Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434314 times)

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3150 on: February 04, 2017, 07:08:46 pm »

Last night, I was pushing first season farming. Start to build two 1x3 plots, while the second is being built, assign seeds to the first, while it is being planted, assign seeds to the second, when the last tile is being planted, build two new 1x3 plots, plant first, plant second, repeat. Surface or underground depends on what seed are available to plant at that moment, so what gets brewed, basically. Once it was too late for planting, I just filled all the planned areas with farm plots, occasionally going back to assign planting with shift-enter.

In late month 3, I happened to glance at the job list, and was amazed to see dozens of "Plant Seeds" jobs. I watched her, and sure enough, right up to the last day of winter spring, my Expert Grower was happily planting seeds that would be deleted the very next day.  Here it is, 3/28, there are 18 plots with at least some green, most with all 3 green, and once the day rolls over, they will all be gone.

It's probably happened before, but never noticed it because this is the first time I've so aggressively plot-spammed, building much more than I'm going to be able to plant with just one grower.

1. I thought late planting was fixed in DF2014. An answer on about page 11 says so, but has it cropped back up?
2. If it's level-based, how good does she have to get to not make such a rookie gardener mistake? Better than Expert, obviously.
3. How do you deal with it? Forbid seeds at the end of the second month, and repeat as they roll out of the still/farmer's workshop, then release them first day of the next season? Is there anything a little less tedious? I don't really want to take her off farming, but...

[EDIT]
Oh, crap. When I said "winter", I meant "spring". Right now, it's just hard to think of January as "spring". I hope I didn't confuse anyone when I said "month 3", but then called it "winter".
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:07:38 pm by Thorfinn »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: February 04, 2017, 07:45:42 pm »

Last night, I was pushing first season farming. Start to build two 1x3 plots, while the second is being built, assign seeds to the first, while it is being planted, assign seeds to the second, when the last tile is being planted, build two new 1x3 plots, plant first, plant second, repeat. Surface or underground depends on what seed are available to plant at that moment, so what gets brewed, basically. Once it was too late for planting, I just filled all the planned areas with farm plots, occasionally going back to assign planting with shift-enter.

In late month 3, I happened to glance at the job list, and was amazed to see dozens of "Plant Seeds" jobs. I watched her, and sure enough, right up to the last day of winter, my Expert Grower was happily planting seeds that would be deleted the very next day.  Here it is, 3/28, there are 18 plots with at least some green, most with all 3 green, and once the day rolls over, they will all be gone.

It's probably happened before, but never noticed it because this is the first time I've so aggressively plot-spammed, building much more than I'm going to be able to plant with just one grower.

1. I thought late planting was fixed in DF2014. An answer on about page 11 says so, but has it cropped back up?
2. If it's level-based, how good does she have to get to not make such a rookie gardener mistake? Better than Expert, obviously.
3. How do you deal with it? Forbid seeds at the end of the second month, and repeat as they roll out of the still/farmer's workshop, then release them first day of the next season? Is there anything a little less tedious? I don't really want to take her off farming, but...
If the seeds can grow during the following season, they will still be planted. Plump helmets and dimple cups are winter crops, but they both can also grow in the spring, so they will be planted right up to the end of winter. When it is late summer and heading into autumn, then you will see the sweet pods plots go red and no planting jobs will be generated for them.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: February 04, 2017, 09:03:53 pm »

On 3/28, there were 15 plots that had 3 green tiles, 2 with two green tiles, 1 with 1 green tile. I didn't write down what they all were. Mostly plumps and prickle berries. One I know for sure was a full 1x3 of rope reeds.

[EDIT]
There almost had to be a strawberry and a blueberry, as I have no such seeds, and a barrel of each booze.
[/EDIT]

It's now 4/1. The beginning of summer save. There are 7 plots with 3 plumps, 1 plot with 3 rice, 1 plot with 3 prickles, and 1 plot with a single sweet pod. The rope reeds are just gone. I have nothing in process, and just 1 seed to plant.

As another example, I also have no rock nuts, no unprocessed quarry bushes, no bushes in the field. They, too, have not been cooked. I've verified I have no oil, and none has been used. I have a roast with 20 leaves in it, and 7 other quarry leaves remaining, so it sounds like probably 2 plantings of 3. (I embarked too fast and neglected to increase the seed count from 3 of each.) Fortunately, I just cracked the caverns and I already see 5 quarry bushes that I'm pretty sure no critters can get to.

Think I'll save this for a later time and start a new game and see if I can duplicate and document it.

[EDIT2]
Oh, I think I know what I might have done. If I was on a field and did a cursor down rather than "=" to select the next crop down, it would have instead selected the next field south and overseeded it, wouldn't it? And come the first day of summer, the existing crop would vanish to be ready for the new crop.
[/EDIT2]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:36:38 pm by Thorfinn »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: February 05, 2017, 08:53:14 pm »

One confusing thing is that you talk about planting underground and above ground crops.  Obviously these have to be done in different areas, so it's a bit hard to follow what's going on.  Also, I'm assuming "green" means planted in your tileset?  Again, it's hard to reason about it because it might mean anything.

The easiest thing to do is to press 't' and hover over your farm tiles.  This will tell you what is actually planted.  Usually, when I'm confused about where my seeds went, this is the most likely place.  Rock nuts are easy to misplace, though.  Because you have to "process to bag" to get the rock nuts from the quarry bushes -- and that's limited by bag availability, early on it is easy to find yourself with lots of quarry bushes.

Another place seeds can get wasted is if you happen to lack stockpile space for plants.  The plants will stay in the fields and eventually wither.  Check your dump to see if you have any withered plants -- although they rot away relatively quickly, so it's easy to miss them.

Finally, some seeds (notably cave wheat) are millable.  Check your stockpiles to see if you have any flour.

There have been many times where I was left scratching my head about where seeds went, but I've always found a reasonable explanation in the end.  One nice thing is that food is waaaay over the top in the current versions of DF.  It doesn't take long at all until you are trading away bags of seeds just to get rid of htem.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: February 06, 2017, 02:38:41 am »

Yes. Two separate locations. I generally channel out the surface, then floor over it for strawberries and such, then dig out an area for cavern crops right below that.

By "green" I don't mean an actual color. That would be dwarf puke. Just a way to say that something has been planted because I don't know how to enter that goofy-looking symbol kind of like an equal sign but with a thicker lower line or the double tilde, or even what either of those symbols are called. Kind of like I type "tree" rather than "O" and "floor" rather than "+", even though those symbols are easier to enter and arguably less ambiguous than using the words.

I'm almost positive that it's not a problem with what the game did with the seeds, processing or otherwise. I'm convinced I was just going too fast and not watching what I was doing. Once I had selected a plot and hit 'b' for summer planting, instead of "=" to select the second choice in the seed list, I'm pretty sure I must have pressed the down arrow on the num pad. Instead of changing that plot's assignment, I would have been changing the assignment of the plot south of it. The fields then requested the third spring planting of that crop because it would  just continue to mature in early summer. Had I gone back and set the summer crop to be a repeat of the spring crop, all would have been fine. I just hadn't realized why it started planting when there was no way it would mature before summer. (How many barrels of prickle berry booze does one really need?)

Now that I think I know what happened, it will rarely happen again, or if it does, I know how to deal with it.

That part of the UI is one of my least favorite bits of the game. Sometimes you use Tab to change the selection ('z' screen), sometimes the num pad (stocks screen), sometimes -/= (workshop 'a' screen).  And when dealing with aquifer cancellation spam, I sometimes catch myself being a little sloppy and using the wrong one. And I'm guessing I don't catch all of them.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: February 11, 2017, 08:32:07 am »

Does grass grow faster than fungus?

I caught some Dralthas.  At first I tried keeping them together but they cleared their pens of fungus way too quickly.  I split them down, then again, then again, and finally I have each one in an individual 7x7 pen and that seems to be enough that about half the pen has fungus at equilibrium.

Recently, (about a year in game) I caught some Giant Elephants.  I assumed they would eat at least as much as Dralthas so I separated them into their own pens, except in grassy pens instead of fungus.  Wanting to make more Giant Elephants (for War training, obviously) I put the three of them together in one pen.  It's been four months and they aren't overeating the grass.

I always assumed grass and fungus behaved identically, but it appears not.  Is this my imagination?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: February 11, 2017, 11:10:07 am »

The nature of fungus grass is that like other cave plants which spore by themselves without need for seeds or dropping growths, the fungus will literally grow anywhere. Aboveground grasses rely on dust to create grass (channelling & destroyed natural ramps, and mud) and adjacency with other 'dense' grass tiles to grow while underground grass does not.

Its different rules means it grows individually & aggressively.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: March 02, 2017, 03:35:51 pm »

Can someone list of differences between world gen history and post-gen history?

I know that battles and wars spike up significantly but is there anything else that changes?

EDIT: And I think I´ve chosen the wrong thread for this question, feel free to ignore me. (DF 2014 doesn´t have post world-gen history, whoops)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:47:14 pm by Sebastian2203 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: March 03, 2017, 03:18:05 pm »

EDIT: And I think I´ve chosen the wrong thread for this question, feel free to ignore me. (DF 2014 doesn´t have post world-gen history, whoops)

DF2014 is the version that introduced post worldgen history.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: March 03, 2017, 11:49:52 pm »

For my next fortress, I was thinking of building each industry 'sector' to be more independent of each other (farmers would have their own dining hall, sleeping quarters, etc). To this end, I was considering making a separate temple for each of the various dwarven deities.

However, I seem to vaguely recall reading that dedicated temples won't actually be used by dwarves for whatever reason. Is this (or was it ever) true? Or will I be alright as long as there's a temple for each of the dwarven gods my citizens worship?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: March 04, 2017, 04:34:44 pm »

For my next fortress, I was thinking of building each industry 'sector' to be more independent of each other (farmers would have their own dining hall, sleeping quarters, etc). To this end, I was considering making a separate temple for each of the various dwarven deities.

However, I seem to vaguely recall reading that dedicated temples won't actually be used by dwarves for whatever reason. Is this (or was it ever) true? Or will I be alright as long as there's a temple for each of the dwarven gods my citizens worship?

They'll be used just fine. Notable, though, is that if you have a temple dedicated to no particular deity, dwarves seem as likely to go there as to their own gods' temple. Keep that in mind when assigning room for it.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: March 04, 2017, 04:57:30 pm »

Every so often a bin or barrel or even workshop will stop being used.  Orders that require items stored within won't see them.  Orders placed at such a workshop will never be filled.  Sometimes forbidding the object and unforbidding it makes dwarves 'see' it again, but I've had to deconstruct workshops and rebuild them to make useable workshops.

Is this a known bug?  Is there something obvious going on that has a solution so I can avoid this?

64-bit 43.05 standard install.  (I added process to bag tokens to red spinach and bitter vetch, but that shouldn't affect dimple dye barrels, weapons bins, or magma forges - and I had the issue pop up occasionally before I even added those tokens).

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: March 05, 2017, 08:45:24 am »

Every so often a bin or barrel or even workshop will stop being used.  Orders that require items stored within won't see them.  Orders placed at such a workshop will never be filled.  Sometimes forbidding the object and unforbidding it makes dwarves 'see' it again, but I've had to deconstruct workshops and rebuild them to make useable workshops.

Is this a known bug?  Is there something obvious going on that has a solution so I can avoid this?

64-bit 43.05 standard install.  (I added process to bag tokens to red spinach and bitter vetch, but that shouldn't affect dimple dye barrels, weapons bins, or magma forges - and I had the issue pop up occasionally before I even added those tokens).

This sounds job related to me.  Any job assigned ties up all the objects involved, and their containers, and objects in those containers.  So, for example, if you have a loom that produced a piece of thread then a job is created to store that piece of thread in a bin in a thread stockpile.  The piece of thread, the bin it's supposed to go into, and every piece of thread in that bin are tied up until the job is completed.  For items in a workshop you can see this by looking at the workshop with [t]View items in buildings, they'll have a TSK next to them.  In general though, you can check your jobs list and see what jobs are sitting in queue without anyone working on them, and that can help determine why work isn't getting done.

I don't know what would make a workshop unusable, but I still suspect that something in the jobs list is most likely responsible - whether it's a particular job tying things up, or the order itself being very low priority.  The three examples you mention are notorious (at least to me) for container problems.  I haven't used dye in years because I don't think it's worth the hassle.  And weapons bins (including melting jobs in them) can be knocked out of service for a number of reasons - e.g. a miner or woodcutter going on or off duty, or a military dwarf taking his time upgrading to a better weapon.  Personally, I make binless stockpiles next to my forges for melting.  It takes more management but it's reliable.

I apologize for the over-explanation if you already knew all this and it isn't the problem, but I thought it would be a good reminder for anyone sharing the problem anyway.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: March 05, 2017, 05:02:01 pm »

This sounds job related to me.  Any job assigned ties up all the objects involved, and their containers, and objects in those containers.  So, for example, if you have a loom that produced a piece of thread then a job is created to store that piece of thread in a bin in a thread stockpile.  The piece of thread, the bin it's supposed to go into, and every piece of thread in that bin are tied up until the job is completed.  For items in a workshop you can see this by looking at the workshop with [t]View items in buildings, they'll have a TSK next to them.  In general though, you can check your jobs list and see what jobs are sitting in queue without anyone working on them, and that can help determine why work isn't getting done.

I don't know what would make a workshop unusable, but I still suspect that something in the jobs list is most likely responsible - whether it's a particular job tying things up, or the order itself being very low priority.  The three examples you mention are notorious (at least to me) for container problems.  I haven't used dye in years because I don't think it's worth the hassle.  And weapons bins (including melting jobs in them) can be knocked out of service for a number of reasons - e.g. a miner or woodcutter going on or off duty, or a military dwarf taking his time upgrading to a better weapon.  Personally, I make binless stockpiles next to my forges for melting.  It takes more management but it's reliable.

I apologize for the over-explanation if you already knew all this and it isn't the problem, but I thought it would be a good reminder for anyone sharing the problem anyway.

This certainly isn't the problem for the workshop issue.  Workshop is empty, tasks queued, no one takes them.  If I use the manager, that workshop isn't used.  (If its the only such workshop, it never gets done.  If other workshops can do it, only they get used).  The workshop can literally sit for *years* without the tasks getting done, no matter what the other dwarves are doing, and no matter the priority level on the jobs.  (Even using 'do now' leaves them sitting forever).  Workshops assigned to a single dwarf with this problem remain unused even while that dwarf sits around with 'no job' for months.  The only solution is deconstructing and rebuilding the workshop when it happens.  If you do that and requeue the tasks, an appropriate idle dwarf instantly gets to work.

I'll need to double check the next time the bin/barrel issue pops up, but I don't think this covers every instance.  I've had a barrel of dimple sit un-milled (and the quern displaying red for the job because there was no millable plant) despite it being mid-winter, nothing was being grown (all fields fallow), and all other plants were already variously processed.  Forbidding and unforbidding the barrel immediately made the dimple availale for milling, and didn't cause any cancellation notices.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: March 05, 2017, 09:47:42 pm »

This certainly isn't the problem for the workshop issue.  Workshop is empty, tasks queued, no one takes them.  If I use the manager, that workshop isn't used.  (If its the only such workshop, it never gets done.  If other workshops can do it, only they get used).  The workshop can literally sit for *years* without the tasks getting done, no matter what the other dwarves are doing, and no matter the priority level on the jobs.  (Even using 'do now' leaves them sitting forever).  Workshops assigned to a single dwarf with this problem remain unused even while that dwarf sits around with 'no job' for months.  The only solution is deconstructing and rebuilding the workshop when it happens.  If you do that and requeue the tasks, an appropriate idle dwarf instantly gets to work.

Workshop profiles could cause that. If you, for instance, set the "maximum skill level" below legendary and assign it to a dwarf, the dwarf will stop using the workshop once he reaches legendary skill. Similar problems occur when setting the minimum skill level then assigning an odd job that no one has the necessary skill for (e.g. metal cabinet).

Of course it could be something entirely different as well. It is rather difficult to accurately diagnose problems based on assumptions of the likely state of your game; if you want a direct answer the best bet is to post a save on DFFD so that someone can investigate the problem.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 268