Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 'Bandits' Wont Do Squat [.40]  (Read 7903 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Bandits' Wont Do Squat [.40]
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 07:45:19 am »

then you get to the point where folks complain about crossbowmen instakilling their characters when they enter camps. camps kinda turn from the mob pit for adventurers to run in and kill and now became factions,
besides screw fighting the living fight the unliving. kinda wonder if adventurers are raiding picnics and boy/girlscout camp sites?

How great would it be if the locals were just tricking you into murdering campers?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 07:52:34 am »

this entire thread seems like what champions of Khorne would complain about.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 08:56:28 am »

Morality and fear need to be tweaked. Weaker for people with real combat skill, or something like that. Farmers should be terrified of blood flying, not trained soldiers.

Isn't that what the discipline skill does?

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 09:04:04 am »

Yes, we are all too used to bloodthirsty berserkers with an unquenchable hunger for your mushed brains.
But that doesn't mean that a group of cocky bandits shouldn't try to mug some lonely adventurer.

oh_no

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 09:20:56 am »

Yes, we are all too used to bloodthirsty berserkers with an unquenchable hunger for your mushed brains.
But that doesn't mean that a group of cocky bandits shouldn't try to mug some lonely adventurer.
uhh won't that mean they walk to you than you walking into their safe haven like your batman with a kill rule.
given that there's now more than 1 wandering adventurer being a bandit is a horrible life threatening experience that they better off doing petty crimes and hoping the town doesn't send in the murderparty after them.
also bandit's are small time when we have the ability to take out and over kingdoms now.

edit: uhh found something better than living bandits... unliving bandits
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:06:26 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 10:18:12 am »

Morality and fear need to be tweaked. Weaker for people with real combat skill, or something like that. Farmers should be terrified of blood flying, not trained soldiers.
I agree. I think that the best way to do this is to have fear scale with combat skill; the higher your highest combat skill, the less scared something should be.

That said, there's also a problem with monsters not hating you to the point of combat (but hating you to the point of telling you and spitting) and the insane number of "wrestlers" at bandit camps, who, from what I can tell, are actually unarmed "civilians" with no combat skill whatsoever.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 11:45:31 am »

I'm guessing most of these so-called 'bandits' are really just refugees of another name. Hence, the floods wrestlers.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 01:21:50 pm »

I have seen the in-town bandits harassing and robbing village folk so they certainly can be aggressive. Of course I was also able to pretty easily take on three such bandits as a Peasant adventurer - killed two of them and the third one ran away. After I killed those two, some of their bandit colleagues chased me around for awhile and I ran off since I was getting peppered with arrows from a bowman.
  The next day the bandit gang seemed to have forgotten about me even though I had been bragging to everyone in the village about how I killed two of them :) My guess is that most of the bandits are just basically armed peasants, they must not be very skilled or especially strong. They are not beserker warriors the way they used to be. I haven't attacked their actual camp yet so I'm not sure if the bandits at the camp will be stronger.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 01:57:46 pm »

That said, you shouldn't be able to just walk into a bandit camp like you own the place.  There should be some trained guards that will attack if you get too close to the leader if they think you might be dangerous.
I also think ranged weapon users in particular should be much more inclined to attack instead of running from a perceived threat than say somebody that would have to physically engage the enemy. Just like in real life, a punk with a gun is a lot braver than a guy with a knife. You would expect that the moment somebody drew a sword on the boss that every crossbowman in the bandit camp would put a bolt into the guy.
then you get to the point where folks complain about crossbowmen instakilling their characters when they enter camps. camps kinda turn from the mob pit for adventurers to run in and kill and now became factions,
besides screw fighting the living fight the unliving. kinda wonder if adventurers are raiding picnics and boy/girlscout camp sites?

Well until there are witnessess/survivors of the attacks, we may never know.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 08:40:26 pm »

Something is seriously wrong with aggression at the moment.

This is not supposed to happen.

oh_no

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 09:11:57 pm »

I have seen the in-town bandits harassing and robbing village folk so they certainly can be aggressive. Of course I was also able to pretty easily take on three such bandits as a Peasant adventurer - killed two of them and the third one ran away. After I killed those two, some of their bandit colleagues chased me around for awhile and I ran off since I was getting peppered with arrows from a bowman.
  The next day the bandit gang seemed to have forgotten about me even though I had been bragging to everyone in the village about how I killed two of them :) My guess is that most of the bandits are just basically armed peasants, they must not be very skilled or especially strong. They are not beserker warriors the way they used to be. I haven't attacked their actual camp yet so I'm not sure if the bandits at the camp will be stronger.

Must have been one shitty bowman.
I've slaughtered an entire human town's guard in their keep, unscratched, up until the point i waltz unto a room with a single bowman and a single hammerman.
I entered the room, was hit, and passed out. I don't need to continue.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think your mistaken, there's nothing wrong with that screenshot
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:19:58 pm by RealFear »
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 11:35:35 pm »

I'm not sure if you're just fucking around but as far as I know then bogeymen are supposed to always try to murder your face.
Which is exactly what this one bogeyman wasn't trying to do for whatever reason.

oh_no

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 02:16:02 am »

I believe you.

I have noticed that people will tell me "A marauding warband is threatening our people.  They have a camp called..." and yet HATE/spit at me for killing them.

You: Hello Sut.  Long live the cause!
Sut Uraaguv, lady: Hello.  It is good to see you.  Let's not hurt anybody.  Don't travel alone at night, or the bogeyman will get you.
You: Not a half hour ago I slew Zolak Crueldied.
The lady spits!
You jump away from The flying Sut Diebored's human spit!
Sut Uraaguv, lady: That is terrible.
You: I am your loyal hearthperson.  What do you command?
Sut Uraaguv, lady: You may enjoy these times of peace, but remain vigilant.
The lady spits!
You jump away from The flying Sut Diebored's human spit!
Sut Uraaguv, lady: Murderer!

I guess:
1. Nobody ever attacks you, because the game considers that a crime, regardless of hostility/war/civilization
2. Corollary: If you kill anyone, no matter how evil and hated, it makes you an evil murderer in the eyes of your civilization/friends/companions/lord.

Has anyone already reported this bug?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 02:30:06 am »

That said, you shouldn't be able to just walk into a bandit camp like you own the place.  There should be some trained guards that will attack if you get too close to the leader if they think you might be dangerous.
I also think ranged weapon users in particular should be much more inclined to attack instead of running from a perceived threat than say somebody that would have to physically engage the enemy. Just like in real life, a punk with a gun is a lot braver than a guy with a knife. You would expect that the moment somebody drew a sword on the boss that every crossbowman in the bandit camp would put a bolt into the guy.

This probably won't be so much of a problem now that the interactions have become more complex.
You walk up to the edge of a bandit camp full of crossbowmen, but you make sure to have your sword sheathed so they don't attack you immediately.
They examine you and decide they'd rather not risk trying to mug you.  They call out to you and ask why you're here.
You say you don't want any trouble and ask if they need any favors.
You run errands for them until they trust you.  Then you plot a coup against their lazy good-for-nothing leader.

Or you can just rush in with your sword swinging against the insta-killing crossbowmen like old times.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 07:03:38 am »

Well considering that any kind of bone hit (and they are shockingly frequent when using (cross)bows) results in an instant loss of consciousness due to pain this version and that (cross)bows are faster to fire now, calling them anything but insta-killing crossbowmen would be an understatement.
Because all they need is to shoot you in the knee once before your ass is grass.
and it doesn't help that the utterly armor-piercing behavior of said launchers hasn't been fixed either

oh_no
Pages: 1 [2]