Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you get out of that f%@!^! underground dwarven start location?  (Read 2619 times)

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As the subject's title says. How the hell am I supposed to navigate myself out of that pre-generated underground mountainhome you're usually put in when starting as a dwarf?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Move toward the outside of the mountain range. Eventually you'll find a dead end with a ramp upwards.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile

I spent a hour looking for the exit, and I ended up just starting as something other than a dwarf,
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile

Sometimes you're put into an unescapable place with no exits. When you searched for some time, but can't leave - kill yourself and start anew.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it'd be a lot easier if you started say near the trade depot, or at least closer to the surface.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile

Don't bother going deep into one-tile-wide hallways; those lead to bedrooms much of the time. I've found that the wider passageways tend to lead to the main shaft of the fortress.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The first test for all dwarves is escaping the mountainhome. If you can deal with that, you're worthy of greater things. Why do you think migrants in fort mode only come every so often? Traveling to your fort is the easy part, getting out the front door is what takes them two-odd months.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

If you're in the deep sites, try to fast-travel or find a place you can fast-travel from, which puts you in the tunnels and caverns. From there, look for a Fortress, which can link the tunnels to the surface.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it is a fact it is very easily to get lost inside a world gen fortress. The exits should be more evident to the player. What do you think, this should be a suggestion or a bug report?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

there's a place called "the entrance" to the fort, which is a hole... once you find this hole with a ramp on it climb upwards. that's is how you escape the mountainhome.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you get out of that f%@!^! underground dwarven start location?
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 04:43:41 am »

I've spawned in a floor with various workshops on my dwarf.
The floor above was very labyrinthine and had small 2x2 rooms, some filled with large clothing and others empty
I've returned back to the workshop floor, navigated a bit, and crashed for no apparent reason. Didn't block any attack. Didn't talk to my deity.
Now I have to repeat the world update process again, which takes a lot of time.
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 09:37:04 am »

I am also trying to find my way out. One thing I did find was a room full of cheese. Can I take some of this cheese, or will I get in trouble? I might starve before I find my way out otherwise.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 10:02:59 am »

Sometimes you're put into an unescapable place with no exits. When you searched for some time, but can't leave - kill yourself and start anew.
Yes, that's a big problem (fortunately it's been reported), my first ever adventurer on this new version was a dwarf and he started into a fortress that wasn't big (unlike a recent character in which the fortress was a gigantic silly multi-level maze of titanic proportion) but that had absolutely no exit.

And without dfhack to deconstruct a wall, retiring and rolling a new character is the only way out.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 11:46:13 am »

Yes, that's a big problem (fortunately it's been reported), my first ever adventurer on this new version was a dwarf and he started into a fortress that wasn't big (unlike a recent character in which the fortress was a gigantic silly multi-level maze of titanic proportion) but that had absolutely no exit.

Urist McEntombed says: At least it does not rain down here.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.