Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Best DF2014 conversations  (Read 60128 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best DF2014 conversations
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2014, 07:36:00 pm »

Was council of owners the group the adventurer had formed or the group that formerly governed the site?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2014, 08:08:28 pm »

What about trading with a merchant who is "no quarter" fighting you? Good thing these civilians have really shitty accuracy.

Freak2121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2014, 08:32:50 pm »

I was preparing for a fierce battle with a midnight crone, and somewhat expecting my own death. Instead...

I could ask more if you guys are interested. :p
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:35:43 pm by Freak2121 »

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2014, 08:36:30 pm »

repeatedly throw him until the heir is in an isolated area
I think throwing turns fights into no quarter. I threw an elf off a tree and it escalated into that from a brawl.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:10 pm »

Well, since everyone is pansy and combat is really easy in this version im not using armor anyome, I just dress my adventurer up as a schoolgirl and go kill everything. This is becoming an anime.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2014, 08:48:13 pm »

repeatedly throw him until the heir is in an isolated area
I think throwing turns fights into no quarter. I threw an elf off a tree and it escalated into that from a brawl.

What if the victim is already unconscious though? SCIENCE should be done, but I don't have access to DF right now.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2014, 08:53:54 pm »

A real, live, computer-generated NPC location.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2014, 09:03:42 pm »

I've been slowly converting all of my custom creatures to work with the new version, and have begun testing them in the arena.
I had 5 of them face off against a bunch of cats, and this was the result;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2014, 09:07:37 pm »

I've been slowly converting all of my custom creatures to work with the new version, and have begun testing them in the arena.
I like how they switched to singular nouns for the last two cats.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2014, 09:10:29 pm »

"A few weeks ago gods died, gods died,god died and god died in The Arena"

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2014, 11:37:19 pm »

It IS inevitable that overusing this meme will turn it into "Arrow to the Knee": Dwarf Fortress Edition. That's what part of me thinks. The other part of me hopes that when gods of fate release demons from hell for reasons generally along the lines of "it was written", that there will eventually be multiple possible lines to describe the reasoning, one of which will be "because it was inevitable."

Yeah, but for now it is terrifying fun.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2014, 11:57:25 pm »

I love this so much. The new conversation engine only results in complete surrealist absurdity with every conversation.

HAha, Weasel story is hilarious. Another slightly edited story from my adventure:

==============================================================

Ugo MaliceBeards, human outcast and traveller, have been crossing a mountain pass for several days. Tired and dehydrated, his body longed for a proper night's rest and warm food. He was approaching a site that should, according to his maps, contain a dwarven settlement. Ugo expected ramparts, walls, sturdy gates, and watchful patrols, but to his surprise, all he found was a hole in the ground with a ladder. Carefully, he descended the ladder and found himself in a dusty cave, dimly lit with several torches, with a few beds and sparse furniture. A single, healthy and content looking dwarf was sitting at a table carving a figurine from wood.

"Hello, my name is Ugo MaliceBeards. Could you please tell me about your local troubles?"
The dwarf turned his creation in his hands, looking at it from several angles. "Well met, Ugo. We have here ... abductions, night horrors and bandits."
"Tell me about the bandints, then."
"A month ago, Borpo PlasticAxe, bandit leader and heathen, has started to terrorize local people with his band called Romantic Colors."
"And could you tell me where I could find this Borpo, friend?"
"You cannot find him, for he is dead. A troll called Buchu NightCabbage has abducted Borpo three weeks ago, torturing him to death shortly after."
"My blade longs for heroic deeds. Tell me, where could I find this troll Buchu to prove my mettle?"
"You could find him in a nearby forest, he won't put much of a fight."
"Why is that?"
"Two weeks ago, my friend and companion Urist LongBottoms has tracked and killed this monster, whose lust for murder cost lives of hundreds."
"That's excellent news, I would like to meet your friend Urist, commend his bravery and perhaps learn from him about combat."
"I am afraid that is not possible, my friend, for Urist has left this world a week ago. He was killed at midnight in his sleep."
"And pray tell me, who committed this craven murder?"
Suddenly, the torches' flames dimmed a bit, and a chilling breeze blew through the cavern. In a moment of darkness, the eyes of Ugo's host gleamed with red light and he naked his long, white teeth in an ugly smile.
"That is an excellent question, Ugo, I thought you would never ask. It's time I told you about the night horrors that plague this land."

This is amazing. Seriously sounds like the beginning to a folk tale or epic myth.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2014, 12:10:43 am »

Was council of owners the group the adventurer had formed or the group that formerly governed the site?

The group I formed. But I did just hit R until I got something that fit a follower of the god of rulership.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2014, 12:33:57 am »

The group I formed. But I did just hit R until I got something that fit a follower of the god of rulership.
Have you tried gifting people who hate you as leader with valuable crap repeatedly and seeing if their opinion of you changes? I've heard that can make them like you more, and given how thought works in fortress mode typically, I have a feeling you can make anyone willing to speak to you adore you.
It was inevitable.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2014, 12:54:12 am »

I like how every line in each conversation has barely anything to do with each other.

Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10