Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 436078 times)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3690 on: July 17, 2019, 12:44:05 pm »

I seem to have run in to a weird issue. I've been crafting gauntlets and high boots as mad trying to outfit my dwarfs. m+e shows that all drafted dwarfs wear full metal uniform. But inspecting their inventory shows a horrifying lack of metal coverage for their hands and feet and dwarf therapist confirms this yet when I check my stocks it says I don't have any gauntlets or boots but when I inspect my stockpile and look inside the bins they are currently full with them.

How do I make my dwarfs wear the armor? They kinda need it before heading inside my danger rooms.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: July 17, 2019, 01:56:08 pm »

Could you post a screen of your military uniform setup?

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: July 17, 2019, 02:42:00 pm »

Just the standard unedited metal unform assigned to squad.

Tried disbanding and forming a new squad but no dice on that. But they were wiped out by a werebeast while out on patrol just now so now I have to draft up a few new brave heroes.

Honestly don't care too much and never bothered to figure out how the different layers work etc.
We will just have to accept the extra work load for the medics but I will try to create a new custom uniform and switch to that.

They do already have both gloves and mitten made out of cloth so its something atleast.

Figured out the issue. Setting uniform to replace instead of over fixed it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:05:49 pm by Psilobe »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: July 17, 2019, 08:57:51 pm »

"when I check my stocks it says I don't have any gauntlets or boots"

Manager, etc. doesn't count things that are currently tasked. All items inside a bin, whenever a single item is in a bin, become thus unavailable. This means two things:
- If you set your manager to check daily to produce X number of binnable goods with the aim of storing them in a single bin, you may end up producing up to binful of extra goods, as everytime someone stores the desired good in a bin they all disappear from the senses of work orders.

- Only one dwarf can grab something at a time, for military this means if you make single better equipment for your military commander, everyone else will have to wait to upgrade their equipment once each as a better equipment becomes available.

Seeds in barrels can have similar issue, though there you can mostly solve it with a barrelless feeder stockpile to separate the inputs from output, assuming only a single farmer has a reason to use that particular barrel. (Note that other way around doesn't work; i.e. you can feed from plain to barrel but not other way around.)

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: July 18, 2019, 10:37:38 am »

When you have caged enemies, do dwarves periodically feed them? How do they stay alive for so long? And yes, I know some creatures don't need food.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: July 18, 2019, 11:14:16 am »

When you have caged enemies, do dwarves periodically feed them? How do they stay alive for so long? And yes, I know some creatures don't need food.

I never personally saw it but supposedly they do? They do feed chained up prisoners/people the same way they feed pastured animals though

It's worth noting that cages effectively work as stasis chambers, as (iirc) they don't breed or breath. Aging to an extent, as I remember puppies aging up, but not many animals dying in cages.
I haven't played recently, but cages were a common way to deal with animals breeding (back when everything reproduced with The Spores).

This stuff is probably on the wiki tho
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: July 18, 2019, 12:50:08 pm »

Creatures who don't belong in your fortress won't dehydrate or starve, and this includes caged prisoners or wild grazers. However, that doesn't mean that some of them won't help themselves to your plump helmet wine, dwarven biscuits, or other stuff, provided they have tags for those behaviours.

On "doesn't breed in cage", note that while this is true, already pregnant creatures in cages will give birth (and have the results be inside the cage) as well.

On "don't breath" note, it's more that they maintain their last breathing state. Cage trap won't save a fish if it is already drowning.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: July 18, 2019, 05:10:06 pm »

It's worth noting that cages effectively work as stasis chambers, as (iirc) they don't breed or breath. Aging to an extent, as I remember puppies aging up, but not many animals dying in cages.

Aging is unaffected by cages. Creatures can and will die of old age in a cage.

Creatures who don't belong in your fortress won't dehydrate or starve, and this includes caged prisoners or wild grazers.

Insane visitors, guests, and animalpeople will dehydrate/starve, and your dwarves may actively care for them. I don't think insane invaders require food or drink, though.

On "doesn't breed in cage", note that while this is true, already pregnant creatures in cages will give birth (and have the results be inside the cage) as well.

Males in cages breed just fine. Only caged females are incapable of breeding.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: July 18, 2019, 10:33:07 pm »

Ah, TIL. Thanks for correction on insanity!

Males in cages do not breed fine. I too have heard the legend of "turkey gobbler cage surrounding 8 nestboxes", but relations-indicator is quite helpful in making sense what actually is happening: The hen gets pregnant beforehand, and will remain pregnant for six months, during the time any eggs they lay under the pet cap will be fertilized regardless of where the gobbler is; I've gotten 2 batches of turkey chicks out of a single gobbler I butchered (along with every other gobbler) before the first set hatched.

But I don't base it on just script; in my 43.03 fort I confirmed it in-game with giant wrens, with caged male (built in center) and uncaged females pastured first, then with nestboxes added, all the resulting eggs were unfertilized. I had to release the male giant wren from cage before I could get fertilized eggs for wren chicks (who I tossed into cage eventually, as they displaced some of my dwarves on top of walls they couldn't get down from).

Ignore that, further testing reveals they're usually fine.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:04:53 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: July 19, 2019, 03:10:38 am »

Haven't played since before raiding was introduced but struggle to find a good overview on the subject.

How well equipped and trained should a squad be before sending out?
How deadly is it for the dwarfs?
can you only steal etc or can you "vassalize", demand tribute etc? Is it possible to set up a secondary outpost in a more metal rich region?  Can you annihilate a civilisation by raiding?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3700 on: July 19, 2019, 07:05:43 am »

Haven't played since before raiding was introduced but struggle to find a good overview on the subject.
How well equipped and trained should a squad be before sending out?
Thread on raiding, can attack neighboring dwarf civ also.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169974.0
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: July 19, 2019, 12:10:26 pm »

When multiple items are in one type of room, do I need to designate the room type through one item? Or all of them one by one? For example, I have an archery range set up, do I need to created an archery room using just one archery target or all of them?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: July 19, 2019, 12:12:48 pm »

One. As long as all of the targets are in the archery room then it’s good

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: July 19, 2019, 01:02:33 pm »

Males in cages do not breed fine. I too have heard the legend of "turkey gobbler cage surrounding 8 nestboxes", but relations-indicator is quite helpful in making sense what actually is happening: The hen gets pregnant beforehand, and will remain pregnant for six months, during the time any eggs they lay under the pet cap will be fertilized regardless of where the gobbler is; I've gotten 2 batches of turkey chicks out of a single gobbler I butchered (along with every other gobbler) before the first set hatched.

But I don't base it on just script; in my 43.03 fort I confirmed it in-game with giant wrens, with caged male (built in center) and uncaged females pastured first, then with nestboxes added, all the resulting eggs were unfertilized. I had to release the male giant wren from cage before I could get fertilized eggs for wren chicks (who I tossed into cage eventually, as they displaced some of my dwarves on top of walls they couldn't get down from).

Caged male dogs were able to breed back in v0.40.24 when I first posted about it, I've confirmed they still can in v0.44.12, and, just for fun, I downloaded v0.43.03 and confirmed that they could in that version as well. In all cases I embarked with juvenile animals and assigned them to a pre-built cage before they grew to adulthood, so "pre-breeding" is exceptionally unlikely. I also tested geese in v0.43.03 and v0.44.12, and again had no difficulty breeding caged males for several sequential hatchings.

It's possible that the cage contents teleport bug (where, for instance, burning clothing will "teleport" to the last tile it was in before being caged) was interfering with your results. Building an empty cage and assigning the males to it should ensure that their location is properly updated so the females are able to "reach" them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: July 20, 2019, 02:03:53 pm »

Intruging. Testing my own, then.

||

Well, damn me for my inaccuracy - thanks for making me test this!

And yes, they didn't get pregnant beforehand. It took about a day and half±half to get them pregnant in the room (confirmed  with unit.pregnancy_timer, pastured into cage room on 20, was 831-1810 ticks pregnant on 22)...

I wonder if I built the nestboxes too soon. then (rather than any burning, though I'm not sure how item teleporting would affect breeding naked livestock anyway), so that the wrens didn't have time to idle. Unlike the dogs, they also have more non-idle behaviours, too (chasing the trainer).

@xZippy:

It varies. Beds need to be each made into their own rooms so that dwarves will claim them, though this doesn't apply for dormitories (well, it's more like dwarves will sleep in any unoccupied built bed, or on dormitory floor if none are available). I have not tested how bed claiming and "sleep in barracks" setting sync.

Dining rooms won't be claimed, but still need to be designated (just tested in 42.06; dwarf didn't put food on table until the table they were eating literally in front of while standing on a chair was designated as room.)

Archery targets needs to be individually sized and then also assigned to desired ranged squads; tested in 42.06 by resizing previous individual range with four soldiers training at previous 10 individual ranges (2 after resizing) - they only used the two remaining individually-defined ranges, even when swapping shooters, while other two remained as soldier(no activity).

On the other hand, barracks building itself can be assigned to any number of squads, and everyone in a squad can train at same building.

Noble requirement buildings will automatically be considered part of the room of a dwarf when their room is sized to include them (overlapping rooms in this part can result in small hauling loops)

Stacking the meeting area-like pull of statue gardens and such isn't going to be any more effective than having multiple stacked simple meeting areas, I wager.

A bit similar contrast is how only 1 creature can be stored in a cage at a time, but multiple dwarves can store things in a minecart simultaneously.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:39:22 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 268