Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: They say a demon plots for the King's death  (Read 9058 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: They say a demon plots for the King's death
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 10:40:05 pm »

Also, attacks directed towards you are the only ones that are bright red.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
Re: They say a demon plots for the King's death
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 10:41:11 pm »

Not to diminish your story or anything, it's very nicely written, but the screenshot the story is based on is definitely not from Dwarf Fortress.

Here are some problems with it:
  • You can't ask for rumors. You can ask about trouble, and you can tell rumors, but to my knowledge it's not possible to ask for rumors.
  • Sigur isn't a dwarven name. And I don't think that demons are sloppy enough to disguise themselves with a non-dwarven name, that would be a bit obvious.
  • The demon grabs the king, but the combat report doesn't say which bodypart the demon used to grab the head.
  • Grabbing doesn't do damage. Squeezing would be the right action, which you can do after you grab people, but just grabbing isn't enough.
  • Combat reports don't say "pulping it". They say "exploding into gore" or "collapsing into gore" or something similar which describes the action of pulping the body part, but they never use the word "pulping". I might be wrong about this one, Toady might have put that word in there for some very specific action, but I'm fairly sure that he didn't.
  • Adventurers don't say "I must leave." They say "Goodbye."

Not to mention that the combat logs are center-aligned while dialogue is left-aligned, so it wouldn't show up like this at all.
I thought they show up together and both left-aligned in the (a)nnouncements log or somewhere like that?

Although there's more than enough other evidence in there to indicate that the whole thing is fake, if even a couple of the assertions is true about how the game says things instead of this (off the top of my head, I'd say "which body part was used for the attack" very obviously is). Which is a pity, because I thought I had figured out what happened on the underlying level -- demon impersonates royal personage, impersonation participates in spreading rumours even about the demon and its actions, and impersonation isn't clever enough to go away when the demon acts in plain sight.

I suppose if any such thing happened in actual DF(7+7)/DFIWI the conversation would go more like:
"A moment ago I killed the king."
"It is terrifying."
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.
Pages: 1 [2]