Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The fall and rise of Esteemeddye - 0.40 reclaim fortress tour  (Read 1126 times)

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So 0.40 is out, hooray! Raise a pot of apple cider in celebration (seeing as apples are a thing now). Now I've been massively curious about the new sites, and since I mostly play Fort Mode I figured the best way to explore one was to reclaim it. Let me show you what I found...

First, a history lesson...

Can I just say, I LOVE the fact that you can now start with a fort with a storied and bloody history of its own!

Esteemeddye had a rough time of it back in the Age of Myth. Founded in 11 by the Ferocious Cloister, conflict beset the dwarves there almost immediately. Their parent civilization, the Dye of Owning, inhabited a densely settled strip of land between the Luxurious Axe Mountains and the Insightful Sea -- a temperate-to-chilly land of forests and grassland, swamps and rolling hills, until they vanished in the north under the perpetual snows of the Responsible Blizzard. Hemmed in by these geographic barriers, elves, dwarves, and goblins all crowded close, elbow to beard. West of the mountains lay a similar land filled to brimming with warlike humans and elves.

Today, tens of thousands of humans and goblins exist in fragile equilibrium. It is said that hundreds of elves still lurk in wild forest retreats, although most of the tame retreats under human administration host less than a dozen each. Few dwarves now inhabit the area.

Spoiler: Region map (click to show/hide)

In the early years of the world, war raged continually, and perhaps it was no great surprise to see death come swiftly to a promising new fort.

The war would far outlast Esteemeddye, as it turns out. In the year 66, the monstrous scorpion Storur returned to Esteemeddye. After killing the two dwarves living there at the time, it decided to settle and call those dark and bloodstained halls its home forevermore. To this day it lurks somewhere in the depths. We know it lives there still, for over a century later it killed a dwarf who ventured into the ruins.

Of course, all of this would be a no-more-remarkable-than-usual dive into the legends except that this is 0.40 -- this fortress exists as an actual, realized site, and dwarves can really go there. Let's go!

Next up ... what the dwarves found.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fall and rise of Esteemeddye - 0.40 reclaim fortress tour
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 02:09:33 pm »

Nearly two centuries passed. In the year 250, an expedition calling itself The Cavernous Canyons arrived at Esteemeddye. The seven dwarves claim to hail from The Dye of Owning, but anyone who remembers that name probably associates it with decades of ambitious hill-dwelling humans who were routinely slaughtered by the armies of the turtle fiend Ushmal Phantompukes.The fact that it had originally been a mighty dwarven civilization has receded into the age of myth. History provides no way to prove this, but I like to think that these seven are descendants of those dwarves, who have been living as outcasts scattered across human and goblin settlements.

They easily found the ruins. Indeed, the dwarves of old built their fortress entrances to stand out from the landscape, presumably to encourage trade with the surface peoples. Indeed, what else could this have been but a bazaar, considering the only entrance is 3 Urist wide, just wide enough for a wagon caravan? Most likely, then, this great warehouse is The Bulbous Straw, the great market that history says the dwarves established here all the way back in 11.

Spoiler: Surface level (click to show/hide)

Oh yes, please don't mind the mess. The expedition dwarves, in their eagerness to recolonize their old realm, didn't bother sending back maps until autumn, by which time they had already set up shop on the surface. Since a legendary monster supposedly lives here, you can't really blame them for wanting to train for a bit before venturing into the long-silent halls in the depths. On the plus side, for the first time in almost 200 years, the trade depot is again accepting merchants!

So imagine the pristine ruin, a vast boxy construction two stories tall and quite some walk across, all built of polished gabbro. It was quite empty when they arrived, the only features inside being the pillars in the center, surrounding an unadorned ramp that plunges steeply into the earth. You'll also have to imagine the exterior somewhat less colorful. Those splotches are fruit, quite unusable for now, dropped by the many trees.

That ramp spirals around a straight shaft, boring deep into the earth. One who lost their footing here might die of boredom before exploding messily into gore on the bottom. Down, down, down it goes, mostly through alternating layers of granite and microcline. Mostly the stone is roughly hewn, but in places it has been polished to a fine sheen.

When they first arrived the dwarves simply built a hatch over the ramps. But come autumn they ventured down at last and finally set eyes on the primordial dwarven architecture of Esteemeddye.

Spoiler: Main fortress levels (click to show/hide)

At the level of the first cavern, natural stone is filled in with constructed walls until, at last, the ramp intersects a broad tunnel bored through the caves. They say it leads to another old fortress, long since conquered. Just below, a single narrow passage and a hatch control access to the bulk of the fortress. The blood is recent, left by a cave croc that had parked itself on the hatch cover.

Truly, the design is quite curious to the eye of a modern fortress overseer. The passages are narrow and twisty, designed without any apparent thought to how far dwarves must walk in going about their tasks. After being pillaged dozens of times, there's no telling which rooms were originally stockpiles and which were legendary dining halls. The output and wealth of Esteemeddye must have been enormous, though, judging by the sheer number of forges. Also, all those yellow veins running through the fortress? Native gold. If that multitude of little square rooms represents the old living quarters, they lived in opulence indeed!

Next up, we explore deeper, and take a closer look at some curious aspects of ancient dwarven construction.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:15:29 pm by Maolagin »

Dark_Toker

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Semi Functioning Elf Hater
    • View Profile
Re: The fall and rise of Esteemeddye - 0.40 reclaim fortress tour
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 06:22:34 pm »

Nice a guided tour can we get some unlucky fried kitten at the concessions yeah? ;)
I shall sit back and enjoy.

DT
Seven years now and I can almost play this fucking game