Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435831 times)

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3405 on: January 24, 2018, 06:05:38 am »

What is the most effective way to dig 1x1 hole across 100 z-levels?

I needed it as a sealed water drain, or to deliver sand to magma kiln, and the amount of service tunnels and other work needed to make 1x1 hole is insane.

I wasn't able to make dorf channel the hole all the way, even if locked, he aborts the task after 3-7 z-levels and just chills in the hole with "No job".

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: January 24, 2018, 10:16:51 am »

What is the most effective way to dig 1x1 hole across 100 z-levels?

Dig your chute using up/down stairs instead, then channel just the top tile. Liquids, items, and minecarts that are already falling when they reach the stairs will fall all the way down to the bottom of the stairwell.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: January 26, 2018, 03:32:40 am »

Is there a way to reuse stones in a stone fall trap?  Every time one is triggered the mechanic hauls a stone to load the trap, but there is a perfectly good stone already right there. 

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: January 26, 2018, 12:45:17 pm »

Is there a way to reuse stones in a stone fall trap?  Every time one is triggered the mechanic hauls a stone to load the trap, but there is a perfectly good stone already right there.
the mechanics just take the stone closest to them when they reload it, if you want to use specific stones or re-use them you have to forbid all of the stone and un-forbid the stone you want to use then they will use that stone only.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: January 26, 2018, 01:43:19 pm »

The wiki states: Keep in mind that your population must be at least 80 to get a king and 100 to obtain the current game features.

Which game features require 100 dwarves? Does this 100 include children and visitor citizens or does it need to be adult dwarves?

I'm tired of having so many dwarves that I don't know who they are, trying to find the best population cap for my next play.

(EDIT) Well I guess that part of the wiki is wrong, it takes 140 to get a metropolis and have a monarch arrive. What does 100 get you or is the above quote from the wiki entirely wrong?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:12:22 pm by Isher »

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: January 27, 2018, 07:15:15 pm »

Two questions about war animals and pets:

Do assigned war animals provide the same happy thought (scaled with value) as a pet that's been adopted?

Do war animals, and pets in general, have less taxing pathfinding that say a pastured animal?

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #3411 on: January 27, 2018, 08:59:29 pm »

Not an expert, but dwarves get upset if their assigned war animals die. AFAIK, pastured animals in a locked room have the lowest pathfinding calculations, but I'm even less of an expert on that stuff.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: January 27, 2018, 10:40:26 pm »

Do war animals, and pets in general, have less taxing pathfinding that say a pastured animal?
Probably not. A pastured animal stays in the pasture and moves occasionally (more often for grazers that are looking for more food). War animals and pets are following a dwarf and are either constantly path-finding over a short distance, or are following the path laid out by the dwarf (with short-distance pathfinding required if the path is blocked). Which ever method it uses, it is likely to use more FPS due to the constant movement of the dwarf that is being followed. War animals do not need to be assigned and you can put 100 war dogs in a one cage, linked to a lever.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

sheepish_gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: February 06, 2018, 05:36:39 am »

Quick question about blocking off water channels:

Normally, you can block enemies coming through water by using fortifications. But I've read here on the forum that enemies can sometimes swim through them if they are 7/7 filled.
It is my understanding that enemies can't swim through bars or grates. But these have the problem that they can be destroyed by building destroyers.

So far I've used multi-level siphon designs to prevent building destroyers destroying the grates.

But, what if you use a fortification and grate in succesion? the enemy can't swim through the fortification because there is no place to stand behind the fortification, and the enemy can't destroy the grate because there is no place to stand in front of the grate while destroying it.

Would this allow for a same-level fool-proof barrier?

(Possible addition for ranged building destroyers, having 2 fortifications, going diagonal and back to prevent line of sight to the grate)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: February 07, 2018, 01:57:56 am »

But, what if you use a fortification and grate in succesion? the enemy can't swim through the fortification because there is no place to stand behind the fortification, and the enemy can't destroy the grate because there is no place to stand in front of the grate while destroying it.
Two issues:
1. They can sit inside the fortification.
2. Building destroyers attack from 2 tiles away.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: February 07, 2018, 02:10:47 pm »

Normally, you can block enemies coming through water by using fortifications. But I've read here on the forum that enemies can sometimes swim through them if they are 7/7 filled.
It is my understanding that enemies can't swim through bars or grates. But these have the problem that they can be destroyed by building destroyers.

So far I've used multi-level siphon designs to prevent building destroyers destroying the grates.

Would this allow for a same-level fool-proof barrier?

(Possible addition for ranged building destroyers, having 2 fortifications, going diagonal and back to prevent line of sight to the grate)

*Kool-Aid-Mans through the wall of the thread*

MY TIME HAS COME AGAIN. The third one about Grates is most pertinent to your question, and also involves a famous celebrity.

It is also easy to add wells to your underground pipe system. Just make sure that the water flows diagonally from the pressurized pipe to the well area. Your dwarves should have no problem escaping the rapidly filling well area, and the water will not rise above the well level.

God but I love posting these anytime anyone mentions waterways.

*exits through opposite wall*
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

sheepish_gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: February 08, 2018, 08:56:03 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*Kool-Aid-Mans through the wall of the thread*

MY TIME HAS COME AGAIN. The third one about Grates is most pertinent to your question, and also involves a famous celebrity.

It is also easy to add wells to your underground pipe system. Just make sure that the water flows diagonally from the pressurized pipe to the well area. Your dwarves should have no problem escaping the rapidly filling well area, and the water will not rise above the well level.

God but I love posting these anytime anyone mentions waterways.

*exits through opposite wall*

Thanks for the images Dunamisdeos. But like I said in my original post, I'm already using these kind of multi z-level siphons, so I was hoping for a simpler same z-level solution (although, is siphon the correct term for it? those swan necks below sinks, English isn't my native language).

The diagonal wasn't meant for water pressure, but for breaking line of sight to the wall grate, like this:
Code: [Select]
                WWWWWWW
water source >> 77FWG77 >> to fort
                WWWFWWW
                WWWWWWW

F = fortification
G = wall grate or vertical bars

But as Bumber pointed out, that won't work when FB's can sit in fortifications...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: February 08, 2018, 02:12:15 pm »

Thanks for the images Dunamisdeos. But like I said in my original post, I'm already using these kind of multi z-level siphons, so I was hoping for a simpler same z-level solution (although, is siphon the correct term for it? those swan necks below sinks, English isn't my native language).

The diagonal wasn't meant for water pressure, but for breaking line of sight to the wall grate, like this:
                WWWWWWW
water source >> 77FWG77 >> to fort
                WWWFWWW
                WWWWWWW

F = fortification
G = wall grate or vertical bars

But as Bumber pointed out, that won't work when FB's can sit in fortifications...

Use grates in the same z, and have the z-1 siphon (DF's gravity water pressure filter). 

z+0
################  # = wall
##########d++++#  d = down stairs
##########L#+o++  + = floor
############+++#  o = well
################  L = Lever link to flood gate water shut off.

z-1
################  > = water source, 7 = 7/7 water
##########u#777#  d = down stairs
>7d#G+GCdfC7777#  G = Grate over down stairs
############777#  C = Constructed wall
################  f = flood gate

z-2
################  u = up stairs
############777# 
##u+u#u+u###777#
############777#
################

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: February 08, 2018, 05:16:40 pm »

The swan neck below the sink is called a "trap" or an "S-bend" in America, and might have other names in other English-speaking countries.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: February 09, 2018, 06:40:31 pm »

I seriously just get excited any time someone mentions water pressure, i'll try and reign it back.

Anyhoo I don't know of any successful 1-z methods. Not outside of a raising bridge that you lower/raise when you want water.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 268