Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 436198 times)

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3330 on: September 07, 2017, 01:11:28 pm »

Horus, I remember reading a thread last year where someone posted their simple change for adding a little more stress to the game. Here's the post with the specific details:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160117.msg7150904#msg7150904

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: September 08, 2017, 09:45:23 pm »

I've had some issues with combat reports that show random dwarves or immigrants becoming enraged for just a moment, and then calming down. They don't seem to be notably upset when I can find them again, and I'm not sure what made them act out, or how to fix it.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: September 09, 2017, 02:29:26 am »

They had an unpleasant conversation, probably. May sometimes escalate into a grudge or fight.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: September 09, 2017, 04:14:58 pm »

I had one librarian start an argument with literally everyone in town, and then they broke his legs. He was still happy about getting to argue.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: September 09, 2017, 07:00:33 pm »

Quick trade questions I can't see an answer to since 43.05:

What's a good profit to give the trader? I've been going with 100%, but my current fort I went with closer to 60% and can't see any difference in terms of stocking of later caravans. (One fort isn't much of a dataset, I know...)

Ditto with (o)ffer. Used to do it religiously, but can't see any difference in my current fort.

Is the first spring elven caravan random, or purely based on fort value? So if the caravan is scheduled early in the spring, it's quite easy to not have the value necessary to get one? (Or alternatively, if it's late, it's easy to make the wealth needed?)

Thanks!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: September 09, 2017, 10:41:57 pm »

It's always a minimum of 50% profit to complete the trade. Rounded up, iirc. Otherwise, giving more back makes your fort more attractive target, increases size of caravans next year (ah, but that doesn't mean they'd bring 5 pieces of magnetite instead of 4), which is more obvious if you ignore elves for a decade and then give them masterwork adamantine trap component, and offer does improve relations with effect decaying over time (you could use it to prevent elves going to war, maybe).

Elves have [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1], which means you need to have traded at least 500⛭ of exported goods.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: September 10, 2017, 11:36:01 am »

It's always a minimum of 50% profit to complete the trade.

Traders can and will accept offers down to 0% profit, depending on trader's mood, your fortress representative's social skills, etc. 50% profit is a "safe" value that is seldom rejected. Larger profits do increase exported wealth faster.

but that doesn't mean they'd bring 5 pieces of magnetite instead of 4

It doesn't allow you to request 5 magnetite, but it does mean they are (very slightly) more likely to bring 5 magnetite. After the caravan loads all the "emergency supplies" and "requested goods", most of the remaining capacity is filled with "random goods"--more random goods means a slightly higher probability of getting useful random items, including that 5th magnetite.

Elves have [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1], which means you need to have traded at least 500⛭ of exported goods.

Elves also have [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1] and [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1], which means the elven caravan will appear when your fortress has exported 500 urists of goods OR achieved a population of 20 OR produced 5000 urists of wealth. Of the three, wealth is more likely to trigger an early elven caravan (though it was considerably easier in prior versions when the caravan arrived in late spring instead of early spring).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: September 10, 2017, 02:05:55 pm »

Traders can and will accept offers down to 0% profit, depending on trader's mood, your fortress representative's social skills, etc. 50% profit is a "safe" value that is seldom rejected. Larger profits do increase exported wealth faster.
I've read that mood had an effect in pre-42.06 versions, but I've never had a trade succeed with any less than 50% profit even with hundreds of 100% profit trades beforehand (coins) or never had my first trade rejected at exactly 50% profit.

Have you gotten a trade through on lower-than-50% profit in DF2016+?

And right about elves, again.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: September 10, 2017, 06:17:55 pm »

Have you gotten a trade through on lower-than-50% profit in DF2016+?

Yes; I successfully traded in v0.43.05x32 with a <10% profit margin:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the test embark.

Incidentally, I hit 5000 wealth in 12 days without trying too hard... which would have been sufficient to trigger a first-year elven caravan if it was scheduled to arrive in mid or late spring.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:23:32 pm by Loci »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: September 12, 2017, 05:16:01 am »

Okay, this is weird. Failed to replicate with 13% profit:
Spoiler: 1700 to 1500 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resulted in this (click to show/hide)

Got the very happy mood by bunch of statue-for bar or rock trades.

Que???
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:17:42 am by Fleeting Frames »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: September 12, 2017, 09:30:29 am »

When contrasting the two results I see that in Loci's example the item weights are in the traders' favor while in Fleeting Frames's they are not. Is there any trade science regarding weight?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: September 12, 2017, 05:26:21 pm »

It is certainly possible to go below 50% profit. 

My general trading routine is to start with 100% profit and then once the trader is ecstatic with the trading I'll reduce the profit margin to 50%.  Pretty much never get refusals (=counteroffers) with this.  But on occasion I will dip below 50%, 30-40% is quite doable but cannot be repeated ad infinitum.  My feeling is that there is a random element to acceptance of the offer that is inflected by the degree of profit (i.e. overall % profit), and of course skill of your representative... I've had trades below 50% go to counteroffer, removed the added items, and had the original offer accepted when immediately offered again, even despite having had a drop of happiness about the trading...  But I have definitely noticed that if I keep going with 100% profit for a while beyond ecstatic then it is very (much more) likely to get an acceptance of a <50% offer.  Lowest possible? I'm not sure about.  Think I've done trades in the region of 10-20% profit on occasion but have not kept track.

However I usually just go with 100%, then 50%, then (o)ffer any heavy or numerous excess items to reduce hauling demands.  Sometimes I fill the caravan to its weight limit...  Yep, after the first couple of years (or is that months?  :P) it's "can't give it away" territory.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:36:04 pm by feelotraveller »

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: September 13, 2017, 07:10:05 am »

I've a question regarding fluids and pressure.

More specifically, I plan to build an underground reservoir for my fortress. It consists of a main cistern which is connected to smaller cisterns through my 'inner floodgates'. The main cistern is feeded by a brook 3 z-levels above it, to which it is connected by my 'outer floodgates'.

What I had in mind was the following:

1. Open the outer floodgates to flood the main cistern
2. Close the outer floodgates once the main cistern is full
3. Open the inner floodgates to fill the smaller cisterns through diffusion from the main cistern
4. Close the inner floodgates to prevent them from spilling over, just in case

Is that a feasible design? Can water pressure be stopped by floodgates? Or could the main cistern, despite being cut off from the brook, still manage to flood the fortress?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: September 13, 2017, 10:19:45 am »

Yep, closed floodgates stop water pressure. Of course, if your smaller cisterns are below main one, it can still flood it with unregulated pressure. Diagonal water leaking could enable you to run with both floodgates missing, though it's going to be a way to enter the fort without something safe blocking the way. (A floodgate or vertical bars can be safe...if built on top of 1-wide n-bend.)

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: September 16, 2017, 09:40:57 am »

A question about a room.

Is there any difference if I have a room with doors + bed + chair + table, and then another one (identical), but set as a bedroom, and then another one identical as bedroom and dormitory YES.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 268