Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434554 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3225 on: April 16, 2017, 11:52:43 am »

Citizens keep getting stuck up trees, and I have to cut the tree down to rescue them, before they die of hunger or dehydration.

What can I do about this ?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: April 16, 2017, 12:28:17 pm »

Citizens keep getting stuck up trees, and I have to cut the tree down to rescue them, before they die of hunger or dehydration.

Build a staircase adjacent to a tree. If there is a cluster of trees, dwarfs will travel from tree to tree to get to the sairs and go down. Of course you can cut them all down instead... and used paved roads or floors to prevent more from growing.

This is just like when you have  unroofed wall with no way down. Some dwarf will dodge his way onto the wall and you need to build a way for him to get down.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: April 18, 2017, 01:27:24 am »

Destroy all trees, pave a parking lot.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
  • Stumbling belligerence-first through life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: April 22, 2017, 07:51:14 pm »

Typically, an embark zone appears to be about 115-140 z levels deep. Is there a way in advanced world gen to reduce this?

I've been trying to reduce the amount of z levels between cavern layers, and the surface etc to reduce world depth, but to no avail.

Any tips? :)

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: April 22, 2017, 08:17:33 pm »

If you don't mind, reduce the number of caverns, for one. Note that this can cause problems with some underground plants not being available, IIRC.

The other option is to reduce the elevation range in world gen. (Not the number of z levels, but the actual min/max elevation in the section with rainfall / etc.)
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: April 22, 2017, 08:29:56 pm »

If you don't mind, reduce the number of caverns, for one. Note that this can cause problems with some underground plants not being available, IIRC.

The other option is to reduce the elevation range in world gen. (Not the number of z levels, but the actual min/max elevation in the section with rainfall / etc.)

I'd like to preserve caverns as much as possible, so I'm going to try the alternatives first, and see how far they can get me. I've reduced max elevation to 300, we'll see what that puts me at.

Thanks for the help :)

EDIT: iirc I can get rid of one of the cavern layers without losing many features, which one is it? 2?

EDIT 2: so far can't get the world generator to accept elevation maximums below 400.
Should I play with weighted ranges instead?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:47:46 pm by Curious Key »

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: April 23, 2017, 08:17:52 am »

Moody dwarf wants bones. I don't have bones from non-sapient creatures. He's not doing anything, but it might be because I don't have any cloth, which he also wants.

Will goblin bones suffice?

Edit: Slaughtered an animal, he got working, so I guess the answer is "no." I would like a definitive answer though, just to be sure.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:01:34 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Curious Key

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: April 23, 2017, 11:46:44 am »

Moody dwarf wants bones. I don't have bones from non-sapient creatures. He's not doing anything, but it might be because I don't have any cloth, which he also wants.

Edit: Slaughtered an animal, he got working, so I guess the answer is "no." I would like a definitive answer though, just to be sure.

Unless it's a fell or macabre mood, dwarfs won't use bone from sentient creatures in moods.

Essentially, if it can be used for a standard bonecrafting job, they'll use it.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: April 23, 2017, 11:47:09 am »

Typically, an embark zone appears to be about 115-140 z levels deep. Is there a way in advanced world gen to reduce this?

I've been trying to reduce the amount of z levels between cavern layers, and the surface etc to reduce world depth, but to no avail.

Any tips? :)

Try starting with "REGION" presets instead of "ISLAND" presets.

Perhaps, but goblin skeletons will not. You need a bone-stack, not a whole skeleton, and dwarves will not butcher sentient creatures/skeletons to create the necessary bone-stack. You can create some usable bone-stacks from unbutcherable creatures by severing their limbs (by combat, weapon traps, or very long falls) and allowing them to rot down to only bone. Note that dwarves may inconsistently apply their ethics when using those bones, but I think they were allowed in artifacts when I last attempted it.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: April 23, 2017, 12:10:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure I had a number of goblin bone stacks, somehow, when I checked the body parts stock. I think these were severed body parts that rotted away their meat.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: April 23, 2017, 02:56:46 pm »

EDIT 2: so far can't get the world generator to accept elevation maximums below 400.
Should I play with weighted ranges instead?
Set 'number of mountain peaks required' to 0 before you lower the elevation maximum. They can only form at elevation 400, IIRC.

Also, try increasing the minimum elevation. Note that it needs to be less than 100 for oceans to form.
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: April 28, 2017, 08:20:08 pm »

Salt water: any reason to build a cistern? Does a well work well enough for all drinking/medical needs?

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: April 28, 2017, 09:46:00 pm »

Salt water: any reason to build a cistern? Does a well work well enough for all drinking/medical needs?

A well desalinates salt water afaik still. You could build a cistern but I typically just build structures over natural bodies. A hospital out on a enclosed pier over the ocean might be cooler than channeling a cistern and risking a flood.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: April 29, 2017, 10:24:55 pm »

Quote from: vassock

A well is fine for drinking/medical, provided it's appropriately situated.

A cistern?  Always a good idea if you're building other water works.

It both gives you a limited supply of water - handy when you activate newly constructed waterworks for the first time...  "Strewth!  What's that sock doing jammed in the FlootItAll(tm) Floodgate?" - and for locking down the fortress completely with a water source inside the walls, limited though it may be.
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: April 30, 2017, 06:48:01 am »

Can you tell your citizens not to harvest plants/plant products that are completely inedible ? i.e. the ones that are inedible even cooked and cannot be brewed into drink either.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 268