Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 'Bandits' Wont Do Squat [.40]  (Read 7902 times)

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
'Bandits' Wont Do Squat [.40]
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:11:33 pm »

I was 'given' a task to exterminate a camp of kobolds. I expected a lot of weak, but overwhelming foes. I go in with 2 swordmen as my companions. I find that the kobolds wont attack me! Oh well, I guess I have to start the fight. I got up, start bragging about me slaying a Roc, and slash a kobolds neck infront of his friends. They start running, not even the swordmasters would fight. The occasional punch, but no overwhelming. This happened another time with a camp of not-goblin humans. I asked the commander to promote me, he denied.

What's up with these so called bandits that don't attack you? Hopefully the new updates will make the plot-making and chatting less convoluted. 
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.
Re: 'Bandits' Wont Do Squat [.40]
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:28:01 pm »

They attack me just fine, so long as they are actually opposed to my civ and aren't weaklings.

Weak enemies tend to run away a lot and take up a "submissive posture" when I'm around. But every now and then you get some bad ass who thinks he can take me on while naked and carrying nothing but a silver pike.

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:49:20 pm »

They attack me just fine, so long as they are actually opposed to my civ and aren't weaklings.

Weak enemies tend to run away a lot and take up a "submissive posture" when I'm around. But every now and then you get some bad ass who thinks he can take me on while naked and carrying nothing but a silver pike.

It's like you have some god-version
Sig

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:54:59 pm »

Yeah I'm having trouble finding stuff to kill too.
And while I can initiate a brawl by starting to kill a bunch of bandits - my companions certainly aren't doing anything but scream in terror at all the vicious things I do to the poor, poor things.

as are the other bandits that didn't decide to teach me a lesson

it's silly

ARMOK is was not pleased today

oh_no

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 12:03:57 am »

Morality and fear need to be tweaked. Weaker for people with real combat skill, or something like that. Farmers should be terrified of blood flying, not trained soldiers.
Sig

Half-assassin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 12:11:05 am »

Yeah I agree, no matter how funny it is to see my max rank epic marksdwarf scream "The horror!" as I kill someone who had previously killed 40 people, it's kind of annoying.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 12:23:32 am »

Bandits were kind of meh in the last version too. When my adventurers got notorious enough, they just stopped attacking me. Those bandits were just adoring fans, these guys are total pussies. Then again, so is most everyone else, including our avatars.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 02:49:57 am »

I am having similar problems too.

Almost everyone is super friendly. Even many of the ambushes I have run into are friendly.

I even ran into a bunch of undead in a tower that were totally indifferent to my existance. (The necromancer was a bit... "tougher", instead of ignoring me he ran away.)

Many Goblins in fortresses are "agressive" (not all, some are friendly), but they all seem to just run away screaming. (I haven't tested this very much though, just one fortress in one world).

I should experement and find what the difference is between being an outsider or starting as part of a civ.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 03:21:48 am »

I had to chase down a hydra repeatedly due to how scared it was of me.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 04:08:20 am »

I modded in a bronze a colossus and everyone even the elves just up and punch my shins.
I guess the Ai are more humane, also some of the bandits are armies for local nations waiting out for orders and not local thuggery which would be more friendly than other bands of men.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 04:42:41 am »

Well necromancers are also surprisingly friendly, even if your companions might not agree for once.

And as for soldiers waiting for orders, well.. AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO WITNESSES IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

oh_no

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 05:42:38 am »

Well necromancers are also surprisingly friendly, even if your companions might not agree for once.

And as for soldiers waiting for orders, well.. AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO WITNESSES IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.
necromancers where friendly in the past version as well it's their undead minions that gone on the attack.
Which I guess usually sparks the whole infighting now there's roaming bands of migrants... one poor soul walks in to check up on a friend and gets killed. which causes a necromancer to strike out at the undead who then rallies a bunch of his reanimated buddies to attack.
"body swapping and YOU!"

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 06:33:37 am »

It might take some adjustment, but we've become accustomed to camps full of berserkers who instantly swarm any foreigner on sight.  It's more realistic that most people should respond to a sword wielding madman by fleeing rather than fighting.  Especially if they're half your height.

That said, you shouldn't be able to just walk into a bandit camp like you own the place.  There should be some trained guards that will attack if you get too close to the leader if they think you might be dangerous.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 07:22:29 am »

That said, you shouldn't be able to just walk into a bandit camp like you own the place.  There should be some trained guards that will attack if you get too close to the leader if they think you might be dangerous.
I also think ranged weapon users in particular should be much more inclined to attack instead of running from a perceived threat than say somebody that would have to physically engage the enemy. Just like in real life, a punk with a gun is a lot braver than a guy with a knife. You would expect that the moment somebody drew a sword on the boss that every crossbowman in the bandit camp would put a bolt into the guy.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 07:42:51 am »

I also think ranged weapon users in particular should be much more inclined to attack instead of running from a perceived threat than say somebody that would have to physically engage the enemy. Just like in real life, a punk with a gun is a lot braver than a guy with a knife. You would expect that the moment somebody drew a sword on the boss that every crossbowman in the bandit camp would put a bolt into the guy.
then you get to the point where folks complain about crossbowmen instakilling their characters when they enter camps. camps kinda turn from the mob pit for adventurers to run in and kill and now became factions,
besides screw fighting the living fight the unliving. kinda wonder if adventurers are raiding picnics and boy/girlscout camp sites?
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: [1] 2