Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434468 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3165 on: March 06, 2017, 02:29:35 am »

This certainly isn't the problem for the workshop issue.  Workshop is empty, tasks queued, no one takes them.  If I use the manager, that workshop isn't used.  (If its the only such workshop, it never gets done.  If other workshops can do it, only they get used).  The workshop can literally sit for *years* without the tasks getting done, no matter what the other dwarves are doing, and no matter the priority level on the jobs.  (Even using 'do now' leaves them sitting forever).  Workshops assigned to a single dwarf with this problem remain unused even while that dwarf sits around with 'no job' for months.  The only solution is deconstructing and rebuilding the workshop when it happens.  If you do that and requeue the tasks, an appropriate idle dwarf instantly gets to work.

Workshop profiles could cause that. If you, for instance, set the "maximum skill level" below legendary and assign it to a dwarf, the dwarf will stop using the workshop once he reaches legendary skill. Similar problems occur when setting the minimum skill level then assigning an odd job that no one has the necessary skill for (e.g. metal cabinet).

Of course it could be something entirely different as well. It is rather difficult to accurately diagnose problems based on assumptions of the likely state of your game; if you want a direct answer the best bet is to post a save on DFFD so that someone can investigate the problem.

Definitely not profiles, in at least one case, it was a legendary dwarf assigned to a legendary-only workshop (which she had gladly used earlier before the issue occurred).  And I tried fiddling with the lower bound permissions just in-case, to no effect.

Mostly I was trying to see if there was anything obvious I was missing, and if it was a known bug or not.  Guess I'll go report it if/when it happens again.  (Deconstructing did solve it, after all...).

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: March 06, 2017, 04:28:41 am »

[work not getting done in some shops]
Workshop profiles could cause that. If you, for instance, set the "maximum skill level" below legendary and assign it to a dwarf, the dwarf will stop using the workshop once he reaches legendary skill. Similar problems occur when setting the minimum skill level then assigning an odd job that no one has the necessary skill for (e.g. metal cabinet).

Of course it could be something entirely different as well. It is rather difficult to accurately diagnose problems based on assumptions of the likely state of your game; if you want a direct answer the best bet is to post a save on DFFD so that someone can investigate the problem.

Definitely not profiles, in at least one case, it was a legendary dwarf assigned to a legendary-only workshop (which she had gladly used earlier before the issue occurred).  And I tried fiddling with the lower bound permissions just in-case, to no effect.

Did you remove the lower bound entirely? I've only witnessed it in older versions, but there was never a fix report:

Dwarfs with "rusty" skills are considered as "dabbling" (= level zero) for the purpose of shop profiles, regardless of their actual skill rating. Furthermore, "rusty" will never display for high-level workers (generally for legendaries, but often at a few levels below as well) even when it applies.

If i want to reserve shops for my high-skilled workers, i generally use a personal, never a skill permission.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:38 am »

[work not getting done in some shops]

Did you remove the lower bound entirely? I've only witnessed it in older versions, but there was never a fix report:

Dwarfs with "rusty" skills are considered as "dabbling" (= level zero) for the purpose of shop profiles, regardless of their actual skill rating. Furthermore, "rusty" will never display for high-level workers (generally for legendaries, but often at a few levels below as well) even when it applies.

If i want to reserve shops for my high-skilled workers, i generally use a personal, never a skill permission.

They'd just been using the same shop with the same permissions less than a month previous when the issue started.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: March 06, 2017, 05:50:55 pm »

A bit of a long shot but did the workshop get, accidentally, forbidden?

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: March 07, 2017, 04:23:47 am »

Anybody have any idea what, if anything, causes "dreams of seeing the great natural places of the world" to be fulfilled?
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: March 07, 2017, 11:38:03 am »

Workshop was not forbidden o.O  (At least not until I specifically tried forbidding and unforbidding to see if that freed the workshop).

Totally unrelated question: is it possible to get the game to pause and recenter when something triggers a cage trap?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: March 08, 2017, 02:04:40 am »

Anybody have any idea what, if anything, causes "dreams of seeing the great natural places of the world" to be fulfilled?
In adventure mode it's fulfilled by finding a river, volcano, cavern, etc.

Might be the same in fort mode, just without the announcement.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: March 08, 2017, 03:48:11 am »

In adventure mode it's fulfilled by finding a river, volcano, cavern, etc.

Might be the same in fort mode, just without the announcement.

Oh, I see. I wonder if it's even possible to fulfill that in fortress mode; I know brooks don't work for that, as my fort had one and everybody passed over it, and nobody's nature-seeing dream got realized. This calls for science...
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: March 13, 2017, 10:50:07 pm »

I play Dwarf Fortress vanilla so I never look at this stuff, but here's my best guess:
Totally unrelated question: is it possible to get the game to pause and recenter when something triggers a cage trap?
Looking at this wiki page, it doesn't seem like it's possible to edit that in. Presumably the best way to be sure is to scope out the actual file and fiddle around with it.

Best of luck man. Hopefully you can find a more definitive answer for your question.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: March 14, 2017, 09:58:13 am »

Why are my dwarves designating pet coffins as the resting place of wild plump helmet men who died out in the caverns?  (And whose bodies cannot be reached).  Seriously, what?

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: March 15, 2017, 01:12:14 am »

Why are my dwarves designating pet coffins as the resting place of wild plump helmet men who died out in the caverns?  (And whose bodies cannot be reached).  Seriously, what?

That's really weird. No idea why that happens, but if it's a problem, I'd solve it with dfhack - autodump destroy the corpses and they should stop being designated for burial.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: March 15, 2017, 05:52:17 am »

I dropped some necromancer books in a library in a human town. Will people read them and become necromancers if I retire and play fortress mode, for example?

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: March 21, 2017, 10:33:22 am »

This is going to sound weird but

Do lesbian monitor lizards lay lesbian eggs?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: March 21, 2017, 10:54:37 am »

This is going to sound weird but

Do lesbian monitor lizards lay lesbian eggs?

What is a lesbian egg, and how does it differ from a normal one?

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: March 21, 2017, 10:57:31 am »

What I meant is:
1) do lesbian monitor lizards lay eggs like their straight counterparts, and
2) if those eggs can be fertilized as usual
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:59:54 am by Nikita »
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 268