Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]

Author Topic: Toady, a little rant on modern Dwarf Fortress  (Read 47794 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Toady, a little rant on modern Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #315 on: July 10, 2014, 11:27:02 am »

I think there won't be such big breaks inbetween releases, because the current release had the biggest and most complicated feature implemented. From now on it should take less time.
._.

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2014, 12:42:10 pm »

But after two years having trees that drop inedible and unusable fruit is a bit of a disappointment still.

Ah yes, this is an excellent example of what I mean.

Not about the disappointment, but the fact that even the fruit is now another incomplete, non-predictable system that you'll have to look up on the wiki to figure out why the fruit can't be eaten.

Hence my legitimate request: please take a break now, because we left SO MANY systems behind that are in a similar state, as well the game would immensely improve with even a little bit of Quality of Life types of improvements.

As other have said Toady has a tendency to address show stoppers after release, but then everything else is mostly "fine". Sure, the game needs moving toward its goals, but the risks of not reaching them are even higher if a little love isn't given to all the parts.

The "push and pull" is the perfect image. You need to balance how much new stuff you put in, as well how you reign everything under control. Can't just push, and can't just pull.
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2014, 12:54:12 pm »

Okay
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2014, 01:04:46 pm »

Not about the disappointment, but the fact that even the fruit is now another incomplete, non-predictable system that you'll have to look up on the wiki to figure out why the fruit can't be eaten.
This version is not fully tested.
If you want a more stable experience, please use an older version.
I think we're done here.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2014, 01:26:55 pm »

It was inevitable.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 10, 2014, 01:33:18 pm »

The ruffling of feathers: Inevitable.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 10, 2014, 02:17:39 pm »

Ignore everything he says just to create meaningless strawmans and bullshit arguments to support a premise with literally no foundation other than things that have been pulled out from under over and over and over again. No, do go on speaking of these "SO MANY systems" not being well-done, despite not being able to describe a single one that hasn't been acknowledged, planned, or actually expected to be done differently by Toady later on when things like making cave-ins more of a thing is more of a priority.

Other people here have mentioned more specific things.

The purpose of this thread wasn't in-depth analysis, but to describe the overall trajectory of the game across many years. Hence, examples are examples, the point is that I'm not alone thinking the game seriously need a much bigger focus on the half-broken stuff than what Toady has demonstrated to give in the latest years.
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2014, 02:21:17 pm »

No, no. Ignore the fact that he stated that the feature wasn't finished because he wanted to push out this update in order to prevent a hype-bubble from exploding.
To be fair, popping a hype bubble by releasing non-existent (yet) features doesn't really seem any better than popping a hype bubble by taking too long. So I wouldn't really tout it as "the only PR decision that made any sense" or whatever.

But on the other hand, who gives a crap if fruit is edible now or a week from now. It's a trivially academic curiosity of Toady decisions at best. Worth pondering for maybe 30 seconds.

Even if he took 2 years and you aren't sure what he was doing all that time, if he then follows that up with 1 month of furious feature-heavy programming and finishes all his loose ends, then the result for the player is the same -- XYZ many features. After 2ish years ... + 1 month. The distribution of exactly when features were completed within that total time seems fairly irrelevant to us.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 10, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »

Summary, in my opinion: You had one or two good points, and then you drowned them in a sea of silly trivial distractions of the other 27 ridiculous points.

Fortunately Toady seems like a super calm, zen guy, who is able to cut through bullshit pretty efficiently, and I'm sure he already made up his mind about whether any of the halfway reasonable ideas resonated with him, or not. And the thread has served it's purpose. Probably quite early on.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 10, 2014, 02:34:49 pm »

I still think the OP should make his streamlined version of DF with the best features.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 10, 2014, 04:06:45 pm »

Why expend effort fixing a non-gamebreaking bug in a section of code that you know is going to be refactored at some point in the future?
If that "point in the future" is five+ years or something like that, then yes, there is good reason to expend effort [1].
If that bug influences other things and interacts with them in unpredictable ways then yes, there is good reason to expend effort [2].
If that bug will be covered by another layer of newer bugs as Toady further tinkers with this section of code then yes, there is good reason to expend effort [3].

[1] It simply pays off.
[2] It makes developing/modifying/refactoring OTHER sections of code harder, as they have to deal with cranky behaviour of section that is supposed to be refactored five years in future, not now.
[3] It makes harder to develop further game in general and prolongs disproportionally future debugging effort.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 10, 2014, 05:14:41 pm »

Seeing as I was ignored and people are making better points than I could.

Let me grab some of that.

*munches on popcorn*
Oh good, more people joining me.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 10, 2014, 05:44:51 pm »

I'm tired of this thread.
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

Aninimouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 10, 2014, 05:46:10 pm »

I'm pretty surprised by how far it's come.
He'd killed a man before one time, with his bare hands, and he could do it again, if he put something in his bare hands like a knife or a gun or something that he could kill somebody with.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #329 on: July 10, 2014, 05:51:57 pm »

Well, this is kind of broken down now I guess, in terms of the exchange of ideas and so on.  Reportey too.  Feel free to continue threads of the discussion in new threads if you can keep it together.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]