Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435590 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3435 on: March 19, 2018, 05:43:56 pm »

I've had that happen, there is apparently a chance of no high/low boots. Been that way for a while, though it's been a rare thing for me.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: March 20, 2018, 06:16:31 am »

Is there any point in building cages from anything other than wood? Except magma safety.
Dabbling Overseer

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:57 am »

no, however animal traps shouldn't be made of wood since there is a higher chance of it breaking.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: March 20, 2018, 09:54:24 am »

Wood is probably the best material. It's light. Rat can gnaw through its wooden cage, though.

Magma glass furnace + sand = free green glass. Green glass terrarium is a thing.

I don't know if it's myth or fact, but I heard that fire imp can set its wooden cage in fire with body temperature.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

New man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: March 21, 2018, 11:44:28 am »

How list of available stones of merchants are formed?

I noticed that dwarves sometimes don't have certain rock to order through lialison but human often bring anything.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: March 21, 2018, 12:08:00 pm »

My understanding is that it's supposed to be based on the geography from wherever the caravan's civilization comes from, but I don't know that for sure.  I'm pretty sure it works that way for your own civilization, at least.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: March 21, 2018, 01:07:37 pm »

Each civilization has access to certain stones. Their selection is determined during worldgen, somehow. You can check what stones your civilization has access to during embark or when making an import order.

I wonder, is it possible to mod stones a civ has access to? I usually spend a long time when rolling a world, because I'm checking embark options for each civilization (waiting for history update again and again) and if I don't find a civilization with access to bituminous coal and whatever combination of ores I want at the moment, I reroll entire world and start the checking process all over again.

New man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: March 21, 2018, 01:24:07 pm »

I added these to the human raws (Entity_default.txt, where "PLAINS")

Code: [Select]
[POSITION:APh_GUILD_REPRESENTATIVE]
[NAME:Hoardmaster:Hoardmasters]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE]
[RESPONSIBILITY:ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS]
[PRECEDENCE:40]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[SLEEP_PRETENSION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:7:0:1]
[DUTY_BOUND]

This adds something like outpost liaison for humans.

In my experience, they have all stones, but I not confident that it always happen.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: March 21, 2018, 02:15:25 pm »

Is there any reason NOT to stop the worldgen before it hits the end year set during the design phase?

The only info I could find about it, was a single line in DFwiki's fortrerss mode tutorial stating " A common new player error is to stop the World Generation once the History year counter slows down. Do not do this, as this may impede trading later on. "
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: March 21, 2018, 02:29:24 pm »

I'm not sure what impact it has on trade, specifically, but stopping it early will just mean that fewer worldgen events happen.  Less sites founded, sites razed, megabeast attacks, battles, nobility changes, etc.

As far as I know there's nothing special about any particular year.  If you gen a world with a long history but stop it short at year 50, it should be the same as if you'd stopped it at year 50 with any other setting.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: March 22, 2018, 05:43:03 am »

yep, unless there is any bug, it should be the same (logically) as setting a shorter history. 

Anyway I've tried to generate a few worlds like this, and so far the only noticable thing I 've found (through legend viewer, not actual gameplay) was that one dwarven site was listed as having 13 animated goblins as part of their "other" population. Said site is near a necro tower, so there is a chance I stopped worldgen during a necro siege or it could be entirely unrelated.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

New man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: March 22, 2018, 10:17:45 am »

Does civilization living creature count affect on caravans?

I have a human civilization that did almost extinct.
So I want to 'resurrect' them by creating their site near my future dwarven fortress (there are no humans in embark screen and I want caravans from this site).
I checked that adding SITE_CONTROLLABLE works fine and I can embark as them. Also, humans start to be neighbours after retire.

However, they are almost extinct (Legends viewer doesn't show any living creatures of them) so I wanna know does this factor affect on caravan size or goods range?
In older versions thats doesn't matter but I am not sure about current version.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: March 22, 2018, 01:31:27 pm »

If I make a farm plot for an above-ground crop with the [GROWTH_DROPS_OFF] tag on its fruit, is it possible to get my dwarves to just pick up the fruit that falls off and leave the actual crop where it is without harvesting it? Will the crop wither if they do that? I want to set up some above-ground farms for food, but the problem is that if I cook the plant into a meal, I don't get the seed. What I want is a crop that will stay where it is so it'll keep growing after I harvest the fruit from it, the way it works when you tell your dwarves to gather plants. I just don't want to actually tell them to gather plants, because I want to put the plants in my farm instead of having them scattered across the map where they generated.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: March 22, 2018, 02:34:34 pm »

If I make a farm plot for an above-ground crop with the [GROWTH_DROPS_OFF] tag on its fruit, is it possible to get my dwarves to just pick up the fruit that falls off and leave the actual crop where it is without harvesting it? Will the crop wither if they do that? I want to set up some above-ground farms for food, but the problem is that if I cook the plant into a meal, I don't get the seed. What I want is a crop that will stay where it is so it'll keep growing after I harvest the fruit from it, the way it works when you tell your dwarves to gather plants. I just don't want to actually tell them to gather plants, because I want to put the plants in my farm instead of having them scattered across the map where they generated.

Sounds like at tree with a gather zone.  I did this 7x7 around the base of an apple tree, but needed 7z to cover/ceiling the top of the tree.  Apple cider and apple fruits! 

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: March 22, 2018, 08:02:47 pm »

Unless things have changed, I'm pretty sure creatures, including FBs, can spawn underwater at the cavern edge.  In the past I've always just resorted to walling off entire passages that included water, but it's admittedly not terribly practical for some cavern layouts.
I haven't seen it happen. Has anyone else? I have seen FBs spawn on walkable tree or mushroom tiles right against the map edge though.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 268