Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435709 times)

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1080 on: December 23, 2014, 07:44:03 am »

I was looking through the legends to explain a few strange figures from dwarf mode:
- Olm man vampire leading Humans (peace)
- Goblin leading Dwarves (peace)
- Elf & Goblin leading Goblins (war)
- No elves nearby left
- Some human Favane getting 99% of all engravings

Looking in the records of the Dwarven settlement nearby, which housed the last Dwarven citizens (around 400-500 they went missing).
It makes no notion of actual wars/fights with goblins, but from one year to another only Goblins started to assume positions.
There were quite a lot of abductions, which also explained the Elf at the Goblins. (didn't research that further, but I expect the Elves to be obliterated around my area)

Is it possible for the Dwarves and Goblins to just intermingle, having the Dwarves die of old age?
The Goblin liaison of the Dwarves is from year 0 and the last Dwarven baron died of old age around 436 (world is at 1050)

The Humans seemed to be led by different animal species, also being vampires at around their 60th. Before the olm man vampire there was a cave fish woman vampire, who defeated a regular Human vampire to get there.

Maybe I am missing important legends information.. I did get normal migrant waves with 2 vampires total (208 population now - 30-40 normal births)
Perhaps they are all from nearby groups?  (The Favane guy also came from a "Group of Beasts")

If it is relevant, I am near/at the arctic.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 24, 2014, 05:37:50 am »

Regarding armor sizes, would it be possible for a werebeast to wear large armor (ie from humans) since most of them outgrow their dwarf armor size when transforming?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 24, 2014, 05:42:51 pm »

Sadly werebeasts are not fortress citizens when transformed and don't wear any armor when transformed as that would require using a military outfit.
In a time before time, I had a name.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 24, 2014, 06:40:27 pm »

So can you not butcher dead animals, I've tried to butcher recently starved/killed weasels, cows, horses, dogs, and yaks, but I've always gotten a error that there isn't an unrotten carcase nearby.

I know this is a late reply, and I know this question comes up all the freakin' time, but I was disappointed not to see a correct answer to this iteration of it.

There are two different jobs that can take place in a Butcher Shop: butchering and slaughtering.

Butchering is when you take an animal corpse and chop it into meat and bones and skin and stuff.  Butchering takes a while.  You can only butcher a corpse if all of the following are true:
  • The animal was wild (the corpse must not say "Stray").
  • The animal was not sentient (no butchering elves or goblins or humans).
  • The animal was large enough (I don't know the exact cut-off point).

Butchering does not require a refuse stockpile.  The previous answer stating that corpses must be brought to a refuse stockpile before they can be butchered was wrong.  The only thing that matters is proximity.  Dump (and reclaim) the corpse near the Butcher Shop, or build a new Butcher Shop near the corpse.

Slaughtering is when you take a live animal to the Butcher Shop and chop it into meat and bones and skin and stuff.  Slaughtering is instantaneous.  You can only slaughter an animal that is not wild (doesn't have to be all the way domesticated -- any partial taming is enough).

If a non-wild animal dies of starvation, injury, old age, or any other cause that wasn't slaughtering, you can't butcher it.  Ever.  It's just a useless hunk of waste material.  You can atom-smash it, or dump it in magma.  That's it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 25, 2014, 12:04:31 pm »

When you gen a world, is it normal for the map to "bounce" slightly onscreen at the beginning and end of the history part of worldgen?  (i.e. the time between year 0 and the year you stop) 

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 25, 2014, 12:07:48 pm »

My maps tend to pull southeast :P  Is it accompanied by actual issues?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 25, 2014, 12:34:46 pm »

As far as I can tell, no.

faloxx

• Bay Watcher
  • Petting a dragon is not a good idea, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: December 29, 2014, 02:30:55 pm »

So in 40.19 I tried going to a fort I had created myself (and retired afterwards) with my character in adventure mode, but everytime I come near the boundaries of my fort the game just crashes. I tried fast travelling and just plain walking there but it crashes anyway. Is this a bug or would there be something else wrong?

Edit: Well nevermind this question. After loading up a backup I made in fortress mode and retiring the fort again, the game no longer crashes when I neared the fort. So it was indeed a bug.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:20:26 pm by faloxx »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 31, 2014, 04:13:17 am »

Alright how about this - are GCS'es tameable? Apparently I've read many accounts of players with tame GCS'es, but the wiki page notes it as "Not trainable".

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 31, 2014, 09:14:17 am »

Alright how about this - are GCS'es tameable? Apparently I've read many accounts of players with tame GCS'es, but the wiki page notes it as "Not trainable".
Tameable but not trainable. That is, you can't have hunting/war GCSs.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 31, 2014, 09:40:23 am »

Ah. Understood.

This is gonna be so awesome (Unless said GCS reverts into a wild state midway in my dining hall).

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 31, 2014, 09:19:01 pm »

Ah. Understood.

This is gonna be so awesome (Especially if said GCS reverts into a wild state midway in my dining hall).

Fixed that for you.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: January 01, 2015, 12:58:58 am »

Ah. Understood.

This is gonna be so awesome (Especially when said GCS reverts into a wild state midway in my dining hall).

Fixed that for you.
FTFFY
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: January 01, 2015, 09:53:12 am »

Question about wild animal populations.

If I have a pack of animals enter the map, mill around for however long, then leave the map, will that count against the allotted population number, meaning I have x fewer animals in my local population?  As an example, say I had 42 giant parakeets on my map.  If seven flocks of six came onto the map, one flock at a time, then all left without a single one getting killed or trapped, would that count as extinction, meaning no more giant parakeets, or would they eventually come back or regenerate?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: January 01, 2015, 10:02:12 am »

killing them reduces their regional numbers.  idk about taming one or two.  them leaving does not
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 268