Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 436104 times)

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2100 on: September 29, 2015, 07:44:42 pm »

where can I find a summary of the next release features? Is there an open thread on this subject?

A.) http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html <-- This is where future features are, but I don't know of any threads about it.

Q.) Can I allocate any more of my computers resources to dwarf Fortress? I have a lot of unused processing power, and ram and I would like to hand most of it to my dorfs. I understand that Dwarf Fortress is single threaded, so It can never use more than one core.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 07:50:04 pm by vexxice »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: September 29, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »

your computer is using all that it can to play dwarf fortress most of the time

raising the CPU priority might help minorly

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: September 29, 2015, 09:14:22 pm »

I have a medium sized hospital set up, with individual rooms for the wounded. I just noticed that zones can only be so big. The problem is that each inividual hospital zone needs its own resources. Any tips for hospitals with individual rooms for patients?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: September 29, 2015, 09:23:49 pm »

I have a medium sized hospital set up, with individual rooms for the wounded. I just noticed that zones can only be so big. The problem is that each inividual hospital zone needs its own resources. Any tips for hospitals with individual rooms for patients?
Put one chest in each for things.  Let each hospital room carry enough crutches for each patient and maybe a bucket or 3.  Then, in some side room make a centralized stockpile for cloth and whatnots.  Experiment from there.  The stockpiles dont need to be big, just enough to keep the hospital stockerd until hauler get around to restocking the stockpile.

And for the love of Armok, put a food stockpile somewhere nearby.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: September 29, 2015, 09:30:53 pm »

Put one chest in each for things.  Let each hospital room carry enough crutches for each patient and maybe a bucket or 3.  Then, in some side room make a centralized stockpile for cloth and whatnots.  Experiment from there.  The stockpiles dont need to be big, just enough to keep the hospital stockerd until hauler get around to restocking the stockpile.

And for the love of Armok, put a food stockpile somewhere nearby.

If the cloth isn't inside the zone, will they use it?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: September 29, 2015, 11:06:59 pm »

Im not sure.  I think so.  Remmeber the work around for 34.11?  Don't ever let dwarves stock hospitals with cloth because they'll put every last thread into a chest?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: September 30, 2015, 11:10:07 am »

Im not sure.  I think so.  Remmeber the work around for 34.11?  Don't ever let dwarves stock hospitals with cloth because they'll put every last thread into a chest?

This bug has been fixed, at least in my experience. If you still start running out of thread because of the hospital, use "i+H" in its zone and reduce the amount of allocated thread.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: September 30, 2015, 11:41:12 am »

My point was that we didnt store actual cloth in the hospitalin 30.41.  You could, but I recall setting it to whole other zlevels for storage.
PKs DF Mod!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: October 02, 2015, 06:00:59 am »

I recently started playing again, it's my first time with this strange new game of multi-tile trees and discipline. Anyway, I've been wondering if one of my old tricks would work: I used to put all my civilian population (minus the miners and woodcutters, because conflicting uniform) into inactive squads wearing uniform over clothing, giving them some light shield and maybe armor (too much would slow them down) and a crossbow. They wouldn't practice or anything, but anytime they saw a hostile, they shot at it. Also, when needed I could just move close to 100 dwarves in one place, and they could mow down several squads of invaders before they got close in a hail of copper bolts.

My question is, how feasible is such a setup in the current version? If, as I suspect, Discipline would cause them to break and run the moment they spot a hostile, is there any way to train discipline for my civilians?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: October 02, 2015, 06:11:12 am »

train them properly, make them watch corpses of creatures, they get initially horrified but that helps to raise that skill

http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: October 02, 2015, 03:30:09 pm »

train them properly, make them watch corpses of creatures, they get initially horrified but that helps to raise that skill

Also, will they be good marksdwarves if their Observer skill is high from seeing my military train in my dining room?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: October 03, 2015, 01:21:16 am »

what are the most deadly enemies in dwarf fortress? i'm going on an embark for giant desert scorpions and i'd like to know if theres any other deadly creatures out there worth capturing for dwarven projects... even if they can't be tamed or bred like scorpions can.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: October 03, 2015, 01:34:33 am »

le lul.  You've jut asked a question that has a million answers.

Define what you want.  You can make anything deadly.  Cat a bunch of dogs and theyll be deadly whn you release them en masse.

Semimegabeast, megabeasts, and FBs, of course.  GCS are a pleasure.  HFS.  Anything venomous.  Vampires.  Zombies.  trolls.  magma crabs.  Everything.  Necromancers make good pets.  Giant wolverines used to be awesome.

Use your imagination and be more specific about what you want to do with the critters.  The dwarven capacity for torture in the hands of the human player is astounding.
PKs DF Mod!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: October 03, 2015, 03:11:23 am »

Werezombie blender: a relatively cheap but effective superweapon, if you can reanimate.
One wheel short of a wagon

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: October 03, 2015, 11:42:53 am »

So , yeah , im having some problems about my fortress guard , it says station(squad) for both of my soldiers.They do station.How do i solve this?
EDIT:Solved.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:58:07 am by KillerHP »
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 268