Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 109173 times)

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!
« Reply #630 on: August 11, 2014, 11:02:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #631 on: August 11, 2014, 11:39:25 am »

Holy Cornucopia, Batman! What is a "purple amaranth"? Also, how I farm for persimmon?
Amaranth, surprisingly enough from how it's name is used, is actually just a species of red flower plants. These can be brewed into beer, so as far as DF is concerned it's worth to grow ;)

Fruit-tree fruits and many of the fruits on shrubs can't be farmed yet. So no grape wine or apple cider until Toady implements some kind of item-cloud-gathering labour.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 11, 2014, 03:43:38 pm »

I have some nice Ottorpeople living in the small stream inhabiting my map. They seem peaceful and content to just hang around in the water. However they're far from idle... their population has nearly doubled in the three years my fort has been in existence. I'm curious if they have a population cap or if they'll just continue to procreate.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 11, 2014, 10:35:49 pm »

40.08, started in a badlands/plains combo embark, started out with scarce trees, now there are so many trees, you can barely walk.  This is after 8 years.

So I would say something is still broken with tree regrowth, in the long term, with respect to density.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #634 on: August 12, 2014, 04:30:17 am »

40.08, started in a badlands/plains combo embark, started out with scarce trees, now there are so many trees, you can barely walk.  This is after 8 years.

So I would say something is still broken with tree regrowth, in the long term, with respect to density.
Well, to be fairmthat is completely normal behaviour for a grass or bathland where no animals are trampeling/eating all the saplings. Well, combined with lack of soil nutrient tracking...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 12, 2014, 08:33:14 am »

Sure, but I think going from six trees at embark time to hundreds of trees 8 years later, in a badlands biome?  Doesn't smell right to me.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 13, 2014, 01:27:39 pm »

- Emo Dwarves! \o/
Right. I'm going to say I don't like the revamped dorf psychology one bit.

If they so much as glimpse a dead body, the little hairy bastards will drop everything and run away in panic or curl in a fetal position and cry. Even if the victim died of natural causes, like being torn to shreds by a wereskink. (I swear, at least a full half of my world's population must be wereskinks, judging by the frequency at which they raid my fort!)
I know several humans mentally tougher than the new "dwarves"!

What is this, "Elf Fortress: Tales of Frailness and Cowardice"?  >:(
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 13, 2014, 01:29:11 pm »

Morale is not WAD. The complaints therein are irrelevant until it is properly tuned.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 13, 2014, 05:35:59 pm »

Found some strange behavior doing some goblin/trap testing in 40.08

I have some goblin bones, in the fortress inventory they appear as:

Bosa Okomutes's bone [9]
Tode Aslotsangnosm's bone [2]
Stasost Kutsmobtustong's bone [6]

and so on.
So I create a job to Decorate with bone, the bone is taken to the workshop, and then an announcement:
Kubuk Gusgashlokum, Bone Carver cancels Decorate with bone: Needs improvable item.

I have hundreds of improvable items available, in fact, in this very fort I've improved weapons, barrels, and bins with this Bone Carver at this craftsdwarf workshop, with animal bones.

Is there a bug using Goblin Bones with Bone Decorating?

I've tried recreating the workshop, trying different dwarves, saving, reloading.  There's no stockpile issues, they're all default/normal, and like I said, it'll grab the bone item, then fail/stop/announce.

Anyone else seeing this inability to Decorate with Goblin Bones?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 14, 2014, 08:49:15 pm »

Getting ready to start playing DF again.  Just saw this in the changelogs for .05
Quote from: Toady One The Great
(*) Stopped ghosts from being able to realize dreams after they are dead

I think that might be a bit overkill. I think it would be rather heartwarming to see a ghost shout in joy about finally being able to accomplishing one of it's dreams.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:58:21 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 14, 2014, 11:31:54 pm »

Maybe make it a feature? Ghosts who realize their [very real, lifelong] dreams as a ghost could decide to pass on on their own without player intervention.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 15, 2014, 09:38:09 am »

I imagine dwarven concessions are just jars of sweet pod syrup.
And tallow. Can't forget the tallow.

Can make some Fried Chicken and Blue Peahen with it! :D
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 15, 2014, 11:28:09 am »

I imagine dwarven concessions are just jars of sweet pod syrup.
And tallow. Can't forget the tallow.

Can make some Fried Chicken and Blue Peahen with it! :D

Don't forget the kitten mcnuggets
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 15, 2014, 02:42:31 pm »

I am losing forts *much* more often, mostly due to fast invasions and improved dwarf psychology.

The forests are very nice. This version is good.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 15, 2014, 03:29:49 pm »

I punctured the first cavern last night and found it devoid of all vegetation, which I had never seen in version 0.34.  I looked up some very old discussions (circa 2010) about this being caused by no water anywhere in the cavern.  Is it still so?  Or does Armok hate me?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44