Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 435735 times)

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3840 on: September 26, 2019, 11:02:16 pm »

Considering beasts and titans (which are beings that physically exist in the world) can be worshipped, would it be possible for a powerful enough dwarf, human, elf or goblin to be worshipped too, given enough time?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3841 on: September 27, 2019, 03:05:59 am »

Considering beasts and titans (which are beings that physically exist in the world) can be worshipped, would it be possible for a powerful enough dwarf, human, elf or goblin to be worshipped too, given enough time?
Not as far as I know.
POWER-token having creatures
"Allows the being to represent itself as a deity, allowing it to become the leader of a civilized group. Used by unique demons in the vanilla game. Requires CAN_SPEAK to actually do anything more than settle at a location (e.g. write books, lead armies, profane temples). Doesn't appear to do anything for creatures that are already civilized. Beings with this token behave like civilized leaders "

1.) Are doctors able to operate/heal themselves or does another doctor have to be present?
2.) Does having matching deity statues in temples make a difference? I've never seen it mentioned in a dwarves thoughts.
1. No, they just rest if they're injured and a hospital zone exists.
2. Probably not. Can dedicate a temple-zone to a single deity, though. Dorf knocking over a deity statue might do A Fun Thing.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:09:26 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: September 27, 2019, 03:43:20 am »

There can be situations, however, when someone is born and given the same name as worshipped being, resulting in slight confusion.

3) Prevent military from carrying food (booze doesn't rot), as they'll store it there when taking off the backbag. It's helpfully placed on by default when you create a squad, so either disable it, or destroy all backbags. Alternatively, expose the their rooms to the sun in accurate part or in their entirety for a moment; then the food will still rot but not create miasma.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: October 06, 2019, 07:12:31 am »

I keep seeing "Doctor cancelled suture: Needs thread" even though I've been spinning enough thread to make a temple out of it. Does it NEED to be in the hospital zone at all times or is this a bug?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: October 06, 2019, 08:03:43 am »

It's either that your doctor can't path to where your threads are stored or more probably just the usual bin/container bug that prevents a dwarf from accessing the stuff inside a container when said container is already in use. If you have a chest/bag in your hospital and you are in a hurry to suture those wound try removing the chest from the hospital (removing the zone from the tile with the chest is probably the fastest way) and your doctor should just go to grab the first thread available.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: October 06, 2019, 09:28:25 am »

Doctors will grab thread from stockpiles (used to use prefer this due instantly visible stocks) as well as other hospitals. Though I haven't tested with thread still inside a workshop.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: October 06, 2019, 12:31:38 pm »

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but are 'yarn' and 'thread' the same object in the game?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: October 06, 2019, 01:10:40 pm »

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: October 07, 2019, 02:55:02 pm »

Is there any benefit to making blocks from other materials aside from stone?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: October 07, 2019, 03:09:31 pm »

Additional experience, room value, build speed, colour of block-based buildings.

- If you're going to build walls with wood anyway, can turn it into blocks first so you'll make more masterwork beds later.

- On a single-pick embark, a wood block is needed for a screw pump, and will build walls quicker.

- You might want a magenta well; this is easiest to accomplish through a rose gold or tunnel tube block.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: October 07, 2019, 05:25:11 pm »

Blocks are also more valuable, so even wooden blocks which convert 1 to 1 are still better for room value.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: October 07, 2019, 05:35:55 pm »

I think block walls are also harder to climb than clay boulder or log walls. 

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: October 07, 2019, 08:36:43 pm »

That's true,blocks make smooth walls, which are harder to climb. Even smoothed cave walls.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: October 08, 2019, 02:16:59 am »

That's true,blocks make smooth walls, which are harder to climb. Even smoothed cave walls.
Especially smoothed cave walls.  They're completely unclimbable.  But sometimes you don't have a natural wall where you need one and is isn't always practical to cast obsidian. 

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: October 08, 2019, 06:35:03 am »

Once the fort is past the "just get it built" stage, I make blocks from valuable metals to add value to constructions. My last fort had multiple masterwork screwpumps in the dining hall, built with silver blocks.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 268