Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 436099 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1845 on: July 05, 2015, 07:54:59 pm »

How wide should my ramparts be, over my entrance, if it's 2 or 1 wide then everyone will just go outside and sit along the wall when stationed/patrolling.

The only way to get your dwarves to station/patrol where you want is to make all the other tiles in the 7x7 block around that location inaccessible. For your walls, place the fortifications one z-level above the ground, and build a single-tile walkway behind them on the inside. As long as no other tiles in the 7x7 block on that z-level are walkable your dwarves will be forced to stand on your walkway.

Question - I have built windmills linked to underground millstones but can one  be built on a dome or above ground structure?

Vertical axles will allow you to transmit power from a roof-mounted windmill down to buildings below. You will, however, still require a "hole" in your defenses to run the axle through. Note that axles use up a small amount of power; long runs may require linking multiple windmills to produce sufficient power.

I'm using DTherapist and I noticed several of my animals are listed as (gender) Asexual....does that mean they won't reproduce?

Yes.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: July 05, 2015, 08:16:38 pm »

Question - I have built windmills linked to underground millstones but can one  be built on a dome or above ground structure?

Vertical axles will allow you to transmit power from a roof-mounted windmill down to buildings below. You will, however, still require a "hole" in your defenses to run the axle through.

Not if you observe correct build order - mill first, axle/gearbox second. The first example here works through unbroken floor and is current for 0.40.24.

This way, the only exposed bit of machinery is the windmill, there's no opening into the fort that flying/climbing enemies could exploit. The windmill must be fully supported by solid floor, i.e. you need an unbroken 3x3 platform.
Btw, it works through both natural and constructed floors.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:29:21 am by Larix »

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: July 06, 2015, 04:11:53 am »

Does weapon quality now affect weapon damage? The wiki claims that it does now.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: July 06, 2015, 04:14:57 am »

no

i cannot find where it says that

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: July 06, 2015, 04:30:38 am »

...I may be really literal here but can you elaborate on where exactly it says that weapon quality affects weapon damage

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: July 06, 2015, 08:06:29 am »

1. Go to section labled "Quality Grades"
2. Look at the chart there.
3. Look where it says sharpness in bold, then 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%, 100%, varies, going down.
4. That is it.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: July 06, 2015, 10:49:58 am »

Is there any way to remove those tree sapplings without the aid of DF Hack?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: July 06, 2015, 04:01:15 pm »

1. Go to section labled "Quality Grades"
2. Look at the chart there.
3. Look where it says sharpness in bold, then 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%, 100%, varies, going down.
4. That is it.

Oh, that

sharpness doesn't exactly mean damage (in fact, AFAIK an iron sword's sharpness only matters against bronze and iron armor).

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: July 06, 2015, 06:20:38 pm »

You can build a dirt road 1x1 on it, it'll also remove the grass.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: July 06, 2015, 06:25:49 pm »

You can build a dirt road over them, that's fast(ish) and takes no resources. (It ~will~ wear out eventually, so a permanent road is longer-lasting, but slower and takes resources.)

Or, if they are anywhere near where your dwarves walk (inside your wall perimeter, perhaps), you could designate a high-traffic zone over them { d, o, h}, so any dwarf that walks near them will detour (slightly) to walk ON them  - that tramples them to death pretty quick.

If inside and away from traffic, for instance where water is/has run, you'll have to build something, either floor or road.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: July 06, 2015, 09:24:52 pm »

You can build a dirt road over them, that's fast(ish) and takes no resources. (It ~will~ wear out eventually, so a permanent road is longer-lasting, but slower and takes resources.)

Or, if they are anywhere near where your dwarves walk (inside your wall perimeter, perhaps), you could designate a high-traffic zone over them { d, o, h}, so any dwarf that walks near them will detour (slightly) to walk ON them  - that tramples them to death pretty quick.

If inside and away from traffic, for instance where water is/has run, you'll have to build something, either floor or road.

Will i be able to desconstruct the road? I want to build an aboveground farm.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: July 07, 2015, 02:25:11 pm »

If it's a dirt road, it's just "dirt" - no problem.

If it's a constructed road, yeah, it's just like a bridge, a "floor" that is designated across a wider area and simply takes less material (1 + 1/4 tiles covered).

(You remove constructions by designating them to be removed with {d}, {n}, and dwarves w/ the de-construction labor enabled.)

Happy to help, but fyi, once you know the general answer, often the wiki can answer follow-up questions and details faster than this forum: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Road

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: July 07, 2015, 02:45:13 pm »

If it's a dirt road, it's just "dirt" - no problem.

If it's a constructed road, yeah, it's just like a bridge, a "floor" that is designated across a wider area and simply takes less material (1 + 1/4 tiles covered).

(You remove constructions by designating them to be removed with {d}, {n}, and dwarves w/ the de-construction labor enabled.)

Happy to help, but fyi, once you know the general answer, often the wiki can answer follow-up questions and details faster than this forum: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Road

Thank you a lot!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: July 08, 2015, 08:20:17 pm »

Do bridges prevent (evil) rain from falling to the ground below them?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 268