Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Brewing Bug] Is my brewing broken? (Can't brew)  (Read 21899 times)

Obibun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Brewing Bug] Is my brewing broken? (Can't brew)
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:52:04 pm »

Hello all,

I am playing the new version and have an issue with brewing.

I have a still built, have a dwarf with the brewing ability set, and even have separate stockpiles (empty barrels, plump helmets) beside the still which belong/feed into it.

I cannot for some reason select any of the brewing tasks -- they are all "redded" out. Additionally, my status --> kitchen menu has a column for "cook" but not one for "brew". All I see is lines of "-------" with no heading, and pressing 'b' to toggle brew has no apparent effect

What am I doing wrong here? Is this a bug? This is the second fortress I've encountered this
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:57:29 pm by Obibun »

Obibun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Brewing Bug] Is my brewing broken? (Can't brew)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:37:14 am »

I have even tried doing the command through the manager. I am told:

so and so cancels Brew drink from plant: Needs unrotten DRINK_MAT-producing plants.

Why is it giving me this error? I have cave wheat and plump helmets aplenty, in non-restricted stockpiles both away from and right beside the still

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 12:58:46 am »

Looks like your plants aren't marked as brewable, which explains both the lack of "brew" in the kitchen menu as well as the job cancellation. Something weird that happened to them during world gen, maybe?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:54:36 am »

I suspect you broke your installation by cramming a v.34 graphics set into it. Graphics sets change the raws and are not compatible between versions; if you use them for the wrong version, you're quite likely to break parts of the game.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:02:27 am by Larix »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:32:18 am »

Yes, I concur.  In every instance of this bug I have seen reported, there has been a tileset installed.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

wlievens

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 03:41:44 pm »

I have this issue, and I don't have a tileset. I've never installed a tileset in my life. This is a pristine install, all I've done is some tweaks in the ini file (FPS meter on, sound off).

My fortresses keep dying off because of lack of booze. Any help? Should I just start over with the world?

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 03:42:34 pm »

Wait, let's be a little careful with our terms here; do you have a graphics set installed, Obibun, or is that just a custom tileset? Switching tilesets, after all, involves only changing a line in the init files and definitely shouldn't affect actual gameplay. I don't recognize immediately what you're using, so it could be one or the other. I switched to a square tileset and have been having some small brewing issues (possibly related to the old container issues that were in 0.34, where everything in a barrel gets tied up at once) but have been able in the end to brew most things without trouble (I've had quinoa beer, for instance).

FutureSailor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 08:45:32 pm »

UPDATE: I installed the updated phoebus in a vanilla df, I'm now successfully brewing blood amaranth and rice. I can't grow pig tails though.

I'm not very tolerant of the default ascii graphics, for whatever reason, so the first thing I tried doing was jamming in the obsidian graphics set. I unzipped the file, and copied data/art/*, data/init/colors.txt, and raw/graphics/* into the corresponding df_linux directories. I changed the init files myself and didn't copy the raw/objects because I knew that would definitely mess things up.

I'm able to brew the old plants, and I'm able to make bags out of hemp and grow more hemp, but I can't figure out how to process grapes and raspberries. I've tried process plants, process to bag and barrel, milling, and brewing, but the jobs get cancelled.

Do you think the tileset broke it? [Edit: ignore this, there's already updated versions in the tileset board, sorry] If so, how can I get decent graphics in 2014 without breaking something? It's perfectly fine if there aren't sprites for the new objects, as long as I don't have to examine things every five seconds to tell if it's a mule or a monkey.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:51:15 am by FutureSailor »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 02:10:54 am »

I haven't installed tiles/graphics sets, but from what the wiki says (and from what i've seen in community games) _tile_sets should only change the representations while running off the same symbols underneath, while _graphics_ sets (Phoebus and the like) switch game raws in their normal install routine and can break functionality. The wiki even warns of compatibility issues when using them.

If i interpret the screenshot correctly, the original poster has "plump helmet" in the kitchen list, but no "cook/brew" options. That suggests something in the kitchen/brew code was messed up, and raw changes (as done in many graphics installs) are a good candidate. Another good way to screw up the raws would be to unpack the new version on top of the old.

Tilesets should work fine(ish) as long as they really only put new files in /data/art and switch the GRAPHICS settings in init.txt.

Brewing of the new plants doesn't work too smoothly yet; as long as the old plants (and _some_ of the new) work, you're getting normal performance.

RagingDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • "Sire."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 07:47:53 pm »

Wanted to give this thread a little bump as I too am experiencing the 'no brew option' bug. :-\ You guys must be right on the graphics, because I'm using Ironhand on a newly updated .40.

That really sucks as I've been playing for a few hours on my newest fortress. Are there any helpful update guides out there for all of these recent versions? I thought it would be as simple as drag/dropping the .40 folder over the previous install and using Lazy Newb Pack, but this has caused problems with other utilities and graphics packs.

Is downloading the newer Starter Pack the best option for running an updated fortress? I love the LNP but this has obviously broken my game. Thanks in advance.

Edit - Just found Ironhands updates for .40, simple copy pasta, so that's great for Ironhand users lol. Hopefully the brewing bug will be gone! Good luck yo.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:59:43 pm by RagingDragon »

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 01:50:49 am »

Is downloading the newer Starter Pack the best option for running an updated fortress? I love the LNP but this has obviously broken my game. Thanks in advance.

The newest Starter Pack by PeridexisErrant is an updated Lazy Newb Pack. If you've been using the old LNP for DF2012, then yes, it's most likely borked for DF2014.

Also, I've recently heard that some plants from embark have a small bug where they can not be cooked/brewed until dumped from their bags and reclaimed. Why they start in bags and not in barrels like other foods.. no clue. But this might be contributing to some related issues?

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 02:07:14 am »

I had a similar problem with Soapmaking and Ashery.

I produced Ash to make Lye.
The "lye making" job was a never ending spam of "Need lye-containing item".
When I received lye from the Dwarves caravan I tried to make soap and I still was not able.

De-constructed both workshops, re-constructed them and everything worked.

I suggest you try removing the Still and re-create it.
It worked for me, could work for you too.

Blingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 04:27:46 pm »

I'm also having a similar problem. df_40_06_win raw (no tile sets) and Dwarf therapist 23.4.

Wasn't able to start brewing with a small number of Plump helmets. All brewing options are red as shown in a previous post.
So I bought a load from the trading caravan (35). The options went green but when I started the brewing I got shortly after (5 min):
"Farmer cancels brew drink from plant: Needs unrotten DRINK_MAT-producing plants."

I still have 30 Plump helmets. Did manage to get some drinks brewed but I can't start the process again. I'm a noob here so could be something else.

I tried recreating the still as suggested but it didn't seem to help.

MystRunner

• Bay Watcher
  • Idiots Roam Free! Beware all ye who enter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 09:05:25 pm »

I had this same problem earlier. As stated before looks like you put DF2012 graphics set onto your game and that's what I did. I just downloaded a brand new copy of DF2014 and then used the Mayday tileset (It's the only DF2014 set i've found). That will fix your problem. Brewing does work in game.
I don't know what is more impressive, that dwarves can skip salting and curing meat opting for zombiefication, or that the dark art of necromancy has been twisted to the cause of curing meats.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature Simulator.

TurkishCapybara

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 10:53:48 am »

I'm having this problem, but it seems to be caused by a burrow.

When the still is placed inside a burrow by itself (Or,atleast, everything except for the food stockpile), the options for "Brew Drink from Plant" and "Brew Drink from Fruit" are redded out. I haven't done anything except define the burrow's shape.

When the Food Stockpile is added to the burrow, the options become available.

When the burrow doesn't contain the still, only contains the food stockpile, or doesn't exist, the options are available.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:56:09 am by TurkishCapybara »
Pages: [1] 2