Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 441357 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2955 on: August 19, 2016, 03:53:35 pm »

That's straightforward :) But those things are pretty important to the survival of the fortress: farming, brewing, hauling food to the respective stockpiles, churning out rock blocks for construction, etc. For some reason, I have pretty serious problems with work managment in this fort. There's too much to do for my 180 dorfs...

It's nearly inconceivable that you have enough "important" tasks to keep 180 dwarves constantly occupied without stretching "important" to ridiculous extremes. I've built multi-year, site-wide megaprojects with less than half that population without running into work starvation. You may want to check if you have buggy jobs that tie up workers but never complete. But yes, if you give your 180 dwarves 2000 jobs to do, no matter how "important" you think they are, they can't all be done in a reasonable timeframe. In that case, limiting "important" tasks to tasks which are actually important would certainly help.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: August 19, 2016, 05:04:46 pm »

That's straightforward :) But those things are pretty important to the survival of the fortress: farming, brewing, hauling food to the respective stockpiles, churning out rock blocks for construction, etc. For some reason, I have pretty serious problems with work managment in this fort. There's too much to do for my 180 dorfs...

It's nearly inconceivable that you have enough "important" tasks to keep 180 dwarves constantly occupied without stretching "important" to ridiculous extremes. I've built multi-year, site-wide megaprojects with less than half that population without running into work starvation. You may want to check if you have buggy jobs that tie up workers but never complete. But yes, if you give your 180 dwarves 2000 jobs to do, no matter how "important" you think they are, they can't all be done in a reasonable timeframe. In that case, limiting "important" tasks to tasks which are actually important would certainly help.
Well, just "bring big rocks all the way from mines to the stockpile next to stone mason workshops" can with a long route make decent amount of dwarves quite busy, especially when no wheelbarrows are used.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: August 19, 2016, 10:50:28 pm »

I'm trying to run a generational fort, starting with 29 adults. Currently up to 33, with one baby.

My questions is what are the population/wealth requirements for FB arrival? Because it's gonna be a while before I get up to thresholds where I'm actually threatened, despite training up some pretty badass military dorfs.

I did some googling, and the FB appearance threshold is hard to find, when it comes to population. Is the following list correct?

20 to get were beast attacks
50 to get a mayor
60 to get Titan and mega beast attacks
80 to get forgotten beast attacks
80 to get goblin sieges
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: August 19, 2016, 10:56:35 pm »

Iirc, nothing is 60? (level 2 siege trigger is 50), titans/sieges are 80, werebeasts/fbs are 20. Not sure if ambushers are 20 or 50.

Even if not attacked by FB, better have seals ready for in case of animalmen or cave crocodile packs and military asleep.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: August 21, 2016, 12:44:57 pm »

I've read before that you can get forgotten beasts at any population if you breach the caverns.  I seem to recall seeing them at very low populations before, so I'm inclined to think that it's true.

That could be at a population of 20 though, since I'm sure I'd exceeded that level by then.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: August 21, 2016, 03:52:35 pm »

If I don't assign a uniform to my human mercs (except a weapon), will they just use the stuff they brought?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: August 21, 2016, 04:10:10 pm »

Well, just "bring big rocks all the way from mines to the stockpile next to stone mason workshops" can with a long route make decent amount of dwarves quite busy, especially when no wheelbarrows are used.

Yes, if you 1) create a big stockpile 2) far away from a heavy resource and 3) specifically disallow the tools which both speed up the process and limit the amount of dwarves tied up by the jobs then you can indeed grind your fortress to a halt. This is, of course, before we even consider if these jobs are important (spoiler: they're not).

If, instead, you 1) don't stockpile the stone, 2) build your mason's shop down in the mines, and 3) don't rabidly stockpile the resulting goods then most of your dwarves will remain free to handle important tasks.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: August 22, 2016, 04:46:18 pm »

I feel like I've asked this one before, but I'll ask again...

I'm getting a lot of cancellation spam from my dwarves being unable to path to things, including a random tanning job.

I bulk-forbade the entire caverns, but it's still happening. I worry that it's one of the things that's killing my framerate. Any advice?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: August 22, 2016, 08:07:35 pm »

I'm getting a lot of cancellation spam from my dwarves being unable to path to things, including a random tanning job.

I bulk-forbade the entire caverns, but it's still happening. I worry that it's one of the things that's killing my framerate. Any advice?

Check if you have trees growing through your bridges.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: August 22, 2016, 09:03:04 pm »

Check if you have trees growing through your bridges.
Resolved.

I had a lycnathrope entombed in stone, and it'd had a strange mood.

I'd read that this is a standard framerate killer, but I hadn't realized exactly how much framerate this problem kills.

Once the mood broke and it went bonkers, my framerate hopped back to a humming 40-60 from a molasses 7.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: August 23, 2016, 08:56:15 am »

I'm playing a small generational fort (migration limit of 10, max dwarves 50), but I want to make sure I don't miss out on sieges. Can goblin siege thresholds be edited without requiring a new fort?
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: August 23, 2016, 09:12:08 am »

Yes, it is one of the things that can.

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: August 24, 2016, 11:52:35 am »

Hi,

I have few questions:

[1] Missing caravans - since the start of new game there were ANY caravans visiting my fortress.

[2] A pile of vomit - about 10% or more of my map is green from vomits. Is there a way to clean it?

[3] Plenty of dogs - I had 2 dogs, now I have 72. What to do with them?

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: August 24, 2016, 12:13:13 pm »

What are the major features that have been added since the start of 2015 or so (.40.24)?
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 268