Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435758 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3360 on: September 22, 2017, 09:30:47 pm »

Here's an answer without a question.  I just noticed this today and thought it might help other people.  A loom with a linked stockpile will not collect webs.  Auto collect will not engage and if you try to do it manually the error message you get is a very unhelpful "There must be 10 undisturbed webs to collect" (or something similar).  It makes complete sense if you think about it (it's trying to collect from the stockpile which obviously doesn't have any webs in it).  But it was driving me crazy until I realised what's going on...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: September 23, 2017, 01:31:15 am »

Heh. The standard example is a restricted burrow for silk farm, especially as thread is so light it doesn't clutter workshops easily (and thus isn't as beneficial to carry to a stockpile).

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: September 23, 2017, 06:43:10 am »

I use a feeder stockpile to the loom and have it take from the dyer.  This ensures that this particular loom only accepts dyed thread.  I always intended to have an "emergency loom" for when I need cloth no matter what, but didn't need it until my dye supplies got low and I had a mood.

Riky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: September 24, 2017, 11:35:30 am »

How do I tell my dwarfs to gather the adamantine ore in depths?
1) Stone hauling is enabled to every single one of them
2) Stockpiles with wheelbarrows exist
3) There is a clear path between ores and a stockpiles as well
4) Gathering minerals is enabled on Orders Menu
And I still have about 20+ idlers hanging around. Funny enough when someone is killed in depths, they immediately rush to corpse to haul it to the stockpile.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:37:31 am by Riky »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: September 24, 2017, 02:03:37 pm »

And I still have about 20+ idlers hanging around. Funny enough when someone is killed in depths, they immediately rush to corpse to haul it to the stockpile.

Some things you didn't mention include:

A) the boulders are not forbidden or earmarked for any buildings/constructions
B) the stockpile is set to take from anywhere, not from links only
C) the wheelbarrows aren't already full of stuck items
D) your dwarves aren't restricted from the stockpile, boulders, or their chosen path between the two by burrows
E) your dwarves aren't too busy hauling other boulders to collect the ones you actually want (with wheelbarrows assigned, dwarves only haul using them)
F) you haven't had temperature calculations disabled since your last fire/magma incident

I'm sure there are other possibilities as well. The best way to get an accurate diagnosis is to upload a save to DFFD.

Riky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: September 25, 2017, 10:48:52 am »

D) your dwarves aren't restricted from the stockpile, boulders, or their chosen path between the two by burrows
E) your dwarves aren't too busy hauling other boulders to collect the ones you actually want (with wheelbarrows assigned, dwarves only haul using them)
F) you haven't had temperature calculations disabled since your last fire/magma incident

I'm sure there are other possibilities as well. The best way to get an accurate diagnosis is to upload a save to DFFD.

I just did a couple of tests and here what I got: If I dig just a couple of layers down and get, lets say, Marble stone and there is a stockpile with a wheelbarrows in it- dwarfs will grab it and gather this Marble to the stockpile as I would like them to.
But when I dig in caves or about 10-12+ layers down they literally ignore all my ores. This is especially frustrating when I don't have any metal ores and I finally find it but my dwarfs don't gather it no matter if my stockpile on fortress set to all stones or specifically on Hematite/Magnetite/Limonite.
My only suggestion is that they might be busy with something else but this happens even if I enable Stone Hauling in the Therapist Hack. Still the same situation.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: September 25, 2017, 01:22:31 pm »

I just did a couple of tests and here what I got: If I dig just a couple of layers down and get, lets say, Marble stone and there is a stockpile with a wheelbarrows in it- dwarfs will grab it and gather this Marble to the stockpile as I would like them to.
But when I dig in caves or about 10-12+ layers down they literally ignore all my ores. This is especially frustrating when I don't have any metal ores and I finally find it but my dwarfs don't gather it no matter if my stockpile on fortress set to all stones or specifically on Hematite/Magnetite/Limonite.
My only suggestion is that they might be busy with something else but this happens even if I enable Stone Hauling in the Therapist Hack. Still the same situation.
The dwarfs can get down to the metal and adamantine ores to dig, but will not haul them? Test Loci's A, B, and D with these three things:
A: Try to construct a wall adjacent to one of the ores. If you cannot see that ore available as a building material at a 1 range, then it is A.
B: Create a new stockpile adjacent to some of the ores that were mined, set it to accept just that ore type. If they fill it up, then it is B.
D: If it was not A or B, make sure your miners are enabled to haul stone; since they can dig there, they should be able to haul from there, and if they haul and the others do not, then it has to do with the other dwarfs (burrows?).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

kelid190

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: September 27, 2017, 04:36:12 pm »

How much does the world continue to change after world generation?  Will structures still get built in the world?  Cities founded?  New art forms created?  Wars waged?  Asking regarding both fortress and adventure mode.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: September 27, 2017, 08:01:41 pm »

World activation does cause wars to rage, oh yes. You can have humans, elves and dwarves live peacefully alongside for centuries, and be at war with each other within a year of embark.

Other ways it changes is that (mega)beasts will no longer rampage across standard sites and can suddenly cross oceans to attack player site, as well as towers suddenly starting to perform raids on the sites around them. (probably limited by civ affiliation, I guess)

Cities also get founded. Here's an overview by Spriggans of Succession world in year 3 and year 42.

Structures don't seem to get built, though, looking at year 48 retirement example - so it is no wonder all the visitors eventually either settle somewhere, die, or visit your fortress. Looking at legends for art forms...can't find them.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: September 28, 2017, 12:39:01 pm »

Artistic forms can very rarely be created after world generation.  New instruments cannot.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: October 07, 2017, 11:28:44 pm »

Will tamed cave spiders (the vermin, not the Giant creatures) still bite and pass syndromes to dwarves and pets? If they are assigned to a cage and the cage is deconstructed by lever, will they produce webs as usual?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: October 08, 2017, 05:07:49 am »

Not without prompting them to strike out from being overcrowded with too many creatures on the same tile, unlikely.

The GCS web farm design is for wild cave spiders, alternatively you can trap some vermin cave spiders and put them in a confined space to naturally fill up with web (keep the cats out)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: October 08, 2017, 09:13:32 am »

Will tamed cave spiders (the vermin, not the Giant creatures) still bite and pass syndromes to dwarves and pets? If they are assigned to a cage and the cage is deconstructed by lever, will they produce webs as usual?
If the cave spider has any dwarf kills, he can rebel spontaneously. Then he will fight your dwarves.
Tame creatures won't otherwise attack your dwarves, and the giant cave spider produces webs when attacking. Just stick some bait around the GCS, and seal it off with a bridge when you want to collect the webs.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: October 08, 2017, 09:15:41 am »

Adamantine falls under other stone, so it might be disabled in the stockpile. In fact, I deem it very likely. It is second last, with the last being slade.

Rusty_knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: December 09, 2017, 04:41:12 am »

What if I claim some land on a distant isle as an adventurer and then retire to settle there in fortress mode, would it be listed in "neighbours" list? Can I trade with it?

What can be done with idlers in fortress mode? There's ton of hauling jobs waiting for a pair of working hands to complete them around, but nearly a half of my population just hangs out in the meeting area (and continues do so even if I delete that said area). Hauling labors are enabled for them.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:46:42 am by Rusty_knight »
Crazy-ass weirdo beaver is my totem animal!
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 268