Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Anyone having world corruption issues?  (Read 5331 times)

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone having world corruption issues?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 03:23:32 am »

Yeah, reclaimed a worldgen fort right off the bat, and that's the only thing I've done in the world.

I'm poking around at the seemingly fine autosave that happened very shortly before the bugged save I uploaded to see if I can make it happen again.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 03:27:16 am »

I guess it would help to upload that one as well -- if it is actually alive, we'd have a pretty narrow corridor to explore for the corruption.  It's also interesting that it can happen on the very first play without having to have a retired/abandoned fort first.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 03:31:40 am »

Sure thing, here ya go: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8830

I'm trying to remember what exactly it was that I was doing last night after this save and before the other -- it definitely wasn't a whole lot, since my dwarves are all keeping themselves busy. Retracing steps...

Wait a minute! Looking at the position of the dwarf on his way to the dining room with a chair suggests he only moved a whopping 20 or so steps between the seasonal save and the manual one.  ???
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:34:33 am by thewonderidiot »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2014, 03:40:38 am »

Yeah, this one's alive!  Even without the debug logs, you can tell in the progress bars if it lingers a little bit after loading the creatures, when it is finalizing all the random stuff.  I'll see if I can break it quick, then I should probably sleep for a few.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2014, 03:54:54 am »

Fascinating! I wonder what the hell I did... I really should be getting to bed too, but when I get home from work tomorrow I'll do a meticulous comparison between the jobs and whatnot of the two saves to see if I can back anything out. Unfortunately, it looks like the camera position in both of the saves is what my F2 hotkey zooms to, so it's possible that I spent some time moving the camera around messing with stuff between them.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 03:57:16 am »

I hit it with a bunch of the post-wg stuff, several years worth of birth/death/marriage and all that, and it is still kicking.  So I am kinda leaning toward some specific fort mode action, though it could be anything, especially if somebody shows up with a never-fort adv save with the same problem. (bed for me)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 04:49:27 am »

I think I tracked down the cause. Using a fresh install of DF I went through and made small changes to various settings and compared embarks between copies of the same world. In the exact same location in the exact same world following the same initial steps to start a fort I got one save to crash and the other to not. The only difference between these saves is that for one I had INITIAL_SAVE in d_init.txt set to YES. This one became corrupted after digging a 2x2 tunnel down into the earth about 10 layers and cutting down 4 trees, then saving and reloading. After reloading the game would play for about 10 seconds then crash.

I followed the same procedures on the other save and did not get a crash and was able to continue mining rooms without any issues. I haven't tested extensively beyond this but this sounds like a good place to start in tracking down the exact cause of the crash.

Edit: If anyone wants to try to confirm this while Toady's asleep I'm sure he would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:51:38 am by Lemunde »

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 05:07:34 am »

EDIT: Confirming Lemunde's theory. I was also able to get a crash by setting INITIAL_SAVE to YES. I dug a bit and cut down some trees, saved, reloaded, and crashed after a few seconds.

I'll try playing through a season with seasonal autosaves on and initial save off and see if the same thing happens.

Update: Game has now crashed while loading a save once I quit and re-loaded in fall. The only things I did were make a cave for my dwarves, cut down some trees for hatch covers, and lock them in with food and drink. I then butchered a horse and dog while inside, and let the game run, saving and re-loading each season after the auto-saves.

My first game had no auto-saving and no initial save, and it lasted a little over a year. Initial save/autosaves seem to cut that time down considerably, but I still did have the "unable to load world" bug with no auto-saves and no initial save, so I'm still not sure saving is the entire issue.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:14:18 am by Gilihad »
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jarathor's Art Blog
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 08:20:41 am »

If INITIAL_SAVE is making it worse somehow, then that helps explain why all of my forts die to a crash bug of one type or another; turning it on was one of the first things I did after downloading the new version. I'll go back and play with and without it on the same world and see if I can bring back some more evidence.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 09:22:53 am »

Been playing for some time now and I haven't encountered any crashes since turning off all of the autosaves. I even copied the save,retired the fort and started an adventure mode game and everything ran fine. Well, until the bogeymen got me.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 10:01:50 am »

For what it's worth, I've never had INITIAL_SAVE turned on, so it's not just that. If I had to guess based on all of this, maybe it's doing a manual save after any autosave has occurred (without otherwise exiting the game)? Seems weird to me since the autosaves themselves are typically alive for me, but it does seem to fit the patterns. Also would explain why we haven't been able to break my seasonal save when my manual save was made so shortly after it. Anybody want to try to confirm that by playing a new fort until the first seasonal save (without INITIAL_SAVE turned on), then manually saving right after it, and comparing stability of the two saves?  :P
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:03:52 am by thewonderidiot »

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 10:25:41 am »

For what it's worth, I've never had INITIAL_SAVE turned on, so it's not just that. If I had to guess based on all of this, maybe it's doing a manual save after any autosave has occurred (without otherwise exiting the game)? Seems weird to me since the autosaves themselves are typically alive for me, but it does seem to fit the patterns. Also would explain why we haven't been able to break my seasonal save when my manual save was made so shortly after it. Anybody want to try to confirm that by playing a new fort until the first seasonal save (without INITIAL_SAVE turned on), then manually saving right after it, and comparing stability of the two saves?  :P

That was what I did. The first save right after the start of summer, I manual saved and re-loaded, with no problem. The second save right after the start of fall, I manual saved and tried to re-load, but couldn't. I... forgot to copy the first fall season save, so I'll repeat it this time and copy each save out of the folder, but I'll be sleeping soon (it's night here), so if anyone else wants to do it, feel free.
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 10:34:00 am »

I hit it with a bunch of the post-wg stuff, several years worth of birth/death/marriage and all that, and it is still kicking.  So I am kinda leaning toward some specific fort mode action, though it could be anything, especially if somebody shows up with a never-fort adv save with the same problem. (bed for me)
I have got a pretty consistent reproduction of this crash that may shed some light, as it seems to be the same type of crash causing the problems.

Create a dead world(no dwarves, humans, elves or goblins)
-create a human outsider adv, which should spawn outside a necro tower
-get adventurers killed by zombies by tower.
-once you get to 3 dead adventurers, once you try to create the fourth one the game should crash once you create the fourth(the calendar will advance just fine).

So its not just isolated to fort mode, it seems once you get past 3 saves the game wont load a new adv in that place.  I also had it happen while retiring a fort in the world and trying to create an dwarf adventurer in the same fort, which leads me to believe the bugs are linked.

Link to save:http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8836

rhobot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 10:36:06 am »

There has been at least one bug report so far in adventure mode that requires a manual save to duplicate (for whatever reason). So I will add support to the saving being a problem theory.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2014, 10:46:25 am »

That's what I did. The first save right after the start of summer, I manual saved and re-loaded, with no problem. The second save right after the start of fall, I manual saved and tried to re-load, but couldn't. I... forgot to copy the first fall season save, so I'll repeat it this time and copy each save out of the folder, but I'll be sleeping soon (it's night here), so if anyone else wants to do it, feel free.

I think that's consistent with what I've been seeing. I'd guess that that first manual save had the problem, but wasn't exhibiting it during load.

So I refined my theory a bit on the drive to work, although it doesn't quite account for the adventurer stuff. Here goes: I think that perhaps the save function (for interactions?) might be destructive. So the first time you save during a session, the save produced will be okay, but leave your interactions in-game in an altered state. The second time the save function gets called, it might get confused by this altered state and mess up. This would be consistent with autosaves exacerbating the problem, since they're the only way during fort mode to save multiple times without quitting.

Not sure about the adventurer mode stuff. Hmmmmm.

EDIT: Just went to the bug tracker page and it looks like Lemunde beat me to it. Hopefully this is the problem!  :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:50:17 am by thewonderidiot »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4