Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435848 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3660 on: July 07, 2019, 10:03:29 am »

@Large Wereroach: You might try a minecart route that takes a craft from a stockpile, waits a day to move a stop (so that same dwarf won't do everything), then goes to put it on different stockpile that then gives to the first stockpile.

@xZippy:

1) You can look at coins. Each coin metal has unique design for the season. Can look at them, then collect them in coins stockpile as calendar of time passing in fort.

You can also melt them, either by splitting through trade depot first or not. Each 500 stack gives back 1,1 bars; split up it'll give 50 (so about twice as efficient per job). Best way to multiply metals not typical for weapons/armour.

Note on Ulfarr's answer: Any danger room design that hits the dwarf (so, all but like 1 minecart design), can give red wounds afaik (at least with featherwood earring dropping 1z), which can get infected, which can kill the dwarf. You may find it amusing to stick werebeasts or your enemies inside instead.

As barter goods to haul away to the caravan, they're useful for practising bartering - easy way to level up your broker's social skills. In terms of value itself, they're relatively worthless.

In adventure mode, you can throw them at enemies.

2) Odd flex, but most modern AC won't work if it is not provided with electricity. A villainous plot to sabotage it, overload corks, swindle enough money from the budget that it can't be paid for or seduction to get everyone outside might work. The last is also necessary to prevent various non-electrical climate control methods.

3) To add to what Ulfarr said, there are two main reasons to assign training weapons: 1) you want to train armor user on wildlife. 2) You want a wooden spear or sth that you can stick in a weapon trap that won't break (and that can burn forever, if that's desired).

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: July 07, 2019, 07:07:20 pm »

Are level 7 water tiles still dangerous if there's a ramp in the water? I made a moat but forgot to remove the ramps.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: July 07, 2019, 07:48:29 pm »

Are level 7 water tiles still dangerous if there's a ramp in the water? I made a moat but forgot to remove the ramps.

Not for any creature with swimming.  I think it would be if it were magma.  Water though... Excellent question.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: July 08, 2019, 03:14:57 am »

Looking at my drowned military, I'd say yes, if they don't have swimming (or have temporarily forgotten it due stunning, potentially). The distance they'll get to move before drowning is maybe quarter of the nominal twenty tiles, though the toughest (iirc; check when you decide to drown half your fortress) dwarves can take three times as long (just over an in-game day) to drown as the least tough ones.

It's not unusual for military fights near murky pool to result in more casualties to water than to enemies.

Plus they can move under the bridge and drown no matter the level.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: July 08, 2019, 12:51:32 pm »

If you are asking if the ramps are dangerous because they allow a creature to walk into or out of the moat, they can be... Creatures that can ignore water (animated dead, were-folk, some mega-monsters) can walk down the ramp, walk through the water, and walk up the second ramp, and they will usually do this if they can see an enemy. Putting a simple wall on the inside of the moat will block some of these creatures because it will block line of sight to their enemy.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3665 on: July 11, 2019, 06:13:27 am »

Does accepting entertainers or monster slayers reduce the amount of migrants you get?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: July 11, 2019, 07:10:06 am »

Migrants depend on your fortress fame (mainly trade and death, as it seems) and population cap. So, not really, as long as your pop cap allows for more migrants.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: July 11, 2019, 10:34:29 am »

To expand on Sver's answer a bit.

Any visitor you accept as a long term resident does count toward the pop cap regardless of their citizenship status, so depending on what your pop cap is you might find yourself with a fort full of people that can't be assigned any useful labor.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: July 11, 2019, 11:05:29 am »

Never hitting the pop cap, but often find my fort at a "8 command-able citizens, 19 bards/guests/mercs/kids"
state due to monsters and invaders killing my dorfs.   Maybe _this_ time I'll put bard pile in front of caves-stair.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: July 12, 2019, 07:59:41 am »

When I send most of my dwarves in a burrow during a siege, I keep getting constant updates of "something something cancelled, inaccessible something". This is obnoxious if you're using SoundSense and also, my FPS is getting murdered. Is there a way around these problems or is this just how the game is?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. New question. When doing missions, is there a way you can see your "chance of success"? Assuming it even works that way.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:29:36 am by xZippy »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: July 12, 2019, 09:47:46 am »

You can guess by looking at what lives in the site. If they have something bigger than, say, 1 mil body size (even horses, at half that, have been noted to stack kills) and you don't, or if their leader is grandmaster military tactican (and possibly leader/organizer) and yours cannot match their skill (or worse, is unskilled) I'd think it is reasonable to expect casualties and being repelled.

Actual chance, though, you need to savescum and do the mission twenty times. Between mission save corruption, jumping in trees at map edge wildlife then killing fps and even desertion, even the simplest mission isn't a guaranteed success.

(I harbor a vague guess, based on pretty much nothing, that the corruption might be linked to some offloaded calcs happening once a season now; if that it should be worst chance near/end of a season, depending on how the offloading is calculated; I'd gues the latter. Such testing would help confirm when the corruption is more likely. )

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: July 13, 2019, 03:11:27 am »

The "number of beasts" you can set before generating a world... Can that control werebeasts as well?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: July 13, 2019, 03:32:14 am »

No, it only affects the number of (semi) megabeasts and titans. You can set how many different werebeasts curses (species) exist in a world through the eponymous advanced world generator option but that still doesn't control the actual number of werebeasts.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: July 13, 2019, 09:59:53 am »

The "number of beasts" you can set before generating a world... Can that control werebeasts as well?
For a "no weres, no vampires" worldgen, use in init/world_gen.txt
   [VAMPIRE_NUMBER:0] zero types of vampire infections
   [WEREBEAST_NUMBER:0] zero types of were infections

For a better adventurer world, delete bogeymen in worldgen params:
   [NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:0]
   [BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:0]

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: July 13, 2019, 09:19:07 pm »

I have two barons in my fortress. Look at this image.

Those two rooms at the sides are a bedroom and dining area. Look how much expensive stuff I put in there, and the room values will not. go. up. What am I doing wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 268