Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If the mechanics behind this RtD were simpler, would you join? (Only vote if you have not signed up)

Yes
- 7 (70%)
No
- 3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: Exiles of the Void -- Roll 27  (Read 39030 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Exiles of the Void -- Roll 27
« on: July 08, 2014, 02:56:06 am »

This is a Sci-fi RtD. In space!

Players will control characters on a colony ship in search of a new home. New mechanics for combat and the like shall be added as the game progresses, but where this will go... nobody knows.

The game will most likely end when a colony is established and no more complications occur. I do not intend to make this an easy task, however. *grins*

BACKGROUND INFO

In a faraway sector, human colonists had settled the stars. They spread themselves out over many worlds, developing new culture and technologies. After only a few decades of expansion, however, scientists stumbled upon a very inconvenient fact: their entire sector was parked in front of a dying star, directly within the sights of a gamma ray burst. Knowing the only way to escape inevitable doom, they constructed a series of arks meant to ferry away thousands of people to safer worlds. Our story revolves around the first of these, the Anaxagoras.

The Anaxagoras is a 150,000 tonne vessel carrying 10,000 souls, mostly in various stages of a freeze/unfreeze cycle designed to slow down aging and minimize food requirements. The working crew of the ship consists of a meager six and a captain, which are periodically awakened in order to check on the ship and make decisions. Travelling through wormholes parked at varying distances from stars, left by the ancients, the Anaxagoras makes its way from system to system, light-years away from home, in a seemingly-endless journey to find a planet on which to continue mankind's legacy. Only time will tell if they will succeed.

RULES AND MECHANICS

First off:
  • Bold your actions! I cannot stress how important it is for the GM to know what people actually want to do. Please edit posts that are no longer relevant.
  • Quote people when you are talking to their characters, just to avoid confusion.
  • Major actions include: combat, crafting, entering a conversation (the GM can continue conversations out of a roll post), etc. Minor actions are simple things such as moving about, looting containers, banter, etc. You can have one major action and several minor actions per roll.
  • If you do not post within a week of the last roll, your character will be auto'd. After the first auto, I will no longer wait for that character's actions before rolling. After three autos your character becomes an NPC and you must enter the waiting list to rejoin.
  • Conversation with player characters does not require an action. Please interact with players that are talking to you! I tend to avoid 'possessing' player characters with the voice of the GM as only the player truly knows how the character would speak in a certain situation.
  • OOC chat should be marked with ((double parenthesis)). Spoilers are recommended, but not required.

Thanks for reading!

Spoiler: Dice (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dice Table (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Attributes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Leveling (click to show/hide)

STARFARING

So you thought this was a regular RtD? Well, the point of this RtD is to travel from star to star and perform !!science!! on planets to see if you can start a colony or base somewhere. You have limited manpower, but technology is on your side.
I would recommend checking out this site as it contains a lot of interesting info on science fiction concepts and science. It is a lot of reading, though, so don't look at it as required reading but more of a time-waster for those inclined to like sci-fi.

This section of the OP will remain as-is, but future mechanics will be altered and added. I won't update the OP as it will cause a lot of confusion when I forget to, so for all intents and purposes, you'll just learn as you go if you haven't followed along.

Spoiler: DeltaV (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Drive (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Missions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Planetary Exploration (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Crew Management (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ship Management (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Repairs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Meta (click to show/hide)

CHARACTERS

This is the character sheet. Waitlist and playerlist in next post.

Rules for stats and traits:
-Each person gets 10 points.
-One point in an attribute costs 2 points
-A positive trait costs 2 points
-A neutral trait costs 1 point
-A negative trait gives 2 points
-You can have a maximum of 6 traits at the beginning (this is an absolute max, not a recommended amount)

Character Sheet:
Code: [Select]
[b]Name: [/b]
[b]Appearance: [/b](Mention general appearance, such as tall, skinny, fat, scars, etc.)
[b]Homeworld: [/b](Mention what kind of world. For example, feudal world, cyberpunk world, united Terran world, and so on. You can be as creative as you'd like)
[b]Background: [/b](An education should suffice, but feel free to tell a story.)
[b]Attributes: [/b](Put a number by each.)
[img]http://www.ckiiwiki.com/images/5/5e/Icon_diplomacy.png[/img][b]Diplomacy[/b]:
[img]http://www.ckiiwiki.com/images/4/4c/Icon_martial.png[/img][b]Force[/b]:
[img]http://www.ckiiwiki.com/images/6/6e/Icon_intrigue.png[/img][b]Intrigue[/b]:
[img]http://www.ckiiwiki.com/images/9/9d/Icon_learning.png[/img][b]Wisdom[/b]:
[b]Traits: [/b](Color them blue for positive, darkorange for neutral, red for negative. Abbr tag preferred, but if you can't be bothered, then just write it out.)

Six characters will be picked in the end (this is not FCFS). At the same time, we will be designing the Anaxagoras!

Current Players:
-Varee
-Alev
-Samarkand
-DarkArtemisFowl
-IcyTea31
-Powder Miner

Waitlist (1):
-Playergamer
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:05:26 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exiles of the Void -- Sign-ups open
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:23:18 am »

damn this look crazy complicated, just the way i like it, will reserve a spot till i finish the rule
Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:13:32 am by Varee »
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 09:22:18 am »

Name: Nous

Rest of the sheet will go up when I'm on my computer and can format properly. Reserving that name though!
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:01:14 am »

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:44:14 am by Powder Miner »

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 11:10:56 am »

Your ship will require a baseline of 1 MW at all times to run successfully. This is about 1 kg of uranium every 81 seconds, or about 0.39 kg of uranium per year. In order to keep your ship running, you need to feed your reactor with whatever fuel it desires to run at the baseline level.

There something wrong with ths statement gm,it doesnt really add up

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:32:07 pm »

Your ship will require a baseline of 1 MW at all times to run successfully. This is about 1 kg of uranium every 81 seconds, or about 0.39 kg of uranium per year. In order to keep your ship running, you need to feed your reactor with whatever fuel it desires to run at the baseline level.

Yes, it should be 389591,679012 kg per year. Which is a lot.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:32:39 pm »

Yes, it should be 389591,679012 kg per year. Which is a lot.

The 1 kg statement is an error, I was about a million off before I went and fixed the values. The correct figure is 1 kg per 81000000 seconds.
The entire OP had to go through multiple cycles of revision before I even posted it, and several times after. xD You are welcome to point out any additional errors.

EDIT: @Powder Miner
Luna is far, far away from the sector in the lore. The worlds being talked about came from a colonial effort that brought several thousand humans across the galaxy several orders of magnitude of lightyears away. I've changed the OP a little since it seems to have been misleading. ;)
Also @Varee, your sheet is a little broken due to the font. Does 'short sighted' refer to visual perception or to a mental habit?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:56:32 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 05:00:09 pm »

Name: Sophie Nous             ((BTW, I love ancient philosophy…))
Appearance: Slightly below average height, wiry, pixy cut bleach blond hair
Homeworld: Grew up in the slums of a lunar community whose only industry was mining a nearby gas giant
Background: After she stole the journal of a man who was undercover for the government she was trained as a spy herself
Attributes:
Diplomacy: 1
Force: 2
Intrigue: 2
Wisdom: 1 
Traits: PTSD, Addict, Kleptomaniac, Vegetarian

((I think this fits well with the other sheets so far, let me know about the drug thing and whether or not you'd like more detail anywhere else.))
My Area

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exiles of the Void -- SIGN UPS OPEN
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 06:38:15 pm »

Well i dont see any other mistake yet
Also short sighted mean he needs a glasses to see properly

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 09:43:49 pm »

Varee, your sheet is still broken. I would suggest going into replace mode and removing all size tags, since the sheet doesn't have any size BBcode.

Name: Sophie Nous             ((BTW, I love ancient philosophy…))
Appearance: Slightly below average height, wiry, pixy cut bleach blond hair
Homeworld: Grew up in the slums of a lunar community whose only industry was mining a nearby gas giant
Background: After she stole the journal of a man who was undercover for the government she was trained as a spy herself
Attributes:
Diplomacy: 1
Force: 2
Intrigue: 2
Wisdom: 1 
Traits: PTSD, Addict, Kleptomaniac, Vegetarian

((I think this fits well with the other sheets so far, let me know about the drug thing and whether or not you'd like more detail anywhere else.))

I can modify the traits to make them more consistent. For example:
PTSD: When surrounded by 3 or more targets, roll a dice. If the result is 3, become Panicked. (Panicked: -1 to all actions. Lasts x turns where x is the number of attackers minus 2)
Addict: When you don't have alcohol in your system, get -1 to all actions, getting an additional -1 after 5 turns and a third -1 after 10 more turns. Drinking alcohol cancels these effects for 10 turns.
((Alcohol makes the most sense here--you would not be picked as a member of the crew if you were dependent on something that couldn't be acquired in space))
Kleptomaniac: +1 to stealing small objects, -1 to doing anything else if you are able to.
Vegetarian: -1 to eating meat. +1 to eating vegetables.
((I have no idea how this works...))

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 09:59:43 pm »

Those look good to me. I wasn't sure how you wanted to balance so I left the mechanism a little vague.
My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 10:18:22 pm »

Those look good to me. I wasn't sure how you wanted to balance so I left the mechanism a little vague.

As a general note, neutral traits are not always good and not always bad. Negative traits always give penalties, while positive traits are never bad and only give bonuses.
More complicated traits will be added (such as 'You may dodge twice per turn') when new mechanics are introduced.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 12:17:25 am »

well i delete them. also is the table for solar system is used for the game? or is it just an example. also are we staying on the ark or are we going outside too.
the op make it sound like we train crew and send them out? so does the crew have random stat or are they blank slate?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 05:40:19 pm »

well i delete them. also is the table for solar system is used for the game? or is it just an example. also are we staying on the ark or are we going outside too.
the op make it sound like we train crew and send them out? so does the crew have random stat or are they blank slate?

• The table is just an example. Similar tables will be presented as the ship travels between star systems.
  • You can leave the ship if you wish to go yourselves. Most of the crew are inexperienced and untrained, so you might be more effective on a ground mission than the reserve crew.
  • Crew are basically NPC's. For example, if you can carry 15 on a shuttle you can send all 6 players plus 9 NPC's. The NPC's will have random stats but will have a -1 penalty to all actions due to being recently unfrozen. They also might have negative traits like Spoiled.
  • You can train them in actual situations, or tech them yourselves. Having a character with a teaching trait is beneficial here, but having high Diplomacy and Wisdom can help.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:42:28 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 12:44:26 am »

Fixed the homeworld problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30