Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431295 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3315 on: August 13, 2017, 05:04:54 pm »

Not quite. You also can't make boots or shoes from bone, so of (torso, legs, feet) bad thought trio you can only match 1.

They would make more sense to me than bone gauntlet, but c'est la vie.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: August 13, 2017, 06:25:24 pm »

oh, thought for some reason greaves would cover feet too... Its just weird because I deffinetly recall seeing a guy in bone armour IRL. no boots though ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: August 13, 2017, 07:35:06 pm »

Greaves (and even shirts) cover toes, but not the whole foot, nor do they count as armor/clothing equipped on the feet.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: August 14, 2017, 08:38:37 pm »

her goes a question: Why by the hammer of Armok can i make all kinds of bone armour, except nothing for the torso?
Take a look at this Omsk bone armor. I couldn't find any updated info about the restoration of that armor or the veracity of it. A coat of bone slats looks like a semi-rigid layer that would be used above layers of leather or cloth, similar to how brigandine armor uses metal plates. But it doesn't look like much for protection (I speculate).

Someone could have fun making a breastplate out of these 30cm cow tibias.

A layer of those, with an alternating tilt so the central pipes abutted, would make a decent short-term protective layer against some biting, bashing, and slashing attacks. But because it is a group of individual bones, a piercing weapon could be deflected between by the bones themselves, and because the bones do not overlap, a blunt strike to just one bone could jam it inward with little dispersion of force.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: August 18, 2017, 03:32:04 am »

Early laminar armour was made of bone, wood, tusk, leather or whatever "hard" materials the locals had to hand. 

Which isn't surprising, as those were pretty much the same bleeding-edge weapons-grade materials for the time...   :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 03:33:38 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: August 20, 2017, 01:37:47 pm »

So the argument would be that it wouldn't be able to take much abuse, and possibly injure the wearer more then protect him? but that would of course also apply to leggings ect.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: August 22, 2017, 09:57:14 pm »

So the argument would be that it wouldn't be able to take much abuse, and possibly injure the wearer more then protect him? but that would of course also apply to leggings ect.
I'm not sure which reasons are involved in "you can have bone legging but not bone armor" or how each reason was weighted. I just looked around to see what I could find about RL bone armor and speculated how one could craft it using "materials available at that time".

This idea is not "possibly injure the wearer more then protect him", but "individual pieces do not disperse force at the point of impact as well as a solid layer of the material does".

Consider this... DF differentiates armor types using the "shaped" state. Armor that is "shaped" is hard and inflexible (it might bend a bit under mild force). Bone and shell are inflexible materials and can be used for shaped armor, but unlike metals, they cannot be reformed into a larger piece. You can't melt a pile of bones and pour the liquid into a breastplate mold. This might be why these materials are limited to smaller body locations; where metal armor already consists of a mix of metal plates affixed to a backing material of leather, cloth, or light metal chainmail, then larger pieces of bone or shell could be carved down to replace those metal plates.

Here is an elephant femur adjacent to little humans. You could cut that bone down to replace the metal pieces used in leggings or greaves, but it is not quite big enough for a breastplate. Note that shells can be used as a material for "leggings" but not for "greaves", how many natural shells are shaped well for enclosing a dwarf leg? The current code allows any bone to be used, from an elephant or cat, but the bone product from butchering could easily have a size attribute associated with it, allowing bone greaves to be made from only "this size or larger" bones. Also, elves can make wooden breastplates and other armor types, but they tell the tree how to shape it.

Regarding "it wouldn't be able to take much abuse", that is probably handled by the armor damage system. All materials would take damage based on "attacking" material verse "defending" material, and bone is a weaker material than the metals. It would break sooner.

Of course, this is all speculation...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:00:29 pm by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: September 02, 2017, 09:51:39 pm »

I'm digging out a magma plumbing  area for my forges right now, but I'm finding the constant warning pauses about digging cancellations annoying. Is there a way to turn them off? I have DF Hack installed, but I couldn't find anything that seemed to be relevant.

Edit: I'm digging out the plumbing in a different area for now, so this question is more about the next fort.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:54:45 pm by MantisMan »
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: September 03, 2017, 08:22:11 am »

I'm digging out a magma plumbing  area for my forges right now, but I'm finding the constant warning pauses about digging cancellations annoying. Is there a way to turn them off? I have DF Hack installed, but I couldn't find anything that seemed to be relevant.

Edit: I'm digging out the plumbing in a different area for now, so this question is more about the next fort.

If you go into the Dwarf Fortress folder, click on the Init folder, then the Announcements document inside that. Search for a line that says "[DIG_CANCEL_WARM:A_D:D_D:P:R]". You can edit that - if you remove P it stops the pause, and if you remove "R" it keeps it from recentering on the location. (the first two are for reporting it to different logs).

Of course then you just have to be careful not to dig through someplace you didn't want to, since you won't have the warning about it :p

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: September 03, 2017, 06:08:07 pm »

I seek greater understanding about how dwarves use musical instruments in locations (temples, taverns).

1. Do they have to be assigned to the space, via reserving or building in place, or will they pick up something that's lying about? Will they fetch instruments from another part of the fortress?

2. Reserving instruments seems to have only a "number desired" control. Is there any preference for variety, so that if I produce multiples of each kind then one of each would end up in both tavern and temple?

3. Following up if the answer to 2 is no, it seems that to ensure a complete band I should build in place. Is it okay to be off in a corner and not adjacent to the dance floor?

Horus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: September 05, 2017, 10:20:28 am »

Why is keeping Dwarves happy so easy? A little bit of wine and they are thrilled. Soldiers get no free time, and vomit profusely when going outside. Nobles get nothing they want and few Dwarves even have beds. Babies and loved ones die, and everyone is still euphoric. Even guests want to live in my forts in these conditions (I understand that is based on a different mechanic though). My Dwarves live terrible existences and are thrilled about it. Can I change this to make things actually matter?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: September 05, 2017, 10:29:12 am »

Why? To simulate how people act (workaholics in a fulfilling job who have close people die don't necessarily start killing people around them), though Toady admitted they may be little too resilent.

You can change their STRESS_PROPENSITY, I think it was, in the raws, along with few other values that control how easy it is to make them happy (some dwarves will enjoy little besides seeing their own furniture, for instance).

@mightymushroom: I think taverngoers only use instruments built in and assigned to tavern in a bag/box. I'd guess no preference for variety; DF tends to go for either newest, oldest or closest first (so you could get variety for multiple taverns by rotating instrument production in 1 workshop that doesn't have instruments moved out).

If you're lacking an instrument taverngoers want to use, you'll notice it by jobs like "Simulate Orel" and such.

Horus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: September 05, 2017, 04:11:22 pm »

What I am saying is that this system seems broken. In every single fortress I make, every dwarf seems thrilled no matter what. No one reaches a stress lvl remotely high unless they cant make an artifact. I once had a goblin army kill half my fortress. Over 100 dwarves died. Some lost their entire family. They grieved sure, but it never mattered in the end. Not one of them had a stress level that was outside of green on the bottom right stress indicator. all of their personality traits mattered nil in the end, as long as they had alcohol. I even looked for dwarves who had nothing they wanted, and even they were still perfectly content. This isn't simulating how people act. None of them ever gets stressed as long as they have alcohol of some kind, which is very easy to have in abundance. Some dwarves, except for some who would be exceptionally stoic, would be in total despair under the conditions I have created for them. Is there a discussion on this being broken or not? Is it supposed to be this easy to keep them happy? Having your 5 children and husband butchered by trolls should not be curable with a cup of wine for every single dwarf, even he emotionally sensitive one. I just started playing again after a few years so I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. This is just way too easy now. I can make an outdoor labor camp and send endless dwarves to their deaths as long as i have plump helmet wine everyone will not only be content, the will be euphoric.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: September 06, 2017, 09:23:15 am »

There have been many (so many, but I started last year, so idc) discussions on it. Toady acknowledged that they may be a little too easy to keep happy in last FotF, but also said that tantrums are gamey and revolutions are more fitting. Modding dwarves is the closest thing to a "solution", though it won't get you the tantrum spirals of DF2012 if you want those.

Horus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: September 07, 2017, 10:57:13 am »

Yeah I recently read that he acknowledged this issue. I don't want tantrum spirals, I'm just hoping for some kind of dynamic consequence to dwarves being stressed for various reasons. This game is just so good already, I shouldn't complain too much.  :-X
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 268