Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435844 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3705 on: July 20, 2019, 02:30:34 pm »

I'm not sure how item teleporting would affect breeding naked livestock anyway

The root cause of the item-teleporting (the "location" of the clothing not being updated when the cage is moved) does affect animals as well. If you assign a juvenile animal to a cage and then move the cage, the growth announcement will zoom to the last location of the animal prior to being caged (generally two tiles from the original cage location). In further testing, the caged-then-moved males do eventually breed in the cage's new location, but it took quite a while (several seasons, or possibly a save/load cycle).

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: July 20, 2019, 04:10:37 pm »

Hm I think I may be confused, but I want to check something:
If I understand it right as I thought it had been, all creatures must be adjacent or on the same tile and idle to begin breeding.
Caging males can help, but females can still path to them.

However, would breeding be preventable by way of pasturing the females elsewhere, or locking the door to where the cages are located so that pets cannot pass?

---------
Also separately it's been on my mind, but how well do egg-laying sentients reproduce in forts? I know worldgen it shouldn't be an issue so long as their site has nestboxes, but will dwarves or the parents try to harvest the eggs even with eating sentients being barred? What do they do with unfertilized eggs?
I'm really wondering if these things have been worked out, as I'm hoping to run my next fort (modded) as half dwarf and half kobold.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: July 20, 2019, 07:54:44 pm »

Yes, creatures must be adjacent to breed.  If you can prevent this no (new) pregnancies will take place.

My memory is that caging females prevents breeding, whereas caging males does not, if females can still get adjacency.

There is also the option of gelding the males...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 07:58:05 pm by feelotraveller »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: July 20, 2019, 07:58:29 pm »

Can't geld reptiles though.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: July 20, 2019, 08:50:31 pm »

Can't geld reptiles though.

Not with that attitude you can't! You just have to use the Butcher's Shop rather than the Farmer's
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: July 21, 2019, 01:58:01 am »

For reptiles, you can just avoid building nestboxes for them.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: July 21, 2019, 09:22:35 am »

Hi there. I just had a dialogue that I mistook for the yearly elven tree-chopping limit dialogue. So I pressed "a" without reading the dialogue. In the last moment before the screen flashed away I saw the last line of the dialogue was "[...] become legendary", so it wasn't the elven diplomat, but something else.
As far as i can google, this was a nobles' request to retrieve an artifact, but I can't find any mission on my civ screen or a demand on the nobles screen.
Can anyone off the top of their head hint to what that dialogue was and where I can find the details to what I have probably agreed?  ::)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3712 on: July 21, 2019, 10:30:23 am »

Can anyone off the top of their head hint to what that dialogue was and where I can find the details to what I have probably agreed?  ::)
Diplomacy bug report:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11051
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Tarqeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: July 21, 2019, 10:48:36 am »

I had this embark next to a lake, just now, and for no reason whatsoever a huge mass of water got generated on the land and swept my dwarves into the lake to drown, immediately. Could it be that the tree trunks were considered an aquifer or something?

EDIT: So it was just really big mass of water - as if lake water was generated in the land. Very strange. My third group got swimming skill for starters just in case and seems to be holding, so far.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 10:53:52 am by Tarqeq »

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: July 21, 2019, 11:25:45 am »

Diplomacy bug report:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11051
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, I found that when googling, that's what led me to the assumption that it was an artifact recovery request. If that's the case, I can't find the actual request/mission/demand about who demanded which artifact to be recovered anywhere...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: July 21, 2019, 04:51:55 pm »

Tarqeq: I believe you've found a lake air biome. Merely believe, as oddly, I haven't seen this sort of generation happen myself, but you can check with showbiomes dfhack script.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: July 21, 2019, 11:25:31 pm »

I had this embark next to a lake, just now, and for no reason whatsoever a huge mass of water got generated on the land and swept my dwarves into the lake to drown, immediately. Could it be that the tree trunks were considered an aquifer or something?

EDIT: So it was just really big mass of water - as if lake water was generated in the land. Very strange. My third group got swimming skill for starters just in case and seems to be holding, so far.
Your third group? Did it happen for your 1st group, or only for the 2nd and 3rd groups?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Tarqeq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: July 22, 2019, 03:33:49 am »

Tarqeq: I believe you've found a lake air biome. Merely believe, as oddly, I haven't seen this sort of generation happen myself, but you can check with showbiomes dfhack script.
Interesting! Never heard of it, before! Thanks for the tip!

Your third group? Did it happen for your 1st group, or only for the 2nd and 3rd groups?
All seven drowned... twice, because they always died before the flood ran out of steam, so to speak. Turns out spawning on a peninsula surrounded by lake and large mass of water coming from the land can be detrimental to your health.

Third group were just dwarves with swimming, so they managed to survive getting swept into the lake few times.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: July 22, 2019, 07:19:08 am »

A very newbie question but... Is there ways to help prevent tantrums? I've given dwarves everything they could ever want and there's enough alcohol in my fort to sustain 4 more fortresses. Does the game just decide, "It's time to make everyone insane, R.I.P. the player's fortress. sux d00d!!" or am I doing things wrong?

Also, has the idea of "a dwarf can be a psychologist to help prevent tantrums" been suggested before?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: July 22, 2019, 07:21:26 am »

Do your dwarves have rooms? I tried a communist fort once, where no one owned anything. It didn’t work too well
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 268