Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] 0.40 Secret Content Discussion [NOSERIOUSLYSPOILERS]  (Read 28065 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] 0.40 Secret Content Discussion [NOSERIOUSLYSPOILERS]
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 05:56:15 pm »

Oh, and by the way, there's an easy trick to find vaults (technically cheating, but who cares): Use Legends mode to export the world's XML data, search for "vault" to find the map tile coordinates of the vault. Then start up Fortress Mode, and on the embark selection screen, move your embark rectangle around on that map tile until you find that single square that causes the "embark!" option to be grayed out. That is where the vault is. Take a screenshot of your embark screen, then abort Fortress Mode (don't ever save your world, your save will always be corrupted), make a backup of the world (in case DF does weird shit), and visit the site in adv mode.

I don't know what underworld spires are, but if they're aboveground, you can obviously find them like that too.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 06:04:01 pm »

"Vault" and "Vault Guardian" sounds fine by me as well. No reason to force any jokes beyond the point of comedy. (For the record, my username is unrelated to DF's clowns. Different forum, I was young, long story.)

So, has anyone checked out these things' creators in Legends mode? Do the gods now create angels to do their bidding, or are they the handiwork of disguised demons? I'm kind of betting on the first.

I wonder if the angelic materials are procedurally generated...? And are the angels themselves related to the spheres of their progenitors?
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 06:09:52 pm »

Tbh, I use "clowns" and the associated terminogy as more of a nickname than an anti-spoiler device. Now whoever suggested mimes; that's brilliant!

Presumably the gods put the guardians there to stop moronic adventurers and/or dorfs from finding a new form of fun at the bottom of the vault; they're there to stop us from having fun, and the joke is that mimes are extremely unfun, which contrasts nicely with the "fun" theme naming of clowns.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 06:54:09 pm »

Tbh, I use "clowns" and the associated terminogy as more of a nickname than an anti-spoiler device. Now whoever suggested mimes; that's brilliant!

Presumably the gods put the guardians there to stop moronic adventurers and/or dorfs from finding a new form of fun at the bottom of the vault; they're there to stop us from having fun, and the joke is that mimes are extremely unfun, which contrasts nicely with the "fun" theme naming of clowns.
Thank you :).

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 07:15:29 pm »

So, has anyone checked out these things' creators in Legends mode? Do the gods now create angels to do their bidding, or are they the handiwork of disguised demons? I'm kind of betting on the first.

I wonder if the angelic materials are procedurally generated...? And are the angels themselves related to the spheres of their progenitors?
To quote a legend from my current world...

"In a time before time, the iguana devil Os Nightmarebad the Pebble of Crawling thrust a spire of slade up from the underworld, naming it The Wicked Bastion, and established a gateway between worlds in Sinfulmud."

"Gofeng was a deity that occurs in the myths of The Realm of Brains. Gofeng was most often depicted as a famale human and was associated with misery and torture."

"In a time before time, Gofeng aided the iguana devil Os Nightmarebad the Pebble of Crawling in becoming a permanent part of the living world that it might bathe in misery forever. The ritual took place in Bewitchedhealers using The Scandalous Tragedy."

The Scandalous Tragedy was a slab created by Os. The Bewitchedhealers is the vault in which in the slab was finally stored after being used by the Godess Gofeng to make Os a permanent part of the living world. The place at which the Godess performed the ritual was at the gateway between worlds within The Slade Spire known as the Wicked Bastion created by Os in a time before time.

Edit: I added the rest of the legends surrounding Os and the spire.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:39:34 pm by Melting Sky »

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 07:34:17 pm »

Also present in Legends: actual gods (usually human) are the ones responsible for demons breaching into the earth. There's flavor text for that.
I'm eager to see that challenge in a sort-of-spoiled way. Looking back to the maps Toady uploaded a few months ago I knew it was going to be terrific, and also really hard, to get inside those structures.

Now, Toady made some kind of disclaimer about these sites:
Quote from: Toady One at release day
Some experiments with procedural items, though the new demon-type sites are still quite un-fun now. The knowledge on the slab at the bottom can be used, but it is probably not worth the trouble.

Bolding is mine. Some more feedback and testing will bring a lot of flesh to this promising feature.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 08:19:43 pm »

Not just gods of torture and suffering either.

"Zod Growledbulwarks was a deity that occurs in the myths of The Lost Flag. Zon was most often depicted as a male dwarf and was associated with valor, war and fortresses."

"In a time before time, Zon aided the indigo devil Asithi Parchpebble the Ruthlness of Plagues in becoming a permanent part of the living world to provide opprotunities for acts of valor to be performed. The ritual took place in Gateshot using Heroicgrips the Gale of Tempests."

"In a time before time, Zon aided the opossum brute Ak Mangyyell in becoming a permanent part of the living world that war might rage forever. The ritual took place in Castlecanyons using Greatesteagle the Competitive Keys."

Er, thanks Zon. Seems there's a number of spheres that would drive a god to raise forth Hell.

EDIT: "In a time before time, Ulet the Scrubbed Skirts aided the clear devil Edir Frothydrive the Silken Seducer of Brides in becoming a permanent part of the living world after pondering the ineffable subtleties of youth. The ritual took place in Towercreeks using the Dusk of Fathers." I, uh, what. Ulet, by the by, is associated with longevity, youth, children, family, and marriage.

EDIT 2: While Edir is associated with... oy vey. Youth, rebirth, lust, longevity, children, and birth. I guess it makes sense that the demons called forth have similar spheres to the ones doing the calling.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:31:24 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 08:34:02 pm »

I found this in legends mode.
In a time before time, (god whose name I forget) aided the (demon whose name I forget) in becoming a permanent part of the living world after pondering the uses of fish.
Wut.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 08:36:33 pm »

Seems like war gods, death gods, and gods of suffering/misery and so on seem to be the most likely to raise demons. Granted, for the war god, it seemed as if he did so as a challenge and to inspire acts of valor among mortals against the demon, whereas the others just did it to fuck up the world even more than it usually is.

Given that these sites' guards are allied with demons but not demons themselves, I'd go with "carnies" and "the carnival" for their mock-spoiler nicknames.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 09:06:44 pm »

So I did an uncompressed save of a world I generated and couldn't get any info on those new divine metals, but I DID get raws for those vault guardians.

Here's an example of one, presumably one of the "easy" ones; picked this one for an example because it has one of the most terrifying names to all of dwarfkind (and also since it bears a passing resemblance to an angel)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's what I assume to be a "hard" one.

Oh, and since those divine metals are usable in the Arena mode, I messed around with them and they appear to be disgustingly overpowered. As in "adamantine might be weak compared to them".

Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 09:48:35 pm »

Here's an example of one, presumably one of the "easy" ones; picked this one for an example because it has one of the most terrifying names to all of dwarfkind (and also since it bears a passing resemblance to an angel)

I couldn't think of anything other than this, sorry.

They look awfully powerful! I wonder if there's some chance of winning against them in fair conditions. There might be an awful ammount of grind involved for that to happen.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 10:10:50 pm »

So now there's randomly generated ANGELS as well as demons. Nice.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] Vaults [NOSERIOUSLYSPOILERS]
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »

Can someone try to find out what the monsters here are guarding?
From what Toady said, it is a slab of some sort.
RETURN THE SLAB
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 10:29:14 pm »

Here's a little raw easter egg (though you could find it if you wanted to play as fluffy wamblers):

[GAIT:WALK:Stumble Bumble:1600:NO_BUILD_UP:0:STEALTH_SLOWS:25]
   [GAIT:WALK:Wamble:2900:NO_BUILD_UP:0:STEALTH_SLOWS:25]
   [GAIT:CRAWL:Crawl:5900:NO_BUILD_UP:0]
   [GAIT:CLIMB:Climb:5900:NO_BUILD_UP:0]

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] Vaults [NOSERIOUSLYSPOILERS]
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2014, 10:46:26 pm »

RETURN THE SLAB
"Or suffer my curse!"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:49:16 pm by Melting Sky »