Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435359 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3810 on: August 24, 2019, 09:19:31 pm »

How do you tell how much food you need for a given population? I had some dwarves starting to starve, so I produced a bunch of easy meals that then rotted because there were too many for my population to haul without making specific dwarves just haul food for a few weeks.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: August 24, 2019, 10:43:51 pm »

Dwarfs consume more or less 2 meals per season.  Going a little over wouldn't hurt.

Various foods (prepared meals, for example) will rot after a time if not in a stockpile. Once stockpiled no rotting will occur (unprepared fish being the exception).

I would guess that in your case the sudden flurry of cooking led to a backlog of meals in the kitchen that were not being hauled.  Personally I avoid this by microing my cooking but that won't be to everyone's taste.  More haulers also helps... or just do meals in batches making sure there are none left in the kitchen(s) before ordering another round. 

Before too long all my forts end up with more food than I know what to do with. Very occasional vermin theft aside stockpiled food is preserved indefinitely.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: August 25, 2019, 02:32:17 am »

<edit:>
Has anyone else had trouble with dwarves getting killed during sparring matches?  I have a bunch of Mace Lords sparring, and one of them just dodged only to end up dead:
The Mace Lord's upper body takes the full force of the impact, but it is deflected by the Mace Lord's *bronze breastplate*!
The Mace Lord's throat takes the full force of the impact and the part splits in gore!
A major artery has been opened by the attack!

The Mace Lord stands up.
The Mace Lord is no longer stunned.
'Soldier' Akrulnosing, Mace Lord has been found dead.

Are your dwarves sparring in an elevated area? I've had dwarves fall a couple of z-levels while sparring on hilly ground outside but they weren't unlucky enough to injure themselves. There is also that bug that makes creatures teleport through walls when dodging which can also lead to the same outcome if your barracks is near a clif.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: August 25, 2019, 06:25:35 am »

He died on the same level as the barracks, and it's surrounded by double thick walls to prevent dodging through them.  I wonder if the double thick walls are to blame?  Maybe he was going to dodge through a wall, but the second layer stopped it causing the injuries?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: August 25, 2019, 06:45:33 am »

I don’t think that the double walls are to blame, at the very least I’v never had anything like that happen when I used them... as it is, it seems like an extremely unlucky sparring injury.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: August 25, 2019, 08:13:46 am »

"Takes the force of the impact" is used when they collide with a floor or wall - also it's less dodge-through and charge-through  (the log will log charging right before), though I've read reports that wrestlers could also throw people. In any case, there was a case in Constructivory where it went across fourty tiles crossing three walls to fall off on the other side of the tower.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3816 on: August 25, 2019, 01:09:47 pm »

occurrences from a few of my worlds about wrestlers throwing creatures:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: August 25, 2019, 08:40:32 pm »

He died on the same level as the barracks...

By that logic, most fatal falls happen in a hospital.

You can use the combat report to 'z'oom on the impact message to see where it actually occurred. 

...it's surrounded by double thick walls to prevent dodging through them.

Double-thick walls are not sufficient to prevent tumbling-teleportation. Even triple-thick walls might not be sufficient (based on one tumbling dwarf ending up 3 diagonal tiles from the barracks, which is a greater distance than 4 orthogonal tiles).

You can probably just shrink your barracks to provide the necessary buffer space--building thicker walls isn't necessary.

LennyTheRed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: August 27, 2019, 12:29:47 pm »

Does encrusting ammo with gems effect its combat performance in any way? 

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: August 27, 2019, 12:51:39 pm »

No, decorations as they are, don't change their performance.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: August 27, 2019, 08:09:36 pm »

He died on the same level as the barracks...

By that logic, most fatal falls happen in a hospital.

I mean he was thrown in the barracks, his blood is everywhere from the throw to about 16 tiles away where his corpse died the first time.

They must have been trying out a new wrestling move.  It seems very effective whatever it was.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: September 02, 2019, 09:30:26 pm »

Has anyone here had a successful fort (at least for a good chunk of time) in an evil biome?

One of my favorite fortress stories is Ravens are Murder by LoudWhispers, a story of conquering the Hidden Fun Stuff through the use of undead ravens. So assuming you're asking about the plausibility of doing well in an evil biome it's quite possible, though I haven't done it myself.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: September 07, 2019, 02:38:05 am »

Is there a way (either in vanilla or through DFHack) to know before embarking whether the site will have frequent rains? I'm not sure if I'm just choosing the wrong sites/biome, but in 9/10 forest biomes it seems to rain endlessly.

edit: Suggestions for other types of biomes are welcomed, my main concern is the availability of trees (without having to open the caverns if possible for RP reasons).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 04:15:40 am by Ulfarr »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3823 on: September 07, 2019, 11:56:54 am »

Is there a way (either in vanilla or through DFHack) to know before embarking whether the site will have frequent rains?
I'm not sure if I'm just choosing the wrong sites/biome, but in 9/10 forest biomes it seems to rain endlessly.
edit: Suggestions for other types of biomes are welcomed, my main concern is the availability of trees (without having to open the caverns if possible for RP reasons).
Tropical dry forest might have less rain. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Biome
It's the high amount of rain, with non-swamplike drainage, that causes a forest, I guess.
*searches low-rain on map*   Also try temperate shrubland, it's got "woodland" amount of trees.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:00:16 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: September 07, 2019, 12:08:37 pm »

Is there a way (either in vanilla or through DFHack) to know before embarking whether the site will have frequent rains?
... my main concern is the availability of trees...

The game uses "rainfall" and "drainage" to *assign* biomes, and trees require water (which cannot, at present, be supplied by rivers, springs, magic, or other means). If you look at this biome chart, you'll notice all the forest biomes have high rainfall. Low rainfall biomes are Deserts, Wastelands, and Badlands (along with some less-explicit cold variants).

Your best bet is to find an appropriate rainless biome next to a forest and embark on multiple tiles (the combination will be quite rare in normal world generation since it requires the rainfall value to change drastically, but can be created with world painter I think). Alternatively, you can just embark in a rainless biome and import wood.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 268