Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434645 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:18:13 am »

Well, it looks like it's time for a new Q&A thread for a new major build!

Thanks Toady!
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

dashadowlord

• Bay Watcher
  • this games out to get me
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:23:49 am »

lol why is the giant running away and yelling for help?
If life were like DF, Toady's strange mood would have produced an Artifact Game of Awesome that menaces with spikes of code ten years ago.  
But it is not.
Instead, what we have is a single obsessive mason trying to carve Mt. Rushmore.

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:45:35 am »

How do I claim a site for my own? No matter what I do, I just keep saying "I've forgotten my bold pronouncement...".

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:10:42 am »

Do you have to be right next to goblins in order to get babysnatchers, the diplomacy map only shows goblins if i'm 2 squares from a goblin fort.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 01:40:21 pm »

I've received the message "No outpost liaison? How curious..." two years in a row instead of a liaison. I'm playing on a small world, but I don't think my dwarven civilization is extinct (I've received immigrants as normal). Is it now possible for liaisons to be waylaid prior to arrival on the map?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 01:49:34 pm »

What does that new demon feature look like on the world map? Trying to generate a world with one, bit I don't know what it looks like exactly. Using Maydays tileset.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 02:12:22 pm »

I've received the message "No outpost liaison? How curious..." two years in a row instead of a liaison. I'm playing on a small world, but I don't think my dwarven civilization is extinct (I've received immigrants as normal). Is it now possible for liaisons to be waylaid prior to arrival on the map?
Haven't experienced that yet, but it should be possible now that the outpost liaison gets ambushed on the road or something. However the game should appoint a new one then...

What does that new demon feature look like on the world map? Trying to generate a world with one, bit I don't know what it looks like exactly. Using Maydays tileset.
If you're referring to Vaults, these seem to be located under the main Dark Fortress of the goblin civ, so they don't show up on the world map. At least from what I have seen so far.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 02:24:01 pm »

How do I claim a site for my own? No matter what I do, I just keep saying "I've forgotten my bold pronouncement...".
As far as I can tell you just need to tell someone that you're claiming the site and then go murder the current leader. I've never gotten that message.

I got that with a dead dwarven civilization, and then one of the first caravan merchants was made Diplomat and subsequently Baron. It's possible that your civilization was overrun while you were playing, but then that should have interfered with migrants and caused some of your dwarves to be appointed as nobles. Check the (c)ivilization screen to see if there are any nobles left in the mountainhomes.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 03:44:39 pm »

How the heck do I yield? I tried to start a barfight in a drink mound, but then when I grabbed someones hat and threw it, they all went lethal, but then I managed to get them down to no quarter, kept trying to yield but ended up getting beaten up to death.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 03:56:57 pm »

^ lol.

How the heck do I yield? I tried to start a barfight in a drink mound, but then when I grabbed someones hat and threw it, they all went lethal, but then I managed to work them up to no quarter, kept trying to yield but ended up getting beaten up to death.

FTFY. No Quarter means they will behave exactly as they did and ignore yielding and kill you.

Edit: the lol isn't meant to be insulting. Just appreciating the humor in a face palm moment which I hope you will as well.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:58:52 pm by sal880612m »
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 04:07:42 pm »

^ lol.

How the heck do I yield? I tried to start a barfight in a drink mound, but then when I grabbed someones hat and threw it, they all went lethal, but then I managed to work them up to no quarter, kept trying to yield but ended up getting beaten up to death.

FTFY. No Quarter means they will behave exactly as they did and ignore yielding and kill you.

Edit: the lol isn't meant to be insulting. Just appreciating the humor in a face palm moment which I hope you will as well.

Yeah it was a facepalm moment and I was like 'oh crap' when they went to lethal.

Fobeeyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 05:04:26 pm »

What are all of these new metals, like flickering metal, singing metal, clear blue metal, and frosty metal. What exactly are these metals? I found them in the arena object list while looking for adamantine and messing around

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 05:29:06 pm »

Does mining 1 tree root causes the tree to collapse? I've got a couple of notices of something has collapse, but never really bothered to look at the trees, I'm usually mining near where I'm cutting trees down.

On an unrelated note how far can something jump.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:31:42 pm by locustgate »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 06:15:51 pm »

On an unrelated note how far can something jump.
2 tiles from standing

up to 5 tiles from running (sprint) start
._.

backstab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 06:37:09 pm »

Anyone know how to turn off Aquifers ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 268