Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New random-generated stuff (Possible spoilers)  (Read 4582 times)

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
New random-generated stuff (Possible spoilers)
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:00:12 pm »

I was spading about in the uncompressed save files and found all sorts of intriguing new randomly generated stuff.  These may be spoilers, so read with caution!

These randomly generated things all have a divine character to them - as in, they're connected with deities that dwarves and humans worship.  Here's what I've learned so far.

- The new metals you can see in arena mode ("multicoloured metal", "flashing sparks" &c.) are metals connected with deities.  They have the [DIVINE] tag and are associated with spheres, and have similar material properties to adamantine. Here's a sample uncompressed raw:

- There are also divine cloth material.  These appear to be just like regular cloth material-wise, and use the same CLOTH_TEMPLATE in the default material template file.

- Directly below the random-generated mats (including evil weather) lie random-generated weapons, armour, and clothing. Greaves, breastplates, gloves, and so on.

- There are new types of randomly generated creatures.  Just below the bogeymen are creatures with names like "Assistant of Alak" and "War's Behemoth".  They're generated much like forgotten beasts - either based on a random animal with extra features, or a generic shape of an inorganic material, and having severely buffed physical/mental stats.  They apparently lack syndrome attacks, however.  They have the same spheres as their associated god, have some flavour-text recalling those spheres, and in fact, have the same tile as deities themselves (Ä). A sample description:
Spoiler: God-creature (click to show/hide)

- Probably the most alarming thing of all: the randomly-generated entities.  These are what the raws call "HF Guardian Entities".  They're drawn from all creatures with a certain [HFID:number] and in fact, use the randomly-generated equipment and the divine metals! They all possess the tokens [DIVINE_MAT_CLOTH], [DIVINE_MAT_WEAPON] and [DIVINE_MAT_ARMOR], which I can gather, that these entities draw materials with the [DIVINE] tag as their choice of weapons-grade metal and clothing.  The only known thing so far of them is that they are [SITE_GUARDIAN] entities.  There's nothing known about what site they're supposed to guard; they might be a new kind of HFS, which is why I put the spoiler-tag here.

- These random entities use randomly-generated languages called GEN_DIVINE.  I haven't scienced it to see, if added words still make them work. I'd assume they do.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:08:54 pm by samanato »

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New random-generated stuff (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:39:00 am »

Very interesting.

Any idea if the [DIVINE] tag can be specified in user created raws?

Similarly, can [DIVINE_MAT_WEAPON] etc. and [SITE_GUARDIAN] be used in user created raws?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:14:52 am »

We need to find where and how they appear before we can test anything. Still, quite interesting. Well done.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:59:14 am »

Another piece to add to the puzzle.

World Gen options.

Generate Divine Materials (Boolean, yes or no)

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 11:40:01 am »

Oh my god, I was already excited about the combat/movement split, jumping, climbing, new sites etc, and then you drop these randomly generated entities on us!?

All of this sounds awesome, thanks for sharing. :D
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:23:41 pm »

What if they are the new guardians of the strange underground structures?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 12:47:33 pm »

I'm wondering if the sites these entities are housed in are the new "vault" sites in legends mode.

Haven't managed to track down their location sadly...
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 04:32:00 pm »

Randomly-generated materials, vaults, and demon-crafted slabs are all somehow linked. The first person who sees this that makes a powerful adventurer should raid a goblin site. Take screenshots.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:25:48 am »

What tool are you using to access the radnomy-generated raws? My tool isn't updated to v0.40 yet. Also, I have a adventurer exploring a vault now. I'll post screens of the vault's insides but they will probably be as messed up as the one above.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 08:29:28 am »

Start dredging through world.dat. It's all there in plaintext between the mishmash.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:45:52 am »

"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 12:46:43 pm »

What tool are you using to access the radnomy-generated raws? My tool isn't updated to v0.40 yet. Also, I have a adventurer exploring a vault now. I'll post screens of the vault's insides but they will probably be as messed up as the one above.

I just use a hex editor.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 02:32:51 pm »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 11:29:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.