Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 108099 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #330 on: July 10, 2014, 09:37:41 am »

I embarked on a forest and all the grass bloomed into ungatherable "cloudbloom flowers" in the spring. It was the prettiest thing I've ever seen expressed in Bicycle card symbols.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 10, 2014, 09:57:57 am »

So, if trees occupy multiple tiles in three dimensions now that leads to two problems, don't you think:

1. When breaching the cavern, fungiwood and whatnot can no longer spread in my fortress, as I only dig out layers that are one z-level high. Maybe workaround by making separate treefarms of several z-levels. WE don't know how long the tree growing takes, so maybe treefarming is not viable after all.

2. The old problem of proportion. So, now we have massive trees. Now, when a bronze colossus or an Giant Elephant man shows up, he's still much smaller than most of the trees. Generally the problem is always there and probably won't be solved, but now it is a lot more evident.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 10, 2014, 10:04:04 am »

1. When breaching the cavern, fungiwood and whatnot can no longer spread in my fortress, as I only dig out layers that are one z-level high. Maybe workaround by making separate treefarms of several z-levels. WE don't know how long the tree growing takes, so maybe treefarming is not viable after all.

If anyone can get a fortress to survive long enough for a sapling to sprout and grow up, then we can get back to you on that one.  However, it's worth pointing out that at least some of the cavern wood-mushrooms only give a single log when chopped, rather than a pile of logs.  It's difficult to test anything right now, though, given how unstable the game has been for most of us.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 10, 2014, 10:14:52 am »

A vile force of darkness has arrived.

Wait, what? It is early autumn in my first year!
Oh well, luckily I had some cage traps built and managed to lure most goblins in (it was only mixed squad). One fled in terror after killing on of my animals though.
Most animals were cut down, among them 2 pets, which makes me happy, the owners not so much.
But the worst thing is, the buggers came when the caravan should have arrived, so no caravan in the first year. Which means the goblins will at least manage to indirectly kill someone, as a migrant glassmaker got a strange mood and wants green glass on a sandless map.
I walled him in, luckily it is only a possession, so nothing much is lost but a hauler.

I also just realized than when you mine ore the floor is made of the layerstone, no longer of the ore. :(

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 10, 2014, 10:20:06 am »

I found that out myself, but at least now it kinda feels like they tried to rip up every appreciable bit instead of leaving a huge hunk in the floor.

Also on trees, they might not be able to grow right anymore (even to a young tree instead of a sapling, which to me would be the old school trees you get one log a chop from.) My surface map is positively littered with dead tree saplings to the extent the map is beginning to turn gray.

Vi Et Armis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 10, 2014, 10:46:50 am »

One of my starting seven became king about three months in. A migrant wave came right after, and we dug out four 10x10 rooms for him. We smoothed and inexpertly engraved the walls and got a lucky break with a legendary blacksmith mood (built an iron weapon rack). First crisis averted!

More migrants came, then a vile force of darkness! The attackers were dwarves, though... I waited a bit for the end to come, but they instead walked across the map from the top to the right side and left. Second crisis averted!

A bit later, more migrants, then a treacherous goblin ambush! My quickly press-ganged militia killed all but one of them (thank Armok for six armed hunters). The last one, a lasher, killed a dozen dwarves before the rest overwhelmed him and beat him unconscious. And then kept hitting him. He had an +iron helmet+, and they kept punching him there, to little effect. Every once in a while, a dwarf would wrestle him and break an arm or a leg. 53 pages of logs later, he had his shoulders, upper arms, lower arms, upper legs, lower legs, and most of his fingers broken, but he was still alive. My military was getting thirsty by now, and the lasher was bleeding a bit, so I figured I'd just let him bleed out. I cancelled my orders and watched the militia disperse...

Then he got back up.

He crawled to my fort entrance, bit a cat on the head, and shook it until it died. Then he did the same to a thresher. I went to order my military to attack again, and the game crashed. I'm pretty sure he was going to end me, though.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 10, 2014, 10:53:47 am »

Just got a second werebull attack, as well as a weremarmot. Apparently these poor bastards either want to die or think Spiritnets is easy pickings. I'm also preparing a group of bow dwarves (a decent quantity of wooden arrows and bows from the elves was cheaper than buying ammo from home since at the time we didn't have much ore harvested for more,) to eliminate a tribe of plump helmet men and a great barn owl.

The weremarmot went down after a macedwarf grabbed it by the throat with her mace, whereupon an axedwarf messily severed it's lower body. I like to think the macedwarf held it in a chokehold for the axedwarf.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 10, 2014, 10:56:27 am »

Goblins appear to be substantial badasses in this new version lol

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 10, 2014, 10:57:21 am »

Goblins appear to be substantial badasses in this new version lol

Only until they see a few friendlies die.  ;D

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #339 on: July 10, 2014, 11:25:09 am »

I will download this one after most fatal bugs are fixed or someone can offer simple and clean tileset. Graphical tileset...

Vi Et Armis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 10, 2014, 11:25:15 am »

Second fort, broker will not stop climbing trees. He's been hurt four times now when my woodcutter chops one down and I didn't notice him up there.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 10, 2014, 11:26:24 am »

I will download this one after most fatal bugs are fixed or someone can offer simple and clean tileset. Graphical tileset...

As far as I know there is at least one tileset ready by now (ironhand).

Magnusen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 10, 2014, 11:27:18 am »

Great. Now we have to wait only 2 years before the update with the bugfixes comes up. But hopefully people will come with workarounds as always.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 10, 2014, 11:28:25 am »

As far as I know there is at least one tileset ready by now (ironhand).

Installed phoebus last night.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 10, 2014, 11:32:28 am »

Great. Now we have to wait only 2 years before the update with the bugfixes comes up. But hopefully people will come with workarounds as always.

Only updates with a lot of features take this long, and usually even these come quicker than this time.

Bugfix releases won't take long. (though that doesn't mean there won't be any bugs left when he starts to work on features again, but it probably won't crash anymore)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44