Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blood on floor of diningroom  (Read 1431 times)

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blood on floor of diningroom
« on: April 28, 2020, 06:37:51 am »

A dwarf with the cleaning labor enabled will clean terrain, but there is no (known) negative effect.. i read this

Remarkable that the dorfs are not frightened by seeing of blood spattering on the floor ?

Side note: At the moment is total chaos in the fortress  , everwhere dead bodies and bodyparts, bones .. a lot miasma  ( only i can do is dumping this on a carbage pile) 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:33:23 am by janamdo »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood on floor of diningroom
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 01:36:59 pm »

Cleaning has a very low priority, and almost never gets done. You can remove blood and other contaminants by placing something on it, like a bed.

As for your miasma problems, make sure you enable hauling refuse outside in the options.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 05:47:00 pm »

Cleaning has a very low priority, and almost never gets done. You can remove blood and other contaminants by placing something on it, like a bed.

As for your miasma problems, make sure you enable hauling refuse outside in the options.
Clearing inside has had a high priority since a few releases ago.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 03:44:08 am »

Clearing inside has had a high priority since a few releases ago.
Indeed. The priority for cleaning, before this change, used to be the underground tiles. So all 3 caverns together with Fun! got cleaned and polished shiny by Dwarves instead of Dwarven housing on surface, which was a true filth dump of blood, wine, vomit and water pools. :D This was quite hilarious and also annoying at the same time. It drove me crazy for many years. In the end Toady took pity over my Dwarves' plight, it seemed like, and fixed it. :D
Thanks Toady, again, if you ever read this! :)

@janamdo, make refuse above-ground or have entrance to the under-ground refuse through set of 2 doors. A little like an airlock.
Code: [Select]
WWWW
+OOR
WWWW

W-wall
O-door
R-refuse tile
+-smoothed/constructed tile
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:48:57 am by Sarmatian123 »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 09:17:41 am »

Unless things have changed, you should also be able to contain the miasma in underground refuse stockpiles by using diagonal gaps.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 10:00:13 am »

Thanks
Cleaning the floor was a little bit too much micromanagement then  ;)
Yes, diagonal gaps i used earlier, but then got a idea from someone here of a door using: 

A airlock  to prevent miasma smell into the fortress, but the small corridor must be also ventilated? , well a small amount miasma will rise up to the ceiling above the dorf then.   

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:07:29 pm by janamdo »

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 04:45:20 am »

Closing door cleans trapped in door air. I guess you had so many dwarves passing, the doors never got chance closing and let miasma out. Add more doors? Make airlock longer like this maybe:
Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWWWWW
+OOOOOOOOOOR
WWWWWWWWWWWW
It seems your refuse is a very busy stockpile :P 10 doors should fix the miasma though.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 08:43:32 am »

It was a enormous corpses piles and get no chance for burial with coffins and it piles up the remanins , but a airlock needs fresh air so, there is channel needed to the surface of the fortress for fresh air.
Perhaps a windmill above ground  for suction ( if posssible ?), otherwise using a natural suction ( therefore wind strenght is needed)( i never looked  at the wind in DF if it was blowing outside the fortress )
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:29:57 am by janamdo »

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 09:02:06 am »

It was a enormous corpses piles and get no chance for burial with coffins and it sums up the remanins , but a airlock needs fresh air so, there is channel needed to the surface of the fortress for fresh air.
Perhaps a windmill above grouns  for suction ( if posssible ?), otherwise using a natural suction ( therefore wind strenght is needed)( i never looked  at the wind in DF if it was blowing outside the fortress )

Not windmill, but bridge. So long you do channel a hole down to the airlock, then the airlock tile will be marked "above ground - outside". However if you put bridge over the hole on surface, then you cover this channeled gap, which is leading into your fortress. The airlock tile should turn then to "above ground - inside". So long it is "above ground" no miasma can appear on it. Problem solved through ventilation shaft. :)