MB at the beginning. Do a 300 or 400 MB start and you will see...all creatures except magical and true evil creatures can reproduce.

I generally went with 1500 MB and 5500 SMB and generally you'd only get about 4 new dragons born in athousand years

However in the new version, with that many megabeasts no civilisation survives year 40

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 10, 2014, 07:00:36 am »

Really ?

I have regularly in the last version (and in this one too) with my 300MB-medium world- dragons with 5 or 6 babies, and even some grand-parents dragons.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 10, 2014, 07:13:53 am »

pocket world -> start new game -> dorf fortress - > DIG DIG DIG -> pooof
>Mr Urist McDigger: I'mthekingofdorfsgimmemythroneroom
-> poof tantrum of no rooms available
-> poof tantrum spiral
-> poof fail
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 10, 2014, 07:57:11 am »

Oops wrong thread
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:13:14 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 10, 2014, 08:08:10 am »

So far i have been quite impressed of the new update.
Got a fort kicking for close to 2 years had an goblin invasion even.

Then in the middle of invasion i checked one of my military dwarfs relation screen after one
of them had been killed and the game instantly closed and cheased to work.

So... yeah, bug time.

Rotten_Karma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 10, 2014, 08:25:27 am »

Got 40.01 and gen'd a world.  Yay world gen is much faster.
First game, Adventure, human outsider becuse i didn't want to be an goblin, started in an abandoned pits area, died to boogiemen. 
Second game pretty much same as first. 
Third game, new world, crashed on talking to my god. 

Fouth game, reclaimed a site.  Neat, a cobaltite building aboveground.  And magmaforges on the bottom level. Yay! Unpause.  Oh, the circus has arrived.  Whelp, I guess that's was why this site was abandoned. 

Now to attempt to make a normal fortress. 

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 10, 2014, 08:31:44 am »

Building a settlement near a waterfall is a bad idea. Every once in a while someone gets the idea to climb underneath it, and gets flushed 10 z-levels down, with predictable results. And then tries to get out of the water by climbing up...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 44