Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DF 2014 Creatures  (Read 6510 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2014 Creatures
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 07:09:34 am »

African Elephants can already weigh several tonnes.

GIANT Elephants? They'd be... I don't even know. If they scale even remotely like other giant critters do, you could construct buildings on their backs.
Take an elephant and increase its height, length and width by 2. You'll get a giant elephant, 8 times more massive than the normal elephant. It'd be about 6 m tall and wide, 12 m long.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 07:11:52 am by HmH »

mineforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 07:01:16 pm »

You can make one yourself. It more fun doing it yourself since you can make it exactly how you want.
Who's born in the fortress, die in the fortress

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 07:15:01 pm »

GIANT Elephants? They'd be... I don't even know. If they scale even remotely like other giant critters do, you could construct buildings on their backs.

You're spelling it wrong, they're called Oliphaunts.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 09:55:33 pm »

Raw-wise, elephants have a size (volume) of 5 million (which translates to about 5000 kilograms or 5 tons for standard creatures). Giant creature size varies, but for large creatures, it's a *8 multiplier. A standard sperm whale is is 25 million. A giant elephant would be 1.6 times as volumous as a sperm whale (and yes, much smaller than a giant sperm whale), and about as heavy as a brachiosaurus.

Take an elephant and increase its height, length and width by 2. You'll get a giant elephant, 8 times more massive than the normal elephant. It'd be about 6 m tall and wide, 12 m long.

So, yeah, sauropod sized. Not sure if Brachiosaurus is considered average for a sauropod.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 10:12:20 pm »

I could be wrong, but I've heard that elephants that aren't blowing their trunks or stampeding en masse actually sound rather like ninjas. The reason? Those giant feet, on top of distributing the weight pretty well by size alone, are actually squishy. Or, you know, so I've heard. I've never felt any particularly great need to keep a citation handy about it.
Yeah, skeletal the elephant foot is on it's tip toes, with a MASSIVE fat cushion from the base of the toes all the way to it's heels, and yes the tend to be extremely quite.
Something like this?

Aw, MAN! Of all the things I was sad to see come to an end...
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 01:06:58 am »

Giant elephant men would be bad ass.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 11:17:06 pm »

I could be wrong, but I've heard that elephants that aren't blowing their trunks or stampeding en masse actually sound rather like ninjas. The reason? Those giant feet, on top of distributing the weight pretty well by size alone, are actually squishy. Or, you know, so I've heard. I've never felt any particularly great need to keep a citation handy about it.
Yeah, skeletal the elephant foot is on it's tip toes, with a MASSIVE fat cushion from the base of the toes all the way to it's heels, and yes the tend to be extremely quite.
Something like this?

I have no idea what that is from. I feel ignorant now.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 11:26:29 pm »

Something like this?

I have no idea what that is from. I feel ignorant now.
Elves of Amanereli, or some such. It was discontinued by the OP.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 11:27:55 pm »

Ah, a forum thing that was before my time.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 11:29:51 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55601.0

It's well worth reading through, even with sizeable portions taken up by quote pyramids of affirmation. "This and this and thiiiiiiiis." (You know, I feel like we could take that up as our song about the new release...)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 11:30:49 pm »

Ah, a forum thing that was before my time.
I read it long after it stopped, but it is pretty good. It be here if you want to read it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]