Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tips for adventure mode  (Read 6047 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for adventure mode
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 09:07:21 am »

You can check the wiki, 2 attributes are completely useless in current adv mode :
Creativity
Musicality
2 could be seen as useless too as they apparently influence conversations (not recruitment) with NPC and well, we know how it is currently .. it was inevitable :
Patience
Linguistic Ability

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 09:16:10 am »

I know I could check the wiki, was just asking peoples opinions.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 10:45:46 am »

Hmm i think i answered, if you don't want answers, don't ask questions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 11:35:38 am »

Hmm i think i answered, if you don't want answers, don't ask questions.

I did want an answer, lol, and thanks.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 11:42:02 am »

Also, having high disease resistance makes becoming a vampire harder, and you will probably die in combat far before normal infections, and analytical ability affects only knapping, which is pretty useless, so you should reduce those to minimum too.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 01:11:51 pm »

A bit of a question on starting attributes. Which ones should I use as dump stats? That is, put the amount to the lowest.

Dump based on what type of character you are making.

My dwarven ranger (played with no training):

Superior Strength (carrying bolts requires the premium here instead of agility)
High Agility
Superior Toughness (Will likely get injured so, this at highest)
High Endurance
Average Recuperation
Average Disease
Above Average Focus (doesn't need to be all that high since focus is one of a dwarf's best stats, can reach superdwarven from average, and every archer supposedly needs focus)
High Will Power
Average Intuition
Average Memory (can maze crawl)
Average Spatial
Above Average Kinesthetic Sense
++Everything else dumped to very low

A pure powerleveled 20k shield/dodge brute that can afford to carry 200 hydra meat and get swarmed*:

Superior Strength
High Agility
Superior Toughness (can switch with agility as what powerleveled character plans on being hit?
*Superior Endurance (will never get tired unless wrestling, can defend with many shields)
Average Recuperation
Average Disease
High Will Power
Average Spatial
Average Kinesthetic Sense
++Everything else dumped to very low

This character is not good to maze crawl since memory is so low, but great to retire (after drinking blood) in on old fort where he/she can drive off any goblin invasion or be unretired to strike down one of your nobles.

So, to echo smjjames, it would be great to hear what others dump and also what others raise and why. Every build someone posts helps everyone with variations. I've read many of the old threads and seen some ideas on pastebin/reddit, but more is always good to see.

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 09:20:57 pm »

I've found a very easy way to kill just about anything. Enter stealth mode and sneak up behind your target. Engage in called shot combat, and do a strong stab attack at the victim's head (Shift+A, Alt+y, Head, v, stab). The attack is slow, but it doesn't seem to matter on your unwary victim. If it doesn't kill the victim on the first blow, it always seems to knock it out from pain or some such. A second stab seems to finish it then easily enough. I've been using pikes, longswords, and two-handed swords like this.

Exchange with human commoners for Slicing Knives. These make ideal throwing weapons. Their small contact areas mean just about any throw breaks a bone, severs an artery, or gives a terrible pierce wound. I carry six in a quiver.

A ring of fires makes for a decent defensive perimeter. You can also make a horseshoe shape to allow enemies to advance only from the one side.

Tombs are !!FUN!! places to find gear. Simply examine each room from the door, in sneak mode. If you think you see a pillar verify from a distance its not a coffin. Avoid coffin rooms completely and loot the goodies!
Pages: 1 [2]