Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: Toady, a little rant on modern Dwarf Fortress  (Read 47865 times)

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toady, a little rant on modern Dwarf Fortress
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:51:44 pm »

As you can see from my profile number I was part of the first "wave" that contributed spreading then word about Dwarf Fortress when it started to surface. I also remember that I helped hosting mirrors when Toady needed to relieve the load on the site. So I'm one of these oldies, disgruntled players that now is going to tell you how things were so much better at the time.

Albeit, I'll doing this by pointing at solid motives, and explain why it's more an objective thing than it is about personal preference and rose tinted glasses.

Things WERE indeed better at the time. Here's why.

First generation Dwarf Fortress (or at least the 2006 incarnation, that I think was the first to really go public) gained its popularity because it was basically a "canvas" that a player could use to draw his own art. The essential part of the game was building a fortress in a unique style and share on forums these big screenshots showing these HUGE fortresses. It was a visual spectacle. Sharing screenshots was as big part of the experience as playing the actual game.

This was the time when Dwarf Fortress was in what specifically I consider its golden age. Bug fixes happened very quickly and we were getting new releases every few days, if not every day. Toady would talk about what he was adding or fixing, and you'd get to test it the next day. Feedback would be incorporated and you could see the game improve constantly and make big strides forward. Following its development was rewarding, because you got to contribute, see it growing constantly, and enjoy the game because it was already extremely playable and even polished (to some extent). Features would go in, and if something didn't work it was quickly fixed.

Then it was the time of the first big hiatus. I don't remember how long it took, but it brought the z-depth and it brought the possibility to enlarge the client window. Imho, the latter is the biggest feature.

The thing is: the z-depth brought a lot to the game, but it also took away. I would never say that the game was better without the z-depth, but it certainly made the game lose something. The fact is that 2D ASCII isn't suitable for 3D depth. This is a fact of game design, not opinion. 2D is perfect for abstract representation, so it's perfect for top-down view of a management game. When you add z-depth, you're instead going against the nature of your medium, and adding a complication that you can tolerate, but not overcome. But this is not the actual issue. The core of the difference between classic DF and modern DF is that the classic one was about the art on the canvas, whereas modern DF is more about the canvas than the art.

In classic DF the layout was always essentially the same. There were only a few variables that would change, like the wildlife population, but the canvas was the same, and your fortress was always fully contained on the same screen. You got everything at a glance. Now instead, and it is positive in many ways, the canvas determines how you play, and your fortress is shaped by the environment as it is shaped by you, the player. The thing is: it also lost some of that original charm and broke some of its parts that before worked so well.

What I mean here is that you have to understand the tension there is on the game design level between these two opposites: from one side there's player control, the sandbox you shape any way you want, making your game and gameplay style totally different from how a different player does it. From the opposite side there's the game's own impositions, that restrict player's freedom and force him adapt to the game's own demands.

So, sandbox and realism are almost antithetic. In sandbox you want control and freedom, without the game forcing you to constantly change your plans. In realism you want to "game", because you play the world and against the challenges it throws at you. You still have some freedom, but for the most part the focus is on reacting to the world, more than creating and shaping things the way you plan.

Meaning that Dwarf Fortress is inherently made of conflicting interests and it will always struggle to keep all kinds of players happy. And in trying to overstretch, it also risks breaking (without a direction that is more savvy than it is just hopeful and utopian).

Looking at some external forums, I'm noticing my jaded (but still extremely excited) reaction to the new release is actually quite common: a lot more than two years passed from the latest version (that wasn't limited bug fixing) but we don't see a whole lot, and this new rewrite surely broke a number of things.

The problem here is twofold, and here I hope Toady considers these points:
1- I believe the game saw a MUCH more significant, tangible and positive development when it was done through small, incremental, almost daily updates, with plenty of community feedback, compared to this new style of total rewrites behind the scenes that take years to complete and then lots more to hammer into a playable, enjoyable state (if ever). Imho, open source would push DF to a whole new level, but beside that I hope Toady still consider more going into a more collaborative development and frequent releases.
2- The game was also more polished, consistent, free of bugs and better designed overall. While I LOVE detail and absurd depth, DF transformed into a feature creep that horribly damaged the game and its potential more than it helped it. The sprawl is literally incoherent, and this direction isn't going to help fulfilling the vision, it only chases catastrophic utopias.

Having direction meas you evaluate the complexity of a feature against its actual impact. And there are features in DF that took an insanely long time to develop and that are almost completely irrelevant. Or, simply put: please focus on what actually makes the game better and more enjoyable, instead of chasing after the virtual world chimera. There is a limit to what you SHOULD model, even ideally.

I have a VERY unpopular opinion: the most famous stories about DF are merely the emergent product of BUGS that are then "explained away" through imaginative stories by the players. This isn't good AT ALL.

The game acting spectacularly incoherent isn't something to applaud to. This is identical to popular youtube videos showing how some physics game engine breaks in some games. It's similar to all those famous Skyrim glitches. They are good for laughs, but they aren't examples of a good game. DF is often broken in various ways, and players play with bugs more than they play with features that behave correctly.

Imho, DF realizes its ambition and its potential when it functions consistently and coherently. If there's a bug that makes some goblin invulnerable and, so, into some legendary monster, this isn't praiseworthy. This is just a broken game. If two dwarfs get locked into eternal wrestling fight, this isn't "epic", this is just a terrible bug.

So, simply put, DF is in a state where it's WAY PAST the point where it needs more features creep and instead need to start fixing and polishing what is already there.

PLEASE stop going into years of rewrites that break the game even more, and spend the next couple of years to actually make a GOOD game. Almost polished I'd say. There's stuff needed that could be done in days if not hours, and that would improve the experience immensely.

The UI needs cleaning. It needed cleaning EIGHT YEARS AGO. It needs cleaning more than it needs EVERY other new feature. Modders need better support instead of wasting so much time trying to hack into memory. DF needs, right now, focus on usability more than it needs to model the dwarfs individual fingers or arm hair.

I'm reading that in this new version the game now randomly generates metals. Fine. Are they mechanically different? This is the question. If they aren't, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

DF doesn't need more "noise". It doesn't need simulate depth when this depth is faked. It's not like it's such a simple game that NEEDS OBFUSCATION. We have like hundreds types of materials and colors on screen. ARE THEY MECHANICALLY DIFFERENT? Nope. Noise on screen. Different text that behaves mechanically the same. This is utterly stupid. If you put on my screen different types of stones then I pretend that they differ in something tasngible. That they have a point. Otherwise it's noise, not music.

Even if you WANT those types, and are absolutely contrary to remove that. That's good. For me it's the same. But mechanics NEED GO FIRST. First you make things have a functional impact in the game, THEN you add them. You can't simply add the stuff because you plan six years later to actually start coding how they work. It's just a terrible way of doing things.

You have five mechanical variations? Then you add five types in the game. When you have more you add more. But you can't have in the game five mechanical variations and then add hundred types that all work exactly the same.

DF has still immense potential. DF is still the better game ever made, already. IN SPITE of horrible mistakes and terrible choices that Toady made along the years. This rant is made in the hope it's possible to minimize some of those bad choices and maybe reach the potential more effectively, and faster.

If Toady instead spends the next couple of months to fix bugs only to go back into hiatus to rewrite some bigger system, then I'm skeptical we'll even see another version. Much less a worthwhile one that we can be legitimately excited about. For every 10 features added, 20 break. Please invert this trend.

Please go back to 2006 development style with frequent releases and more community involvement. For the foreseeable future and beyond.
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

MeTekillot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toady, a little rant on modern Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 06:54:49 pm »

I disagree.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:55:55 pm »

"We have like hundreds types of materials and colors on screen. ARE THEY MECHANICALLY DIFFERENT? Nope"

That's, like, very untrue.

EDIT:
Imho, open source would push DF to a whole new level
You overestimate the will to code of most people. Also that would fracture the fan base, provoke fights and would be basically the end of DF.

Yeeeeeeeah.

EDIT2: I see that you want, but that's not what Toady wants. You want a game, he want a fantasy world/history generator.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:04:06 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:03:22 pm »

I have a VERY unpopular opinion:

Not really, but you're trying very hard to. :)

I think we'd all like to see more frequent updates and polish, and barring any more rewrites, that can probably be expected.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:09:43 pm »

About the only thing I agree with here is that small incremental updates are usually better than huge ones, and that's just a general rule.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:11:43 pm »

It's an exaggeration.

The point is: stone colors is the most significant thing you have on screen at all times. Yet it's completely irrelevant gameplay-wise. So there's a huge disconnect between utility and presentation.

You overestimate the will to code of most people. Also that would fracture the fan base, provoke fights and would be basically the end of DF.

Make branches. Cataclysm is an example of a game that got out of his original dev hands and HUGELY IMPROVED because of it.

Toady is not replaceable, but he also does stupid things and the nature of close source has hampered a lot of what the game could deliver. Even if it DF stays closed source it needs to make bigger strides as it did when it got to SDL. Toady needs to work more directly with those who are developing graphic modes, and he needs to work NOW on detaching the game mechanics from the UI layer, so that they can part ways.

Why we still have text screens with bits of graphic in them? Why we still have text screen that take the whole space and screens that instead stay in a small square? Why I cant "look around" at tiles with the mouse?

It's (way past) time Toady focus on this stuff.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:15:07 pm by Abalieno »
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:13:44 pm »

Things aren't as bad as you describe; DFHack can do pretty amazing things these days. And the community is pretty strong, developing all kinds of third party tools to increase your DF experience. I'm sure we'll have a 3D overlay renderer before the version 1 comes out.

Granted, the vanilla game will be eternally broken and filled with "placeholders" for features planned 5-10 years later, but the community will be able to fill these gaps itself.

Cataclysm is an example of a game that got out of his original dev hands and HUGELY IMPROVED because of it.
That's not the best example, it's pretty much bloated and got out of control in my opinion. Much better examples are Nethack (original development halted in 2003), Dungeon Crawl (original development halted in 2006), 0.A.D (forked an AoE 2 mod into an entire game), etc. And even then there are disagreements over design choices (most infamously the dungeon crawl dev team) and people fork left and right.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:18:09 pm by Severedicks »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:14:22 pm »

"We have like hundreds types of materials and colors on screen. ARE THEY MECHANICALLY DIFFERENT? Nope"

EDIT:
Imho, open source would push DF to a whole new level

Yeeeeeeeah.

EDIT2: I see that you want, but that's not what Toady wants. You want a game, he want a fantasy world/history generator.

Pretty much this.

Specifically:
I see what you want, but that's not what Toady wants. You want a game, he want a fantasy world/history generator.
And I came to this game wanting the playable fantasy world/history generator as well.
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 07:16:38 pm »

As you can see from my profile number I was part of the first "wave" that contributed spreading then word about Dwarf Fortress when it started to surface. I also remember that I helped hosting mirrors when Toady needed to relieve the load on the site. So I'm one of these oldies, disgruntled players that now is going to tell you how things were so much better at the time.
well first off I guess i have to be "that guy" to say that you don't have any more say in what happens to the game than anyone else.  it's called donating for a reason.  also with hosting a mirror I assume you volunteered to do that and didn't say to toady "ok, but if I do this I get some say in what happens at some point"
Toady is essentially giving away his life's work (incomplete as it may be) for free to anyone who wants it, and he has no responsibility to you or anyone else who has donated, because they are DONATIONS not an exchange for something like a purchase.
Things WERE indeed better at the time. Here's why.
First generation Dwarf Fortress (or at least the 2006 incarnation, that I think was the first to really go public) gained its popularity because it was basically a "canvas" that a player could use to draw his own art. The essential part of the game was building a fortress in a unique style and share on forums these big screenshots showing these HUGE fortresses. It was a visual spectacle. Sharing screenshots was as big part of the experience as playing the actual game
I see what you're saying but is it so important to be able to see it?  I honestly don't think being able to show people with a straight up screenshot is that great, half the fun of DF in its current graphicless form seems to me to be that you use your imagination more than anything else.

Bug fixes happened very quickly and we were getting new releases every few days, if not every day.
I can only assume updates have slowed because as the game gets more complicated there are less things to add that are simple and don't cause feature creep due to other requisite features.  Or maybe toady changed his mind and prefers to do it that way, but again I have to say he has no responsibility to us to show us more of the development.

whereas modern DF is more about the canvas than the art.
not really sure what you mean by that.  sure it's cool to show someone some crazy embark, but I'm sure you'll find people still appreciate what kind of fortresses people build more, and aren't we better off for having more variety in our "canvas" anyway?

So, sandbox and realism are almost antithetic. In sandbox you want control and freedom, without the game forcing you to constantly change your plans. In realism you want to "game", because you play the world and against the challenges it throws at you. You still have some freedom, but for the most part the focus is on reacting to the world, more than creating and shaping things the way you plan.
imo no sandbox is fun without challenge or difficulty, and realism certainly adds that.  If your dwarves completed all labours in one tick and were invulnerable what fun would the game be?  Of course that's not what you propose but the further along that spectrum you move the more boring it is.

Meaning that Dwarf Fortress is inherently made of conflicting interests and it will always struggle to keep all kinds of players happy. And in trying to overstretch, it also risks breaking
i don't agree that toady is overstretching

but we don't see a whole lot, and this new rewrite surely broke a number of things.
I think we see a huge lot.

2- The game was also more polished, consistent, free of bugs and better designed overall. While I LOVE detail and absurd depth, DF transformed into a feature creep that horribly damaged the game and its potential more than it helped it. The sprawl is literally incoherent, and this direction isn't going to help fulfilling the vision, it only chases catastrophic utopias.
How do you know what the vision is?  Thats not up to you or any other donator to decide.  Also I disagree that Toady is chasing "catastrophic utopias", things have to fall into place bit by bit.

PLEASE stop going into years of rewrites that break the game even more, and spend the next couple of years to actually make a GOOD game. Almost polished I'd say. There's stuff needed that could be done in days if not hours, and that would improve the experience immensely.

The UI needs cleaning. It needed cleaning EIGHT YEARS AGO. It needs cleaning more than it needs EVERY other new feature. Modders need better support instead of wasting so much time trying to hack into memory. DF needs, right now, focus on usability more than it needs to model the dwarfs individual fingers or arm hair.

I'm reading that in this new version the game now randomly generates metals. Fine. Are they mechanically different? This is the question. If they aren't, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.
Again how do you know what's wrong or right?  Toady isn't making this game for you, or what you find enjoyable, he's making it for himself.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 07:16:50 pm »

It's an exaggeration.

The point is: stone colors is the most significant thing you have on screen at all times. Yet it's completely irrelevant gameplay-wise. So there's a huge disconnect between utility and presentation.
Color... completely irrelevant gameplay-wise
This line of thinking is so fucked up I can't even begin to start....

Do you think stones must be color-coded for our convenience?

Like red stones are bad, yellow are objectively better in every way and so on????

Are you really a DF player?????????????????
._.

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 07:17:32 pm »

Things aren't as bad as you describe; DFHack can do pretty amazing things these days. And the community is pretty strong, developing all kinds of third party tools to increase your DF experience I'm sure we'll have a 3D overlay renderer before the version 1 comes out.

Yes, my point is that Toady should work more with them instead of against them. This stuff has to make into the game, not hacked into it.

Toady needs to work on methods to give stuff like Dwarf Therapist access to data, not hack into that.
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 07:17:48 pm »

Make branches. Cataclysm is an example of a game that got out of his original dev hands and HUGELY IMPROVED because of it.
Yeah no. DDA also KILLED the main branch almost entirely, and DDA isn't really that much of an improvement (The core problems persist, DDA just has more of what you'd call filler). When you consider that DF will likely be many times harder to code for than Cataclysm ever was, you've got a recipe for disaster. Open Source can be good, but it's not the answer to all problems, and I highly doubt it would help DF much in the long run.

Ultimately though, this is an exercise in futility, since it's likely that nothing said here will ever influence development.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 07:18:22 pm »

I have a VERY unpopular opinion:
I think we'd all like to see more frequent updates and polish,

I don't. Not at the expense of the living world, that is. There are many games where people can dick around with things in peace. Toady is trying to take computerized roleplaying somewhere it hasn't been before, and that's more important than some forumite's (all forumites) made-to-measure happy gratis fun time.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:22:26 pm by Mopsy »

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 07:18:24 pm »

Things aren't as bad as you describe; DFHack can do pretty amazing things these days. And the community is pretty strong, developing all kinds of third party tools to increase your DF experience I'm sure we'll have a 3D overlay renderer before the version 1 comes out.

Granted, the vanilla game will be eternally broken and filled with "placeholders" for features planned 5-10 years later, but the community will be able to fill these gaps itself.

Well you can now play in stonesense, so isometric 3D gameplay is a thing already. And iso3d does work for z heights just fine.  Granted it took the modding community to come up with it, but still.

Honestly what toady needs to do is sit down with the modding community, (and community as a whole for input) as to what mods should be adapted into the core game.  I mean look at masterwork's popularity for example.  I'm sure a lot of people would like features found in it.  Or my work on Orichalcum, (bugtesting for new release in progress)  where I have materials and other objects which fit into the timeline and are distinct, as well as giving use to items already present.  Anyhow.
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 07:18:37 pm »

That's extremely debatable.  In any case Toady isn't going to open source DF so there's no point in discussing it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22