Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434574 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3210 on: April 10, 2017, 07:30:03 pm »

May be a stupid question, but are pumps (/not/ pump stacks) required to be accessible from the z-level they're built in?

I'm trying to build an aqueduct (only needs occasional pumping, so I'm not bothered about stacks) to take muddy water from an aboveground pool to another aboveground swimming/watering pool I've channelled. I've given the pump accessibility thru stairs, floors etc. (both pump tiles have orthogonal access via stairs, then floors) from above, but no pump-enabled worker (including a master with no other significant skill) will come & work the pump for a while.. :(

Dammit I need a temporary job priority to give me a clue as to why the job's failing (if it is)! :)
If you built it, a pump operator should also be able to access it to access it (building requires Architect then Carpenter or Mason, then you need to 'q' it to start it. At this point you should see the job appear on the Jobs list, even if the job is inactive due to lack of an available pump operator.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: April 11, 2017, 09:18:50 am »

The pump has 1 walkable tile and 1 unwalkable tile. A dwarf must step into the walkable tile to operate the pump, which means normal walking rules apply.

Make sure the labors are on and the workshop profile (if any) isn't too restrictive.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:20:44 am by Nikita »

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: April 11, 2017, 10:19:36 am »

Two questions. Do elite soldiers still refuse to do their civilian jobs? Productivity basically halted after I put all these hammerlords on inactive. Kinda forced an early retirement since my armorer and weaponsmith both got really great at hammering things. I wanted them in armor so I kept them in a squad but removed the barracks. Instead of working they hang out at the tavern all day. Would removing them from the militia entirely have gotten them back to work?

Also I retired a fort, the local dark fortress entriely emptied out its goblin population. There are groups of 20-30 civilian goblins in every nearby hillock saying they are traveling back home to murdergrasps or whatever. Any clue why?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:08:57 am by Rusty Shackleford »

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: April 11, 2017, 10:47:16 am »

Two questions. Do elite soldiers still refuse to do their civilian jobs? Productivity went to a hammerlords after Iput all these hammerlords on inactive.

Also I retired a fort, the local dark fortress entriely emptied out its goblin population. There are groups of 20-30 civilian goblins in every nearby hillock saying they are traveling back home to murdergrasps or whatever. Any clue why?

The first I don't know. 
The second I can only speculate. Odds are they were already traveling somewhere perhaps or its possible their fortress fell.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: April 11, 2017, 11:00:06 am »

That dark fortress had about 900 goblins before I embarked. Now its a ton of trolls, beakdogs the resident demon and a few straggler outcasts and humans. I guess I have to look through legends mode but since half my plan involved depopulating that fortress in adventure mode anyways... it makes it much easier on my cpu since they are scattered around in refugee groups. Not one soldier among them. The goblins have been decidedly winning wars, wiped out the elf civ down to 4 guys in a trer somewhere. So I can't imagine somebody raided the dark fortress so hard they evacuated.

Also possibly related  there is talk of a goblin army on the march to my retired fort. Any way I can find and confront this army?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: April 11, 2017, 12:01:32 pm »

Also possibly related  there is talk of a goblin army on the march to my retired fort. Any way I can find and confront this army?
I have an adventurer who has just found out an army is on the march to her home world-gen fort. She headed towards the spire they are coming from and ran across a group of goblin civilians that say they're traveling home to the spire. She then got distracted by a nearby dragon. I plan to continue heading towards the spire. She wonders if this is in response to her killing everyone but the children at that dark pits a week or so ago.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: April 11, 2017, 12:05:36 pm »

The elves stopped sending trade caravans to my fort foe the last few years. ...
Any idea what happened?

There's a known bug with caravans getting stuck outside the map edges; here's a potential workaround.

There's also this script: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163671.0

The bug appears to affect everything, not just caravans but animals and sieges as well.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: April 12, 2017, 12:04:37 am »

I noticed that one of the visitors (now a resident) to my fort, was wearing earrings, bracelets and an amulet.

will my citizens also now choose to wear these items, depending on their personalities and preferences ?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: April 12, 2017, 04:10:33 am »

I noticed that one of the visitors (now a resident) to my fort, was wearing earrings, bracelets and an amulet.

will my citizens also now choose to wear these items, depending on their personalities and preferences ?
Probably. I know they can definitely claim such crafts while hauling them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: April 12, 2017, 03:45:24 pm »

Fairynuff, but scholars still need writing materials to write books, yes?
Yes. They will still come to a library with none, though, and discuss and ponder stuff forever.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: April 12, 2017, 05:07:24 pm »

I was just reading the great Kisat Dur thread on dwarven martial arts, and this question popped into my mind: Do metal gloves (I know, I know, not gloves, but whatever) act like Knuckle dusters for punching reasons? That is, do they affect unarmed combat at all, or are they just "armor"?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: April 12, 2017, 11:05:12 pm »

I was just reading the great Kisat Dur thread on dwarven martial arts, and this question popped into my mind: Do metal gloves (I know, I know, not gloves, but whatever) act like Knuckle dusters for punching reasons? That is, do they affect unarmed combat at all, or are they just "armor"?
Just armor.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: April 13, 2017, 08:13:30 am »

Well, in that case knuckle dusters should SO be a thing :P they appear very dwarven to me anyways...

and thx for the quick answere.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: April 15, 2017, 05:42:12 pm »

Got another question: if a slab was stored in a town, were would i be able to find it? it seems not to be in the catacombs or dungeons, as one might expect...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: April 15, 2017, 05:56:22 pm »

In the temple, under the altar? *This answer is the equivalent of saying "...magma.." and should not be taken seriously.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 268