Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434110 times)

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3195 on: March 30, 2017, 09:22:36 pm »

Built ramps have a floor under them, right?

I'm building the roof of my castle, and trying to figure out if:
WRW
WRW
WRW
WRW
will in fact block flyers from getting in from above.  (I have lots of keapeople and harpy problems).

(top down view, W = wall and R = ramp).
If I'm not mistaken, ramps do have floors under them. I believe your design should work.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: March 31, 2017, 09:13:14 pm »

why is this not pinned?

(until the next release)
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: April 04, 2017, 08:09:07 am »

Is there a threshold for Tavern/Temple/Library visitors?

My current fort has a gross worth of something like 6M Urists, with easily 500-750k exported, and in 8 years not a single visitor has shown up.

The fort has, at most, 35 people.

there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: April 04, 2017, 08:28:51 am »

Is there a threshold for Tavern/Temple/Library visitors?

My current fort has a gross worth of something like 6M Urists, with easily 500-750k exported, and in 8 years not a single visitor has shown up.

The fort has, at most, 35 people.

No. I had visitors in the first year, when the library was just four squares of dirt and nothing else. There can be several reasons why you're not getting visitors:
- every civ is dead or dying, so there are no possible historical figures to visit you
- the visitors physically cannot get to your fortress, i.e. you're on an island, or on an evil glacier, or your map has more than one ocean edge (i.e. beach fortresses even on the mainland are out of luck)
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: April 04, 2017, 08:38:46 am »

Thre are 3 civs for each race in the world (human, dwarf, goblin, elf, kobold), and none are dying out. one or two are getting their asses KICKED, but each race has been seen in the embark site (caravan, caravan, siege, caravan, and theiving respectively).

The fortress sits astride a waterfall that splits into 2 rivers at the bottom (my favored embark)--in the middle of a continent.

Also, if you start your own library and don't have any books--how do you get your dwarves to write books if nobody comes in and shares a book with you?

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: April 04, 2017, 10:19:27 am »

Also, if you start your own library and don't have any books--how do you get your dwarves to write books if nobody comes in and shares a book with you?
IIRC you need to assign some scribes as well as scholars, & make sure they have writing materials available

sunrakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: April 04, 2017, 11:50:51 am »

You can also buy some from the caravans. Codices and books are at the bottom of the trade list, before the parchments.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: April 04, 2017, 06:10:43 pm »

Thre are 3 civs for each race in the world (human, dwarf, goblin, elf, kobold), and none are dying out. one or two are getting their asses KICKED, but each race has been seen in the embark site (caravan, caravan, siege, caravan, and theiving respectively).

The fortress sits astride a waterfall that splits into 2 rivers at the bottom (my favored embark)--in the middle of a continent.

I would guess then that they either can't get to your fortress because of some obstacles, or they don't like the fact you have neither books nor scholars assigned to the library.

IIRC you need to assign some scribes as well as scholars, & make sure they have writing materials available
You only need scholars -- scribes copy books that you already have. You might want to have a look through your dwarves to see if any has any scholar skills (philosopher, geographer, and so on; also writer), as those seem to affect how productive a scholar is in writing books. A brand new scholar is wont to write a book about his start as a scholar and then hang around for ages only discussing and pondering.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: April 06, 2017, 06:01:23 pm »

Fairynuff, but scholars still need writing materials to write books, yes?

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: April 10, 2017, 09:26:10 am »

The elves stopped sending trade caravans to my fort foe the last few years. I got them to show up once and I uneventfully traded some knicknacks for a couple animals and some fruit. Then they never came back. They still have leaders in the civ menu and there are about 90 or so left in the world still.

Any idea what happened?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: April 10, 2017, 11:53:50 am »

The elves stopped sending trade caravans to my fort foe the last few years. ...
Any idea what happened?

There's a known bug with caravans getting stuck outside the map edges; here's a potential workaround.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: April 10, 2017, 11:56:58 am »

What is the cutting power of glass (metal penetration) compared to metal?

Is it iron, steel, bronze-equivalent, or what?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: April 10, 2017, 01:47:13 pm »

What is the cutting power of glass (metal penetration) compared to metal?

Is it iron, steel, bronze-equivalent, or what?
See material information in the wiki here. The equivalence would vary according to the type of weapons (slash verse blunt, etc).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: April 10, 2017, 02:33:08 pm »

Glass is worse than even copper. It has 1/3 the density so it hits with less force. It is 50% "sharper" but it has between 1/6 and 1/20 the ability to penetrate. All told it's maybe 10% as effective as copper.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: April 10, 2017, 05:35:30 pm »

May be a stupid question, but are pumps (/not/ pump stacks) required to be accessible from the z-level they're built in?

I'm trying to build an aqueduct (only needs occasional pumping, so I'm not bothered about stacks) to take muddy water from an aboveground pool to another aboveground swimming/watering pool I've channelled. I've given the pump accessibility thru stairs, floors etc. (both pump tiles have orthogonal access via stairs, then floors) from above, but no pump-enabled worker (including a master with no other significant skill) will come & work the pump for a while.. :(

Dammit I need a temporary job priority to give me a clue as to why the job's failing (if it is)! :)
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 268