Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mystery Babies?  (Read 15995 times)

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Mystery Babies?
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:48:03 am »

Running a 2014 fort and it is now winter.  I didn't get a caravan but I did get...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Babies?

I can't use C to locate them.  I have no idea what is going on.  There are also 2 dwarf babies listed as my citizens, but their parents aren't in the fort and I can't find them.  Could there be goblin snatchers underground?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Babies?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:00:38 am »

UNDERGROUND SNATCHERS?
Holy crap.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:04:01 am »

Well I'm not actually sure.  Their numbers spiked and now they've fallen to only 6 or so.  There was just a sudden influx of babies and then they left.  A snatching operation beneath my fortress is just a guess.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Boudazzler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:09:41 pm »

I am running into the same issue. At any one time I'll have between 15 and 35 mystery babies. I've even got a lovely Winged Troll Baby and her kidnapped husband hanging out. If the snatchers are hidden but babies can be seen, would that mean killing the snatchers would net me all these random kids? Would be interesting.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 12:20:15 pm »

Wave o' Babies!

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:31:28 pm »

If there's anything less useful than dwarf babies and more despised than elf merchants, it's elf babies.

Let the goblins take them. It's for their own good.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 12:36:33 pm »

Babysplosion. And they are all sneaking/stealthed. They were raised by Necromancers (or Kobolds)

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:50:40 pm »

Could it possibly be because those babies are being born in the outside world and are showing up on the screen as a bug?
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:58:05 pm »

I don't think so.  They regularly disappear and new ones reappear, so I think they might be traveling as a patrol underground.
It was inevitable.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 01:17:01 pm »

I am running into the same issue. At any one time I'll have between 15 and 35 mystery babies. I've even got a lovely Winged Troll Baby and her kidnapped husband hanging out. If the snatchers are hidden but babies can be seen, would that mean killing the snatchers would net me all these random kids? Would be interesting.

It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 01:21:36 pm »

It's like the snatchers are coming, but they're also bringing along allllllllll the other babies they've babynapped.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 01:37:14 pm »

This happened on my fort as well. About 60 human/elf/dwarf 'friendly' babies appearing, along with 6 dwarf babies as invisible migrants.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 01:38:50 pm »

How big are snatchersacks? Because that's a lot of babies.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 01:48:04 pm »

Did anyone actually check the caverns for babies yet?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 01:50:57 pm »

I don't think so.  They regularly disappear and new ones reappear, so I think they might be traveling as a patrol underground.

This comment brings rather twisted image to my mind; army of babies, released from the evil snatcher, has formed a independent group which is now patrolling the long forgotten tunnels, punishing every snatcher they can see and catch...
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."
Pages: [1] 2 3