Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431356 times)

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 07:57:40 pm »

What's the difference between "plants" and "garden vegetables"?
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 08:05:36 pm »

Does mining 1 tree root causes the tree to collapse? I've got a couple of notices of something has collapse, but never really bothered to look at the trees, I'm usually mining near where I'm cutting trees down.

On an unrelated note how far can something jump.

Mining a root tile will make the whole tree disappear, yes.  I don't know if it counts as a collapse like that, or if it gives you any wood, but it does vanish.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 08:14:30 pm »

Not sure if this is a feature or a bug:

I'm already lord of a group that rules a town. When I try to claim another site, it doesn't let me claim it as my previous group, but forces me to name a new one, thus making me become lord of multiple groups. Anyone know if this is intended behavior, or should i report it?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 05:09:00 am »

I've received the message "No outpost liaison? How curious..." two years in a row instead of a liaison. I'm playing on a small world, but I don't think my dwarven civilization is extinct (I've received immigrants as normal). Is it now possible for liaisons to be waylaid prior to arrival on the map?

Last version, you started getting immigrants no matter what, even in no dwarf worlds.  I don't think it was ever fixed.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 09:01:23 am »

How do I claim a site for my own? No matter what I do, I just keep saying "I've forgotten my bold pronouncement...".
As far as I can tell you just need to tell someone that you're claiming the site and then go murder the current leader. I've never gotten that message.

I've received the message "No outpost liaison? How curious..." two years in a row instead of a liaison. I'm playing on a small world, but I don't think my dwarven civilization is extinct (I've received immigrants as normal). Is it now possible for liaisons to be waylaid prior to arrival on the map?
I got that with a dead dwarven civilization, and then one of the first caravan merchants was made Diplomat and subsequently Baron. It's possible that your civilization was overrun while you were playing, but then that should have interfered with migrants and caused some of your dwarves to be appointed as nobles. Check the (c)ivilization screen to see if there are any nobles left in the mountainhomes.

It could be that your dwarf civilization has no capital, or that your fortress has become the capital.  In either case, I believe you can't get the diplomat (nobody to negotiate with).

Last version, you started getting immigrants no matter what, even in no dwarf worlds.  I don't think it was ever fixed.

And there is that...

Does mining 1 tree root causes the tree to collapse? I've got a couple of notices of something has collapse, but never really bothered to look at the trees, I'm usually mining near where I'm cutting trees down.

On an unrelated note how far can something jump.

Mining a root tile will make the whole tree disappear, yes.  I don't know if it counts as a collapse like that, or if it gives you any wood, but it does vanish.

Eh, I get warnings about stuff collapsing all the time while chopping down trees.  Nobody ever got hurt, so I'm not worrying about it.  Although, it might be more FUN when I've got more than 14 people in my fort...

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 11:06:39 am »

I got that with a dead dwarven civilization, and then one of the first caravan merchants was made Diplomat and subsequently Baron. It's possible that your civilization was overrun while you were playing, but then that should have interfered with migrants and caused some of your dwarves to be appointed as nobles. Check the (c)ivilization screen to see if there are any nobles left in the mountainhomes.

My civilization has a king, two baronesses, and a general (all "/Merchant"s).

I thought that was only the first two hard-coded waves. My fortress has made it up to 50 (twice now, thanks to a mid-winter crash the first time).

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 11:36:41 am »

I thought that was only the first two hard-coded waves. My fortress has made it up to 50 (twice now, thanks to a mid-winter crash the first time).

That was two major versions ago.  Last version, I created a no dwarf world.  I actually checked through all of the legends and there were zero living dwarves.  I saved the world in another folder, then I created my fortress, and about ten immigrant waves later, up to around 100 dwarves, the fort went belly-up due to something or another, and I looked back in legends.  Every dwarf in my fort had been created from scratch.  I tried a couple more times, same result.  I put it over on the bug tracker and if I'm not mistaken, I was told it was not a bug.  Which irritated me.  I like no-dwarf worlds.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Nosfer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 02:09:51 pm »

Can I harvest fruits from the peach tree, for example?

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 03:31:25 pm »

Anyone know how to turn off Aquifers ?

sed -i~ -e 's/[AQUIFER]//' raw

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 03:43:16 pm »

Can I harvest fruits from the peach tree, for example?
Not in fortress mode, Toady didn't manage to finish harvesting from trees properly. It'll be added soon though.
It should be possible in Adventurer mode, if you're playing during the harvesting season of course.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 05:57:11 pm »

I think you want: sed -i~ -e 's/\[AQUIFER\]//' raw/objects/inorganic*.txt
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 06:21:43 pm »

Is it possible to melt frozen water, with/out magma?

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 12:10:36 am »

I think you want: sed -i~ -e 's/\[AQUIFER\]//' raw/objects/inorganic*.txt

Ah, yes.

FutureSailor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 07:50:21 pm »

Has anyone managed to gather grapes, cranberries, blueberries, and raspberries, and get seeds from them? What's the correct job for processing them? I'm still using 40.01, but the update only mentioned quarry bushes.

Most of the other plants are a bit finicky, but they work. I'm making turnip wine, which has got me very curious about whether dwarfs are immune to wood alcohol, if they just deal with it the way prisoners deal with pruno, or if they distill it out and then add some juice back in for flavoring after the yeast is dead.

I can finally make the (barley beer) I'm actually drinking! Well, I don't know what goes into Steel Reserve. Sweepings from a rye bread factory? I'm still waiting for my potatoes to sprout, I'm really hoping to have vodka.
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 08:30:01 pm »

Someone stated in a post elsewhere here that they were able to spit at people with their adventurer.

Is he full of shit or can you actually do that? It's not in dialogue, nor is it something you (f)ire or (t)hrow. I'm leaning towards BS.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 268