Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 431319 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3795 on: August 19, 2019, 05:45:59 am »

There is no good solution on those damn voltures AFAIK.

Marksdwarves need to be given the orders manualy which sucks and hunters seem to ignore birds in general. And even then you still have to deal with them just hanging 20 z leves above your fort where nothing can harm them but your idiot dwarves (well any race actually) still get scared...

After some incidents where I lost a couple of citizens because some volture made them jump from a cliff I got fed up and toned down their spawning rate in the raws. I still get them (along with all the unpleasantness they bring) but it's more manageable now.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: August 19, 2019, 12:52:26 pm »

I have extremely little alcohol left, and though I do see some plants and such in my stockpiles, I'm not able to brew any more alcohol. I got dwarves plant collecting like hell but still no luck. Is there another solution or am I just boned.
Are you using the right brewing job? There's one for tree fruit and one for everything else.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: August 19, 2019, 05:13:35 pm »

Vultures try to steal plant/fruit/leaves.. use that to lure them to where your cage traps or training marksdwarfs are. Much easier than chasing them.  Keep the rest of your food in barrels, indoors.

For caging fliers, use a roof over the bait food and over the cage traps. Wiki has more about this.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: August 20, 2019, 01:00:53 am »

So I had a werebull attack, and I managed to expel those who were infected. One problem, I have a countess who's infected, and I can't expel her or tell her where to go. Solution for this annoying problem?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3799 on: August 20, 2019, 05:22:22 am »

I'm getting very tired of seeing job interruptions being spammed and constantly scaring my animals away. That crap is almost game ruining.
Can place animals in a secure soil-cave where cave grasses grow, very safe from critters there. Can dig up from your main food pile, to soil, and park animals & shearing & milking & butchering in the secure soil cave.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: August 20, 2019, 07:41:22 am »

@Vultures: If you use marksdwarves to kill enough vultures, they'll eventually stop spawning. The effectiveness of them depends on map size but usually if your marksdwarf can see vulture the vulture can interrupt your dwarves. Dwarves do seem to hate item thieves so there's that. Look out for climbing trees afterwards.

Used to be that dot of Discipline was tried in starting dwarves due these issues. Don't recall the results, though.

@Brewing: Stockpile menu lets you reserve barrels to prevent them being used for food storage. Also, if you're linking stuff to still you need to link both brewables and barrels.

@Werebull: Kill her before she transforms. Ideally, without your military (because she might have friends), but can't be choosy and too slow with redirecting them with doors and zones.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: August 20, 2019, 07:53:38 am »

For the werebull you can use a combination of barrows, alerts and locked doors/bridges to seperate her from the rest of the population. What you'll do with her after is up to you, my personal suggestion would be to send her in one of the caverns, if you don't use them, and write a chronicle of her exploits.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: August 21, 2019, 01:41:19 am »

Can you assign specific weapons to dwarves?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: August 21, 2019, 01:45:18 am »

yes it's in the military equipment interface
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3804 on: August 21, 2019, 02:21:56 am »

If I points-purchase certain skills to my starting seven, do they get generated with.. lets say a high agility?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: August 21, 2019, 02:40:07 am »

I don't think so, it seems to me that the starting seven have their stats already determined by the time you get at the purchase screen and any skills you give them don't seem to affect them in any way at that point.

Case in point, since I usualy don't bother to adjust my premade embark profile to each dwarf's wants, needs and attributes everytime I embark on a new fort, I often end up with soldiers that have absolutely crap attributes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: August 21, 2019, 03:45:33 am »

You can view the dwarves stats and personalities while preparing carefully, so you can assign certain skills to those with high agility. Or high altruism, or low stress vulnerability, or preference for beds.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: August 21, 2019, 07:52:18 am »

Has anyone here had a successful fort (at least for a good chunk of time) in an evil biome?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: August 21, 2019, 08:19:57 am »

Define successful  :D :D

The first fort that popped in my mind was Sethatos' Archcrystal which is possibly the longest running fort but you might also find others in the DF Community Games & Stories board.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: August 21, 2019, 03:32:23 pm »

Has anyone here had a successful fort (at least for a good chunk of time) in an evil biome?

I've got a 36 year old fort going strong in a reanimating biome with giant undead wildlife.  Getting started was the hard part.   

<edit:>
Has anyone else had trouble with dwarves getting killed during sparring matches?  I have a bunch of Mace Lords sparring, and one of them just dodged only to end up dead:
The Mace Lord's upper body takes the full force of the impact, but it is deflected by the Mace Lord's *bronze breastplate*!
The Mace Lord's throat takes the full force of the impact and the part splits in gore!
A major artery has been opened by the attack!

The Mace Lord stands up.
The Mace Lord is no longer stunned.
'Soldier' Akrulnosing, Mace Lord has been found dead.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:59:05 pm by Schmaven »
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 268