Poll

Poll is being changed

Herp
- 2 (16.7%)
Derp
- 10 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Heavy Metal: Mental Trauma on Embark  (Read 6137 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal: Mental Trauma on Embark
« on: July 07, 2014, 09:06:45 pm »

Heavy Metal: The New World Order

EMBARK GEAR: WE HAVE 10,000 points
EACH FORUM MEMBER OR PLAYER CAN GET 500 points worth of equipment.
PLAYERS CAN CHOOSE TO “Borrow” equipment above 500 points, which can result in interesting things happening later.
EMBARKING PLAYER RESERVES AT LEAST 750 POINTS, OTHER POINTS MAY BE REDUCED IF THERE ARE A LOT OF REQUESTS.
PLEASE SUGGEST EMBARK SUPPLIES IN THREAD.
PLEASE POST IF YOU THINK THIS IS STUPID

STARTING OVER ALERT:
Because of multiple breaks in version compatibility, we’ve had to start over the fortress. All the “backstory” and the early progress posts are not happening.

Because of the time this is taking, I am considering some light modding so we can have some more !!FUN!!. Certain words from the oldest versions of Dwarf Fortress are back in. If you want to suggest anything to mod in, post it ASAP before worldgen starts.

WARNING: MOST OF THE INFORMATION BELOW UP TO THE RULES IS INVALID, BECAUSE WE HAD TO START OVER. IF YOU THINK I SHOULD START A NEW THREAD PLEASE MENTION IT IN THE THREAD.

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)

Screenshots & Quotes
None yet!

Alright, I’m making this post for a new succession game, possibly the first one of 0.40.01. We’re going to be using this new version, not the old version, for obvious reasons. If it is bugged, then it is bugged.

ALERT: Because of the difficulty of producing a world suitable for a Sparkgear-type game - large worlds crash - I am generating a medium world. Rules will be a variant of those on the imfamous “Bowelpillars” game or whatever it was called instead.

I have a worldgen in progress as I am typing this up.

The fortress will be named “HeavyMetal”.

I have a worldgen of 50 years, which I am seriously considering using. This is the longest worldgen I can manage without crashes.

RULES:
-> To be filled in.

Backstory

Sorry, I would normally investigate legends mode to get the backstory, but I forgot to do so  :o but don’t worry, at least this isn’t going to be too long. Trying to keep it “in character” to my dwarfed-as character

Amid the new year’s celebrations, CaptainArchmage slouched back into his seat as the merrymaking dwarves tipped a fresh +fungiwood barrel+ of dwarven beer into the -brass funnel- placed in his mouth. A newly certified wizard of The Books of Shaking, a dwarven kingdom, he would soon put his magic to use in a vast a fantastical new world. The Books of Shaking were one of the largest dwarven kingdoms upon the The Moist Continent, which encompassed the as-of-yet known area of the World of Cyclones, and their military might had not just secured their fortresses but also ensured that the goblin hoards would never encroach upon their home range.

The merrymakers withdrew the now-empty barrel from the funnel; the belch which issued forth caused the funnel to fly across the dining hall and clatter to the ground among a group of elven captives brought in for entertainment purposes. It was his kind of life - rowdy, and full. CaptainArchmage slowly pondered over where he would be going - the mountain ranges were secure against threats, and lacked the kind of strife and struggle that injected greater amounts of Fun into life, yet it was also the perfect place to raise a family. He raised his hand and called out for more drinks-

-only to find it in an Iron grip. He looked up over the back of his seat, at the inverted face of èrith Rigòthudar, King of The Books of Shaking.

"YOU SHER!” the King roared. “SHU A WISHARD?” The overpowering aroma of Dwarven Rum and plump helmet roast wafted over his face.

"I GOSH A MISHON FOR SHEE. BUILSH ME A FORSHRESSS WORSHY OF SHISH EMPIRE!"

The following morning, CaptainArchmage, one of seven founding dwarves, set out for The Taut Forest.

Spoiler: CaptainArchmage (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 10terrapin01 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: snackfox (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: slowpokez (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: TalonisWolf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lyeos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Deus Asmoth (click to show/hide)

”WHOA THAR!" The horses veered to the side as the wagon skidded across the ground towards a gorge. The loud cracking sound told the seven dwarves that the axle had broken loose, and the vehicle stopped right at the edge of the abyss. “That was a close one”, CaptainArchmage said, as the dwarves piled off the side of the wagon. He stood up on the platform, and produced an envelope.

”My fellow dwarves! We have arrived here, next to this canyon, at a location, which shall be called.......

He produced a pen-knife from his pocket, and pondered for a moment on the legend of “Bowelpillars”, and then slashed open the envelope, removed the letter within.......

”HEAVYMETAL!"

"And we shall be known as......"

"THE NEW WORLD-ORDER!"

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE DOING HERE!"

Scavanging a selection of rules from older succession games: please stand by!
RULES
Rules on Turns
1. Turns will last 72 hours. Play as much or as little you can within those 72 hours. You can play a season or two years.
2. Changeovers when the game gets rolling will happen at Midnight, Forum Time, for the sake of sanity.
3. Players will be assigned two (2) 24-hour extensions. A player can use these 24-hour extensions at any time during their turn.
4. A player can request a 24-hour extension during his or her turn without spending their assigned extension, but they MUST play this special 24-hour extension whilst inebriated. The player must post the effective quantity of alcohol in ml, consumed for this extension with their update.

Rules on Gameplay
1. You should write up logs and, if possible, post screenshots on what is going on. Don’t try writing a novel whilst playing your turn, novels in real life may take more than one real-world day per novel-world day to write. Trust me, I’ve been there before (but if you manage to do this there may be.... awards).
2. To take a turn you need a named dwarf (when possible). You can pick a name and profession for your dwarf. You can also get dwarfed without having to take a turn.
3. Tools such as Dwarf TheRapist, Stonesense, and DFhack are allowed to be run for bug-fixing and bureaucratic purposes. Use of DFhack should be reasonable - no casting massive obsidian forts without reason!
4. Editing of the raws is encouraged for the purpose of expanding colourful vocabulary and RUNNING THIS SHIT INTO THE GROUND.
5. In the case of fortress loss, you can either reclaim or revert to a previous save. Reverting to a previous save will require use of an Artefact of Time. The fortress will have two Artefacts of Time for use. If the fortress fails spectacularly enough, we can call an end to a succession and start a new fortress in the same world.
6. The fortress, from time to time, may be issued missions to accomplish. Players who complete these missions may get bonus time extensions, or earn the fortress more Artefacts of Time.
7. Victory conditions will be made available as the fortress develops. When all victory conditions are met, the fortress will be retired.

8. You can play with a tileset or with graphics, but the save must be restored to one of the default ASCII tilesets before handing it on.

Missions
-None Yet!-

Victory Conditions
-None Yet!-

Player List
Turn not yet started
Turn in progress
Skipped
Turn completed

1. 9th-11th July CaptainArchmage (dwarfed as himself)
2. 12th-14th July 10terrapin01 (dwarfed as him/herself)
3. Talonis Wolf
4. 15th-17th July Mr Timms
5. 18th-20th July slowpokez
6. 21st-23rd July snackfox
7. Lyeos
8. 24th-26th July Deus Asmoth
9. 27th-29th July Imakuni

1. 19th-21st July CaptainArchmage (dwarfed as himself)
2. 22nd-24th July 10terrapin01 (dwarfed as him/herself)
3. Talonis Wolf
4. 25th-27th July slowpokez
5. 28th-30th July
6. 31st July - 2nd August Deus Asmoth
9. 3rd - 5th August Imakuni
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:18:40 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Let's tag team and switch off worlds!  I am totally up for as much dwarf fortress as possible, tomorrow is my birthday, and I shall indulge myself!
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's tag team and switch off worlds!  I am totally up for as much dwarf fortress as possible, tomorrow is my birthday, and I shall indulge myself!

This shalt be done, and I wish thee a happy celebration on surviving another year.

Heheheheheheheheheeeeee.... the internet’s productivity is going to take a nosedive in the next few hours.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

May I request a dorfing so I may have some part in this honourably dwarfy endeavour?

Talonis Wolf, whatever profession is most likely to die in a entertaining style. Cavern Scout? After all, there may be something new in those things in the new update. Perhaps chop down one of those new supersized trees while I'm on it for !!SCIENCE!!? The possibilities are endless!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

MrTimms

• Bay Watcher
  • It is terrifying.
    • View Profile

Count me in.
The vast majority of the bandits were apparently hiding in the trees because after my first few moves the majority of them fell out of their trees breaking limbs and horribly wounding themselves.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite

Sign me up too :)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I’ve started a new game but it isn’t a Sparkgear. I’ve tried to generate a large world on a windows system, but it keeps on crashing during worldgen. The Mac version is far more stable, though I’ve only tried it with medium worlds.

I’m going to go ahead and if necessary try to generate on Mac - 200 years of history - and see whether I still get the crashes.

If the world isn’t sufficient to do repeated sparkgears on, I will try something else. I reserve the right for this poll to make this not a Sparkgear. Stay tuned while I crawl inside this worldgen and start pulling wires.

snackfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • biddyfox.com

Sign me up!

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile

Ooooh, requesting a dorfing of Lyeos, preferably a Mason or Miner.
With engraving enabled.
Maybe.
Take a closer look at this text!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile

Sign me up for a turn as well, please. I'll take the bookkeeper as my dorf when we get one.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Worldgen troubles (click to show/hide)

Alright, I have a world generated! Time to get a move on.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:30:16 pm by CaptainArchmage »

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Metal: A DF2014 Higher-Speed Succession!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 09:12:14 pm »

Ah, I only requested a dorfing. My fault, in retrospect my wording was ambiguous.

Although if I can get my own DF-Capable CPU I would love to take part- and I am looking into it, so there is hope! I'll let you know then.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Metal: A DF2014 Higher-Speed Succession!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 09:14:35 pm »

Ah, I only requested a dorfing. My fault, in retrospect my wording was ambiguous.

Although if I can get my own DF-Capable CPU I would love to take part- and I am looking into it, so there is hope! I'll let you know then.
Likewise, only a dorfing.
With the end of summer approaching, my access to internet is going to become very limited to nonexistent.
Take a closer look at this text!

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Metal: The King is a Drunk (DF2014)
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 04:14:15 am »

I would like a turn/dorf!
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Metal: The King is a Drunk (DF2014)
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 01:04:54 pm »

Likewise, only a dorfing.
With the end of summer approaching, my access to internet is going to become very limited to nonexistent.

I’ve crossed you out from the list but if you want, you’ll be able to get a turn.

I would like a turn/dorf!

I’ve listed you for a turn, and you will be dwarf’d when we get some migrants.

These are the poll results so far. I’ve decided to go for a 72 hour turn, so that is considerably longer than the normal Sparkgear turn. I have made it much less than a week though so the game gets around to more people though.

Journal of CaptainArchmage, 15th Granite, Year 50

We have arrived! Two weeks ago I left the Mountainhomes to establish this new fortress, Heavymetal. Despite nearly falling into a gorge, we made it here safely, in the middle of a moist tropical broadleaf jungle with swamps to the South. I can’t wait to get started!

The foliage here is dense, and we have access to both clay and sand. The bedrock seems to be mudstone, but there are significant bauxite and magnetite deposits. Veins of lignite, bituminous coal, hematite, limonite, and tetrahedrite are visible.

Most of the plentiful wildlife is under the water. It consists of carp, tigerfish, giant sponges, and giant platypuses. On land, there is a “mantis woman” roaming around. Are these dangerous?

Our first objective is to establish a fucking outpost out here. This is rather difficult because I haven’t been in charge of an outpost before, but I believe it should consist of bedrooms, a dining room, sheltered storage, workshop space, and a trade depot.

15th Granite, later

The moment we got to moving our food supplies to a stockpile, the horses and dogs began panicking, and fled away from the Gorge. I checked for signs of danger, only to see a swarm of gigantic insects in the trees to the north! Yet our dog and horse were running towards them, not away. They later calmed down and returned to the wagon, only to begin panicking again. Curious, I took a look in the gorge. By Thatthil! The shoal of carp is panicking as well! They seem to be terrified of the giant sponge in the river. None of this seems to make any sense to me.

Meanwhile, Lyeos has built a mason’s shop and is going to turn some of our quartzite into blocks, while TalonisWolf has set up a carpenter’s shop and will be making us some beds. Currently I’m on friendly terms with Lyeos, I know slowpokez from the Mountainhomes, and TalonisWolf, 10terrapin01, and Deus Asmoth are long-term acquaintances of mine. Unfortunately, snackfox has been exceptionally annoying with incessant back-seat driving on the way here and I’ve decided to avoid her for the meantime.

TalonisWolf is our new militia commander, and Deus Asmoth will be doing book-keeping duties. We don’t have anyone with skill as a broker or doctor though, and we have no axes either, which means we’ll have a harder time obtaining wood.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:15:52 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: [1] 2 3