Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 52

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND! (Adventure Mode)  (Read 107257 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #525 on: July 11, 2014, 01:18:58 am »

you know how folks complain about how easy bandits are... well look at this.
Undead Bandits the undead gotten so smart they resorted to thuggery.
How do you make those videos?
It's a .gif, but I'm not sure how.

DF has a built in video recording thingy[At least for Fort Mode it does.]. I've never used it, but it exists.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #526 on: July 11, 2014, 01:21:56 am »

When you shout it's directed at a nearby character when there's nobody around it goes to your god who doesn't exist so the game crashes. A quick fix is to have no god (outsider) or to avoid undirected shouting.

As an atheist I find this incredibly amusing.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.02 (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #527 on: July 11, 2014, 01:22:38 am »

Think of the children.

I waltzed into a tower, claimed the site as mine to the siteowner's face, and proceeded to lash them down for challenging me.  I got a nice little "THE SITE IS YOURS" thing with more detailed descriptions of what had changed hands and to whom with lots of proper nouns.

Anywho, I walk up to the priest--not fancy title like the First Gold down the street, just a priest--and try and talk to him about the event.  He responds to my greeting my spitting, so he gets the lash.  He refuses to yield, he gets the lash again, and the blow to the upper body winds up being a spinal one.

This whole time a pikeman is really just going at some kid, mostly grabbing them but then suddenly stabbing them in the head with a dagger.  I realize that he and another child are lethal to me, whilst the child he's killing is set to ally for me.  I lash down the spearman, but the kid's done fucked.

Then this happens.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know what you're going to say, but before you state your opinion--

WAS it inevitable?
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 11, 2014, 01:26:55 am »

you know how folks complain about how easy bandits are... well look at this.
Undead Bandits the undead gotten so smart they resorted to thuggery.
How do you make those videos?
It's a .gif, but I'm not sure how.

DF has a built in video recording thingy[At least for Fort Mode it does.]. I've never used it, but it exists.
That goes by tile, though. That scrolls smoothly.

Think of the children.

I waltzed into a tower, claimed the site as mine to the siteowner's face, and proceeded to lash them down for challenging me.  I got a nice little "THE SITE IS YOURS" thing with more detailed descriptions of what had changed hands and to whom with lots of proper nouns.

Anywho, I walk up to the priest--not fancy title like the First Gold down the street, just a priest--and try and talk to him about the event.  He responds to my greeting my spitting, so he gets the lash.  He refuses to yield, he gets the lash again, and the blow to the upper body winds up being a spinal one.

This whole time a pikeman is really just going at some kid, mostly grabbing them but then suddenly stabbing them in the head with a dagger.  I realize that he and another child are lethal to me, whilst the child he's killing is set to ally for me.  I lash down the spearman, but the kid's done fucked.

Then this happens.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know what you're going to say, but before you state your opinion--

WAS it inevitable?
>asking if torturing a priest was inevitable to a bunch of sadists

Of course it was.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:31:42 am by Alev »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 11, 2014, 01:31:19 am »

...I can shoot nonagressive animals with crossbows now.   It is incredible how this simple change has forever changed adventure mode for me.

I can properly hunt.   For food.  Without having to stab the animal with a knife first.  I could mod in adventurer crafting too and sell figurines and crap made of bone and leather armor too if I could only figure out why my custom race's currency isn't actually working as currency.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 11, 2014, 01:51:02 am »

I was ambushed by a night creature who decided not to attack me. I decided to give her one of my titles for this kindness. She accepted. She is now the lady of a mound I decided to claim for the hell of it.

Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 11, 2014, 02:16:54 am »

It was inevitable.

Anyone else noticing you need to create a group each time you claim something for yourself, or will it work if you painstakingly recreate the same name each time?

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 11, 2014, 02:30:16 am »

Do SCIENCE if you can, see if you get duplicate groups in legends after using the same name for a group
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 11, 2014, 02:46:01 am »

From what I've been able to gather reading legends there are two types of governing entities: civilization and site level.  Site level entities can be created and are all attached to a single site, while civilization entities cannot be created (even in worldgen) and can rule over multiple sites.  Civilizations can be destroyed however (or at least functionally destroyed by being emptied of members). All civilizations a world will ever have exist from the beginning, which means that all worlds are slowly marching towards having no civilizations.

Since you create a site level entity it makes sense you should have to make another each time.  Logically it doesn't make sense though.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 11, 2014, 03:11:00 am »

Once you become a lord/lady/whatever you can demand tribute from other site leaders though. Including bandits.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 11, 2014, 03:13:07 am »

(A little off topic of conversation but still relevant to topic)

Has anyone been unable to learn the 'secrets of life and death' ?
I snuck into a necromancer's tower and read the tablet which had been handed down from one of the gods... It had in highlighted cyan text that I had learned the secrets, as it turns out I didn't gain the ability. I tried to sleep and see if it would update, but then a zombie asked me what I thought I was doing - and then proceeded to kill me...
Sorry, I don't have any pictures (by the time I thought of taking some, I died). The world then continued to crash as I approached the necromancer's tower several times after.
Is that only me, anyone able to recreate this?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 11, 2014, 03:17:27 am »

I think I remember Toady saying that even though humans don't have a civ level leader, individual lords/ladies can become fairly important through tribute relationships. Or something along those lines.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 11, 2014, 03:24:32 am »

(A little off topic of conversation but still relevant to topic)

Has anyone been unable to learn the 'secrets of life and death' ?
I snuck into a necromancer's tower and read the tablet which had been handed down from one of the gods... It had in highlighted cyan text that I had learned the secrets, as it turns out I didn't gain the ability. I tried to sleep and see if it would update, but then a zombie asked me what I thought I was doing - and then proceeded to kill me...
Sorry, I don't have any pictures (by the time I thought of taking some, I died). The world then continued to crash as I approached the necromancer's tower several times after.
Is that only me, anyone able to recreate this?
Learning necromancy was working for me although I killed the necromancer in a camp so maybe that has something to do with it.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 11, 2014, 03:25:43 am »

So I guess the plan is we go to sites, and demand tribute to our group. If that fails, we usurp the leader and install replacements until one of them submits to us.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 11, 2014, 04:04:50 am »

I actually have a hunch about that. Don't use weapons. Just punch them into submission, see if that works.

Huh. Even punching my goblin lord escalates the conflict first to lethal then to no quarter.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:12:49 am by Vgray »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 52