Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 441359 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1020 on: December 16, 2014, 06:00:16 am »

Any way not to get a dwarven caravan (or any other caravan) in fortress mode? (No, humans or elves in the world is the easy part, but how to avoid dwarven caravans.)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: December 16, 2014, 08:20:27 am »

Are there any real physical benefits of weredwarfism? I mean aside from the regenarating limbs and all - are they actually stronger in combat when transformed?

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: December 16, 2014, 08:23:42 am »

Are there any real physical benefits of weredwarfism? I mean aside from the regenarating limbs and all - are they actually stronger in combat when transformed?

Depends on type, but generally yeah....though if you can't control them when they are in their wereform.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: December 16, 2014, 08:24:02 am »

Any way not to get a dwarven caravan (or any other caravan) in fortress mode? (No, humans or elves in the world is the easy part, but how to avoid dwarven caravans.)

I believe playing as a dead civilization will do this, but so far as I know no other way will.  Embarking on islands or using DFHack to embark on tops of mountains and so on won't prevent it so far as I know.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: December 16, 2014, 11:46:10 am »

How do you generate a world with liquid arctic oceans, they always seem to be frozen. Meaning 2 things either DF water has higher freezing point or the oceans contain less salt than rivers.
They can be liquid.  Especially away from shore.  I dont know what or why, just that if breathing isnt an issue you can swim under the ice.

Make you map inaccessible to wagons and/or dont build a Depot.  Self-imposed challenge.

^^
Dead civs will sporadically throw in procedurally genned trader at you, whose bodyguards tend to join your fort next wave.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1025 on: December 16, 2014, 11:54:34 am »

The transformation lasts two days so isn't really useful for much. Also being unarmoured during the transformation would make them more vulnerable than a fully-steeled Dwarf, and a naked Dwarf at the end of a transformation is certainly more vulnerable than both.

Regenerating limbs is the reason to purposely infect a Dwarf. I've had were-dwarves run out into necromancer sieges, kill the necromancer at the cost of limbs here and there as they are surrounded by corpses. Then of course one month later they're back to full health once again.

Oh, they'll also never have to sleep, eat or drink ever again. But unlike vampires, they still feel regular hunger and drink and so can benefit from the happy thoughts generated by good food and drink, or can endure a Fort with no drink or food at all with no consequence.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: December 16, 2014, 11:56:58 am »

if the were dwarf is your last remaining dwarf, the fort falls when he transforms
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: December 16, 2014, 12:00:03 pm »

...well there goes my contingency plan I suppose. You sure? I have an infected dwarf training endlessly at the bottom of a pit for this purpose

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: December 16, 2014, 12:01:04 pm »

So can you not butcher dead animals, I've tried to butcher recently starved/killed weasels, cows, horses, dogs, and yaks, but I've always gotten a error that there isn't an unrotten carcase nearby.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1029 on: December 16, 2014, 12:02:51 pm »

if the were dwarf is your last remaining dwarf, the fort falls when he transforms
No it doesn't, if the were-dwarf is the last dwarf standing the Fort will stand for as long as your were-dwarf remains sane and alive just as it would for any other dwarf. You can have a fort that's 100% were-dwarves for this reason.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: December 16, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »

So can you not butcher dead animals, I've tried to butcher recently starved/killed weasels, cows, horses, dogs, and yaks, but I've always gotten a error that there isn't an unrotten carcase nearby.

I believe only animals that are slaughtered directly in the butcher's shop or killed by a hunter or soldier can be butchered.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ajonos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: December 16, 2014, 12:20:30 pm »

How big a space would I need to carve out underground to make an underground tree farm? 2 z-levels high? 4? 6? This is my first time wanting to make a tree farm since the trees have become multiple z-levels tall, so I'm not quite sure how this will work.

(I do understand that I'll be waiting a long time before I get any return on this investment.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1032 on: December 16, 2014, 12:27:26 pm »

I believe only animals that are slaughtered directly in the butcher's shop or killed by a hunter or soldier can be butchered.
Make a refuse stockpile, butchers only use corpses brought in by hunters/animals or those in refuse stockpiles.

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: December 16, 2014, 12:59:14 pm »

How big a space would I need to carve out underground to make an underground tree farm? 2 z-levels high? 4? 6? This is my first time wanting to make a tree farm since the trees have become multiple z-levels tall, so I'm not quite sure how this will work.

(I do understand that I'll be waiting a long time before I get any return on this investment.)

Saplings need at least 2 z-levels to grow into trees. Higher ceilings will allow them to grow taller. However, in my experience tower-caps only give 1 log no matter how big they are, and I don't think I've gotten more than a couple logs from even the largest fungiwood, so making a taller cavern probably won't get you any more wood.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: December 16, 2014, 01:16:39 pm »

dead animals:

You can. (Although it may be a bit more glitchy than auto-assigned domestics or game and depend more on proper corpse stockpile settings and ???.)

Later: Silly me, that was already answered.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 268