Poll

Poll is being changed

Herp
- 2 (16.7%)
Derp
- 10 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Heavy Metal: Mental Trauma on Embark  (Read 6139 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Metal: The King is a Drunk (DF2014)
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 01:46:18 pm »

PTW, and may I be dorfed as a metalsmith?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 02:01:58 pm »

Carp and giant sponges? We're already doomed.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 06:30:16 pm »

Carp and giant sponges? We're already doomed.

Well once I finish doing the initial fortress plans in a sufficiently OCD way, we shall see to that.

Any further dwarfings will have to wait until we get migrants....... if we survive that long.

UPDATE: With his orderly and obsessed mind, CaptainArchmage the Wizard takes about an hour to draw up some plans. He passes them to Deus Asmoth for a review:

16th Granite, Year 50, Wee Hours

With the unpacking in progress, I’ve taken some time to draw up the designs of the outpost. A quick poll from the Mountainhomes indicated that both aboveground and underground development were preferred. I have prepared designs accordingly.

Two levels below the ground, we have a white sand layer, in which we will place our farms.

Three levels below the ground, there is stone - lots of mudstone and bauxite, possibly coal. This will have raw food storage. We can also carve out some scenic rooms with windows overlooking the waterfall.

This is the lowest level of the fortress, on level with the ground at the foot of the hills. There is a large mill area, which will draw power from the river, a pumping station to get us fresh, carp-free water, a dining hall, a statue room with a well, and a drinking hall. The mill area will be expanded with kitchens. The mill is also serviced by a workshop area designed to produce and store large numbers of mechanisms.

Because the poll slightly favoured above-ground construction, I have decided to build some houses on the surface instead. These will be our sleeping quarters.

20th Granite, Year 50

The foundations for the main stairwell were laid and the earth has been struck. I’ll have to re-arrange some of the designs so they work with the farms in the soil layer - I think the depot in the top layer of stone is going to unnecessarily complicate the supply process, and could be used for other industries instead.

The swarm of Thrips is landing to the east. Maybe it isn’t such a good idea to live aboveground, but I will do my best to ensure those houses go up.

21st Granite, Year 50

Almost a week after arriving here, we are now carving out some farms, while Lyeos turns quartzite boulders into blocks. Today, I noticed an anomaly in my listings of creatures in the area: a “Flame Haunt” has gone missing. What? Say what? I don’t remember writing that down! This is strange.

25th Granite, Year 50

We now have underground space for stockpiling food, so I have moved the stockpile down there, which means there is more for me to do than just direct the fortress operation and try to gather plants from the forest. A farm will be the next thing dug out, and we will be able to begin to grow our own food.

Today, another strange incident occurred: one of the giant thrips was missing from the swarm! I then noticed it lying by a tree - the impact was strong enough to mangle the corpse and rip off a wing. Did it crash into one of the trees or did something else happen?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:22:02 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 09:08:36 pm »

Giant exploding bugs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 06:00:18 am »

Apparently there's a bug causing crashes when you try to load saved fortresses. Hopefully we won't fun into that.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 09:30:10 am »

Apparently there's a bug causing crashes when you try to load saved fortresses. Hopefully we won't fun into that.

I’ve made a backup of the save file, if there is a repeated crash issue at some point we wait until the version that fixes it. If the save compatibility gets broken we just start over.

FPS isn’t very high, probably because of the long time to turn over the calendar, or maybe because of the waterfall.

Journal of CaptainArchmage, 1st Slate, Year 50

Today another Giant Thrips had a mysterious accident and crashed into a tree. I have set up a pasture and dumping ground for the corpses, so we can process them in a butcher’s shop. TalonisWolf will be doing to the butchery and I will be doing the cooking for this.

The farms have been dug out and will be planted with plump helmets, sweet pods, quarry bushes, and dimple cups as soon as possible.

EDIT: NEW VERSION OUT! STARTING OVER, COMPLETELY NEW WORLD!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:50:35 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 07:28:58 pm »

OK this is the stunning vote of confidence in my fortress designs:

Apparently I need to up my ante on that.

I’ve posted a new poll: Shall we continue with this fortress on 0.40.01, try to hack the save to work on 0.40.02, or start over on a new world?

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 11:31:12 pm »

Keep it as close to the newest version as possible, which will be 40.02 for now.   We want to be rid of the bigger, badder bugs in the beginning.  I think its better to try to update now before the fortress gets too involved.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 09:32:59 pm »

GOOD THING I DID NOT START A NEW GAME. SAVE COMPATIBILITY BROKEN AGAIN.

-> NEW WORLDGEN COMING UP. Apologies to everyone who wanted to play soon.

Spoiler: Poll on starting over (click to show/hide)

I agree with the poll. I’m going to add some new rules for the worldgen, and a few modifications will be made to the rules.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:37:38 pm by CaptainArchmage »

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Play with 2014 embark points!  It's more than I usually use, but it is fitting!
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Metal: STARTING OVER
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 10:28:03 pm »

Alright, when I started the worldgens the poll looked like this:

Spoiler: When worldgens started (click to show/hide)

Now that I’m done with worldgens the poll looks like this:

Result was I picked 10,000 points for embark. We can use all of them or not.

I generated one world, but it was quite bland and without significant civilisation. I generated a second one with only 100 years of history and more than the default number of sites to avoid crashes, and it became nicely civilised. There’s a necromancer tower that appears to reach the entire map, too. Unfortunately, the dwarven civilisation names are rather bad, and I’m noticing reclaims aren’t possible even though there are ruined worldgen fortresses.

I’ve been trying embarks and I’ve noticed they’re running rather slow compared to 0.34.11. Talking about 50-60 FPS with a basic outpost dug out. I may have to cut down on size.......

Shall I try to regen with more badass civilisation names?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:59:26 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »

Alright, I’ve posted up some information on embark points. Since we have 10,000 points I may choose a more difficult embark.

Each player, besides the embark leader, can pick 500 points of equipment, so please post your choices here! Even if you’re not signed up, some recommendations will help. I’ll try to follow them as I can, but expect substitutions if equipment is unavailable.

In the event that we get a lot of requests, I’m reserving at least 750 points to ensure we’re not going to totally screw this one up.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 08:29:22 pm »

Terrapin's Requisition:
If in Tropical biome, Blood Amaranth Leaves [40]
If in Temperate biome, Purple Amaranth Leaves [40]
If available, Gremlin Tears [18]
Pitchblende OR Cobaltite  (Stone)[134]

I love pitchblende and cobaltite.  I will be requesting LOTS from the mountainhomes.
It was inevitable.

Meatshield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 09:14:03 pm »

Dorf me in the next migrant wave, but only if my dorf will serve as his name. ULTIMATE MEATSHIELD AT YOUR SERVICE.

If possible name my sons and daughters Meatshield I, Meatshield II, etc. My only will is toward them is to have them put to dwarven daycare.

Jarloth Steellungs is my current dwarf wrestler, who enjoys breaking everyone's knees and elbows and then working his way down from fingers to toes to ankles to wrists to arms to legs to gouging the eyes. And if he has a knife (though he prefers sharp rocks) he'll remove their ears, nose and tongue but only after kicking their teeth out.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Metal: STARTING OVER - CHOOSE EMBARK EQUIPMENT!
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 11:05:23 pm »

Any chance I could get dorfed once you get things set up again and get a migrant wave? Preferably as a male swordsdwarf, or male Weaponsmith and if he makes an artifact weapon, enlist him and have him wield it. Name him Beirus please.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3