Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 434638 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3750 on: July 25, 2019, 07:34:28 am »

You could also hit it with minecarts or ballista. Latter is usually pretty weak, but beings literally made of fire break apart really easily.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: July 25, 2019, 07:40:46 am »

Real dumb question, but when you enable a labor for a dwarf and they do said new labor, will they gain the skill of what they're doing at a normal pace?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: July 25, 2019, 07:46:31 am »

±50%, depending on focus. Plus whatever slight impact attributes and possibly preferences have.

Also, dabbling dwarves work slower (which is more than balanced out by higher levels needing more experience).

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: July 26, 2019, 06:47:01 pm »

Do dwarves care about the size of your fortress/placed being crowded?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: July 26, 2019, 11:11:49 pm »

Sorta. While they can share a tile by being prone, they'll try to seek another pass instead of walking through another dwarf in your hallways, and don't like too crowded taverns - in fact, if you channel an 1x1 hole and put a tavern in there on embark, your game will freeze, to the point where you can't pause.

Neither of those causes any bad thoughts. Eating at a crowded table (that is, a table surrounded by multiple chairs used by dwarves for eating) can give bad, or sometimes good thought, as well as help with "meeting" counter for socialization purposes.

On very rare occassions, I've seen a crowded stairway result in stepping off the stair, and crowded 1-wide walkway next to path to magma result in ‼dwarf‼, and Goatmaan also reported something similar once. But I'm not sure that's related to crowding or personal relationships or something else. These injuries can indeed result in bad thoughts.

Similarly indirectly, if they're crowded together with dogs, the dogs may attack them due overcrowding, and this may make dwarves upset.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: July 27, 2019, 10:47:17 am »

Seems so, but them having population and you being what they wish to attack most is also important (though you can amolieorate that with raids in .44). I think fort population also matters, given how there's two "lower tiers" sieger caps in memory based on what you set it at.

Yeah from what I was reading on the wiki about civ tags sieges tend to ramp up.
From what I understand it generally goes
- fort wealth, exported wealth, fort pop (I don't know if it chooses the highest, or a mixture)
- intensity of the last siege
- available troops and beasts

There's some definite leeway, but the goblins aren't sending a 100gobbo siege for their first one just because you have the wealth+pops to merit one.

Do your dwarves have rooms? I tried a communist fort once, where no one owned anything. It didn’t work too well

I'm a bit late to this one too, but you've got a misconception about how communism works, and the issue that dwarves tend to prefer a place to sleep with a measure of privacy.
Generally within any given fort, most everything the average dwarf owns is their personal property rather than private, at least in that it can be disowned or re-assigned at a later point in time. Chairs, swords, earrings, flasks, etc and the like. Dwarves also for the most part don't care if the only way for you to reach your bedroom is to go through their's even while they're busy sleeping.
The general exceptions to this is the land-owning nobles and their hierarchical system, but even then it's kind of loose as dwarves aren't inherently deprived of food and drink, or claiming personal property.

It's a decent joke, but it also just doesn't work due to that error.

Similarly indirectly, if they're crowded together with dogs, the dogs may attack them due overcrowding, and this may make dwarves upset.
you won't believe how long it took for me to realize there was a reason my dogs would attack their puppies.
If you're going to station a wardog in a 1x1 pasture folks, remember to move their litter (they usually won't die but still)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 11:23:58 am by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: July 27, 2019, 03:03:09 pm »

Do animals with shells or really tough hides have sort of realistic more-than-average "immunity" to some damage?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: July 27, 2019, 09:17:32 pm »

Do animals with shells or really tough hides have sort of realistic more-than-average "immunity" to some damage?
Most creatures have layers, of muscle, fat, skin, and some have additional growths (hair, horns, scales, shells). Each layer represents an obstacle to whatever is attempting to damage the creature. You also need to consider the size of the creature, because this effects the thickness of the layers on that creature.

So if you compare a dwarf to an elephant, the elephant's hide might be thick enough to deflect some weak attacks that would have hurt the dwarf, and if you compare a giant tortoise to a forgotten beast (that has a shell), the FB is shell is going to be a lot tougher. I suspect shells also work as a "shaped" layers, capable of deflecting blows in the way that armor does. I'm not sure how scales work, but they probably provide more protection than skin and less than shell.

So, shells and hides do provide some additional protection, by reducing incoming damage, based on the "mass" and "material composition" of that layer.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: July 28, 2019, 01:37:07 am »

Animals with shells/scales are sure tougher than creatures without, but that toughness usually doesn't really come into play outside of combat with really crappy weapons (light weight non edged weapons, wooden arrows etc). I have an anecdote of an armadillo that was locked in combat for months because it's shell would deflect every blow my militia/hunters would throw at it.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: July 30, 2019, 11:22:41 am »

My fortress got one temple. Went to build a library, but when I assign location there are now multiple to choose from. One correspond to the temple name but I'm not sure what the rest do.

Is there an easy way to view your locations and what they are for? Does other things like hospital, water, plant gathering etc also create location names?

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
making use of forgotten beast remains
« Reply #3760 on: July 30, 2019, 11:30:31 am »

Hi there. Is there a way to make use of forgotten beasts remains that I couldn't figure out yet?
e.g. right now I have a FB "jelly opal" in my refuse stockpile, or I had FB ash etc. Given the amount of bones they provide me with, I was hoping to receive a similar amount of gems  8) or other stuff...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: July 30, 2019, 02:12:51 pm »

@Psilobe: One is your fortress as whole. One is made each time you create a new temple, tavern or library. If you reclaim a worldgen fortress, the zones in its tavern can also be pre-assigned to locations the worldgen fortress had.

Rest of zones don't have a location, though you can find them in the 'R'ooms menu - though this is easier if you rename them from "Activity zone #1234" to something more human like "NW underground hospital".

@Large Wereroach: Only with modding (or possibly mooding - haven't tested). You could simply edit a relatively unimportant smelter reaction, or do something more involved with devel/inject-raws (example with display cases). Maybe something mirroring how leather gets treated as globs to get multiple items out of them? Someone more skilled with modding will have to answer what form of reaction would be proper.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:14:45 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: July 30, 2019, 02:30:07 pm »

@Fleeting Frames thanks. I don't feel like going into modding (yet ;)), I'm still challenged with the micromanagement that comes by default. Also it's not like I haven't got enough gems ;). So into the dump they go.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3763 on: July 30, 2019, 03:40:07 pm »

Press "l" (lowercase L) to view your fort's locations. There you can assign scholars, inn and temple performers, messengers.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Occupation
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Messenger
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: July 30, 2019, 03:52:25 pm »

You know when a liaison sets up the "priority" for items they want? Is there a way to go back and check that?
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 268