Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431243 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3495 on: April 09, 2018, 01:38:44 am »

c m d
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: April 09, 2018, 07:46:30 pm »

If you replace interface.txt in data\init to keep your controls as part of upgrade process, you won't have the keys set. I had to edit the file again to have new controls assigned as well.

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: April 15, 2018, 05:38:24 am »

I plan to build a underground well, but I'm not sure if its flood- and siegeproof:

If I remember correctly, I can't, build a well on a empty channel. So I have to flood first the channel and then build the well, right? But won't the water spill out and flood my fort?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:42:08 am by Showbiz »
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: April 15, 2018, 06:44:02 am »

You can build a well on an empty channel and bring water later. As for bringing the water and dealing with pressure: DIAGRAMS below

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169998.msg7723876#msg7723876

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: April 15, 2018, 07:00:11 am »

Thank you very much!
Pardon for my mistakes

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: April 15, 2018, 07:47:28 am »

So ever since I started playing again I've been constantly harassed by claims of not having any seeds for my plump helmets. What change is it that has led to this trend? It used to be that you'd never run out seeds once you planted a single mushroom (I guess it was pretty broken that way...). Is return rate of spawn now dependent on Plant skill or something, maybe?

You can build a well on an empty channel and bring water later. As for bringing the water and dealing with pressure: DIAGRAMS below

None of your images are working for me.
Love, scriver~

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: April 15, 2018, 08:01:57 am »

Looks like they went down not long ago, they were accessible when I linked the post.

But it is okay. I typed the keyword in caps, so we'll get Dunamisdeos to the rescue.  ;)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: April 15, 2018, 08:15:01 am »

Oh, and another question in addition to my farming one: My farmer's keep making thread out of hair that I think they get from the refuse pile, and it's not getting stocked in the cloth pile, nor is it labelled correctly - it's not "[Animal] Yarn" but "[Animal] Thread". Is this thread useless and a glitch or something?
Love, scriver~

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: April 15, 2018, 08:52:34 am »

Do you have multiple planters? Is it possible that planters take whole bag of seeds instead of a seed when planting, resulting in cancellations when UristMcEager takes all seeds with him, leaving no seeds for anyone else? There were no changes in seed returns. Unless you cook it, it gives you seed, always, up to 200 or whatever the limit is. There is also total limit independent of seed type, maybe that is trimming your seed returns?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: April 15, 2018, 11:17:05 am »

Oh, and another question in addition to my farming one: My farmer's keep making thread out of hair that I think they get from the refuse pile, and it's not getting stocked in the cloth pile, nor is it labelled correctly - it's not "[Animal] Yarn" but "[Animal] Thread". Is this thread useless and a glitch or something?

It is not Yarn because it can't be used to make clothes. Its only use, AFAIK, is to sew wounds at hospitals.

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: April 15, 2018, 11:51:14 am »

So ever since I started playing again I've been constantly harassed by claims of not having any seeds for my plump helmets. What change is it that has led to this trend? It used to be that you'd never run out seeds once you planted a single mushroom (I guess it was pretty broken that way...). Is return rate of spawn now dependent on Plant skill or something, maybe?

None of your images are working for me.

Dwarfs can now pick up several items of the same type ( only works for some categories whit generally small items, like seeds, gems, bars, trade goods )

So if you have 30 plump helmet seeds laying in the still after some brewing, they are all being picked up by one dwarf, where before they would be 30 different jobs.

If your planter at the same time wants to sow, you can get the no seed message, since not only are the seeds being picked up part of one task, but also the storage where those seeds are being stored will be considered "busy".

Overall this is a great chance, since it requires far less hauling. You just need to rearrange stockpiles slightly different. If you got a stockpile for each type of seed you want to farm, and each of those stockpiles having room for 2 seed bags ( no barrels ) Whit this set up it's very rare to get a "no seed" message.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: April 15, 2018, 12:23:54 pm »

I plan to build a underground well, but I'm not sure if its flood- and siegeproof

No and no. Here's one recommended design that's both:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pressure#Safe_well

So ever since I started playing again I've been constantly harassed by claims of not having any seeds for my plump helmets. What change is it that has led to this trend?

Storing anything in a barrel blocks access to everything else in the barrel until the job completes. Don't store your actively farmed seeds in barrels.

My farmer's keep making thread out of hair that I think they get from the refuse pile, and it's not getting stocked in the cloth pile, nor is it labelled correctly - it's not "[Animal] Yarn" but "[Animal] Thread". Is this thread useless and a glitch or something?

Hair thread cannot be woven into cloth, but it can be used for some jobs like suturing and book binding.

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: April 15, 2018, 12:57:57 pm »

Thank you very much!

Just to be clear: there can be any number of empty space tiles between the well and the water source. It does not need water in the z-level just below it.

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: April 15, 2018, 01:05:51 pm »

Yeah, that was news to me. Makes everything a lot easier..
Pardon for my mistakes

Epigene

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Immaculate Deception
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: April 15, 2018, 02:09:32 pm »

Hi.
I've been playing vanilla 44.09 and two things are as unwieldy as ever - picking construction materials and managing animals.
I know DFHack provides plugins for filters in the respective menus, but I was wondering if there is there a way to, for example, configure what meterials show up for constructuctions (b-C) in a configuration file or somesuch without setting up DFH.
It wasn't me, I was dead at the time.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 268