Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 436201 times)

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2145 on: October 10, 2015, 01:29:42 am »

whats the burning temp for nethercap and what the temp of fire snakes?

Fsnakes are quite a bit hotter than magma.  but my testing of regular cages on my giantized fsnakes indicated it took a period of time for them to escape.

Do vermin still escape elf cages when they arrive on site?  if so maybe this is an extension of that . . .

Having a check on the wiki, the temperature of fire snakes is 14000, whereas nether-caps have a fixed temperature of 10000.  Curiously, the fire snakes are said to burn free (as soon as they are caught), but the nether-cap trap is not damaged.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: October 10, 2015, 07:56:13 am »

Again, if I can talk out my rear a bit, I think it's because the 'burning' temperature of the cage material is checked, but the fact that nether cap stays at freezing temperature irreguardless keeps it from being harmed. Though, interesting the cage isn't burning or anything.... you might want to check that.

In terms of attracting migrants, you have the following conditions to consider (most of which you can check on the 'z' screen):
1. How much wealth is in my fort? The more wealth you have, the more popular you are.
2. How much wealth have I traded to people? How much of it have I offered? The most that goes out, the more migrants that come in.
3. How many caravans or officials have successfully left without dying to !!fun!!? Every caravan or official that leaves spreads information about your fortress. This is part of the reason why your migrant wave in your second winter (after the dwarven caravan in the autumn, one year after you arrive) is so gigantic compared to the others.
4. The first couple of migrant waves are 'hard coded' - that is, until about year two, you're going to get migrants every season. I don't know if Dwarf Fortress just makes them out of thin air or what, but even if your chosen Dwarven civilization is near-dead, you'll still get migrants.
5. The problem for many people - especially as they start getting into years 4-6 - is that there's TOO MANY MIGRANTS, and you start running into logistical issues providing for them all. That is, at least, under normal settings; many people hard-cap their population to prevent this. Personally, I deal with it by making a 'temporary' base in the dirt layers, then once I have my feet under me, start constructing and erecting an awesome fortress beneath me, with like planning and forethought and supplies and slave labor and stuff.

Also, don't forget that the more wealth you have, the more goblin (and other) attention you're going to draw. While this isn't as sure in this edition as it was back in, say, 2012, as enemies of your civ can decide to attack other cities in your civilization instead of you, this means that if you make expensive, masterwork steel armor valued in the hundreds of thousands of dwarf bucks for your military, you're probably going to need that armor sometime in the next few years.

IMO, the best way to quickly value up your fortress is to make an awesome textile industry, get yourself some decent gem cutters and setters, and start pumping out clothes. Clothier and leatherworker level up quickly, and a pig tail / above surface weavable plant farm, along with necessary dyes, is relatively easy to set up. You can also breach your first cavern for silk, though that is (of course) a riskier proposition. Once set up, you can stamp out masterwork clothes, sew images onto them (despite the name, the material for this is cloth, not thread), the cloth going INTO those clothes will be masterwork (weaver also levels up quickly), and you can also encrust them to produce multi-thousand dwarf buck clothing left and right. Don't forget about prepared food, either; as your farmer's grower skill levels up, he'll be able to plant large stacks of seeds in single tiles, resulting in larger stacks of plants, which cooks can mash together with other stuff to produce dwarven prepared food barrels worth upwards of 10K (which you can also trade under the 'barrels' section. Note that you'll want rock pots to trade to those persnickety elves). This, among many other reasons, is why you want to select 1-3 dwarves and specalize them in nothing else but planting stuff; your whole farm and soft good industry will get more efficient as a result.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: October 10, 2015, 08:53:38 am »

Sewing images onto clothing isn't worth it. You can gain more value by using that cloth to make more clothing. Not to mention, clothing eventually decays. A better way to gain value is to use the metal industry to create weapons and armor.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2148 on: October 10, 2015, 08:56:27 am »

I like engraving, myself. It's free in all but dwarf-hours, it's micro-light, you always have space, and it cheers up your dorves. And you can use it to keep slackers and the unskilled busy.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: October 10, 2015, 11:23:56 am »

im anal about who engraves.  smoothing/fortifying sure, but engravings are forever
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: October 10, 2015, 12:35:54 pm »

Agreed. There's only so many -Images of Cheese- I can stand.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2151 on: October 10, 2015, 12:50:25 pm »

That's why you start in the mines and work upward. By the time you reach your Legendaty Dining Hall, they'll be highly skilled.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: October 12, 2015, 05:18:32 am »

Can rivers dry up? I started a new fort in a warmer biome where the murky pools have nearly vanished (barring one I covered) and it almost seems like the end of the river is getting shallower...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

4maskedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ghost of Forumites Past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: October 12, 2015, 05:47:05 am »

Can rivers dry up? I started a new fort in a warmer biome where the murky pools have nearly vanished (barring one I covered) and it almost seems like the end of the river is getting shallower...
I have never seen this happen in my experience.  One end of the river on your map would be shallower as water flows off the map, but even in scorching biomes I have never seen a river dry up.
A flitting shadow, wandering the hidden paths of the forums.  Long since lost to humanity, it's path follows no discernible pattern, simply observing that which goes on around it.  If you have found it, it is already too late for you, for none may see its silent journey.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: October 12, 2015, 10:56:16 am »

No, rivers cannot dry up. Their existence is hard coded - if you had an embark with a river and maximum temperature, everything else would spontaneously combust, but the river would be fine.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2155 on: October 12, 2015, 11:34:59 am »

Have you expanded the river banks? The water only flows in so fast, and if it's being diverted to fill a reservoir levels will drop.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: October 12, 2015, 11:56:13 am »

its not uncommon for the river exits to be shallow enough for dwarves to path through, and coupled with any tinkering you do, random flow and the heat evaporating water en-route to the exit will affect the height.  But rest assured, any map edges that start with water will act like single square aquifers.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: October 12, 2015, 05:38:31 pm »

I have an animal trainer who thinks he is training an animal (there was a big confusion with burrows and the goblin siege). But the animal is not there , so his job does not complete. He is starving and dehydrated. I disabled that labor, but he did not quit the task. No one is currently occupying a burrow. Is there any way to stop him?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: October 12, 2015, 07:49:35 pm »

I'm building a magma pump stack up 76 levels to bring magma for cleansing my death pit. I want to maximize the speed at which the magma travels up, but I can't remember which way to build the pump stack to do this. Is it from the top down as I think it is, or from the bottom up?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: October 12, 2015, 08:05:13 pm »

It's been a while for me, but wiki says...
The order in which the screw pumps were constructed matters. If built from lowest to highest, they will be able to transfer liquids one z-level per tick. However, if built from highest to lowest, they will transport liquids all the way from the bottom to the top in just one tick.
It looks like building from the top-down is the way to go for single-tick teleportation.  Hope that and the rest of the information there helps.  You'll also want to watch out to make sure everything's supported; I recall that my first attempt at a top-down pump stack ended in a mass deconstruction of the entire set when the top stack was deconstructed because of a bit of an oopsie. ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 268